"Self Study" Groundschool

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

AirFrame
Rank 10
Rank 10

Re: "Self Study" Groundschool

Post by AirFrame »

Tuza wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 11:05 pmOkay. Yeah not sure. I'd have to call TC to find out if that's even possible anymore. Crazy if it is.
Why is it crazy? There are many ways to learn the material. Why does it *need* to be in a classroom?
---------- ADS -----------

Tuza
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Tuza »

AirFrame wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 8:36 am
Tuza wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 11:05 pmOkay. Yeah not sure. I'd have to call TC to find out if that's even possible anymore. Crazy if it is.
Why is it crazy? There are many ways to learn the material. Why does it *need* to be in a classroom?
Lol. I think you misunderstood what I meant by "Crazy". Not crazy as in bad, just crazy in how things differ over time. No insult. No worries.

flyboy14914
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by flyboy14914 »

I have had two students with strong aviation backgrounds (both were engineers) where I signed them off for their written exam recommendation based on a supervised self-study program. The student was given a written outline of what material needed to be covered, the mandatory reference material, and the requirement to pass a "qualifying practice exam" as proof of being competent to attempt the exam. I also provided the student with a form on which to record all of their self study (date, subject, and study time in hours/minutes). I then added any one-on-one instruction that was provided (specifically this was navigation and met stuff). The student signed the completed form as accurate, and this was then signed by me as their record of meeting the minimum required ground school instruction.

This would have been about 10 years ago in Prairie Region. These students were never challenged by TC when they went to write their exam.

AirFrame
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by AirFrame »

Tuza wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 1:03 pm
Lol. I think you misunderstood what I meant by "Crazy". Not crazy as in bad, just crazy in how things differ over time. No insult. No worries.
Ah, I understand now. Yes, things do change over time but I don't think this has. You still need an instructor to recommend you for the test, and the instructor has to be confident you've done the studying. If you can convince the instructor you've self-studied adequately, there's no reason you can't self-study.

Tuza
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Tuza »

AirFrame wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 10:28 am
Tuza wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 1:03 pm
Ah, I understand now. Yes, things do change over time but I don't think this has. You still need an instructor to recommend you for the test, and the instructor has to be confident you've done the studying. If you can convince the instructor you've self-studied adequately, there's no reason you can't self-study.
👊

mijbil
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by mijbil »

I did all my PPL GS remotely. This was back in 1999/2000. I would do Q&A via email. It worked fine. The motivation to study extra and not to cheat is high since if you don't know your stuff when driving in 3 dimensions, it may end badly. I had no problems.
That said, a classroom environment can have benefits in that questions from others may arise that you hadn't thought of so you learn more from that. I've done both methods over the years and personally I think a blend is best (if possible). Rote verbal instruction by an instructor droning on when I can read about a concept much faster can be painful. If slow Johnny in the corner doesn't get something and asks endless questions it can also be painful. An online start (with email assistance) is a great way to begin and then regular check-ins in a classroom setting is beneficial. These days Zoom/Skype can largely do the same thing but there is still something more in those face to face interactions. It's probably why diplomats still have in person meetings vice doing it all over the phone.
My 2 pfennings

Return to “Flight Training”