SAMRA exams

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

flyfasttakechances
Rank 1
Rank 1

SAMRA exams

Post by flyfasttakechances »

Hey all,

Wrote and passed my Saron and all I have left is the samra. Just wondering if anybody has written it recently? Are there still 6 exams and they’re still using the newest three? (14,15,16)? Anybody know? Which ones have people gotten recently. Anything helps!

Thanks in advance
---------- ADS -----------

Emadkz
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: SAMRA exams

Post by Emadkz »

Do you have any feedback on your exams? I’m writing it in 2 weeks.

concord
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by concord »

i wrote it last week Pm me i can give you some details

concord
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by concord »

HAS ANYONE DONE SAMRA 15 RECENTLY

laplava
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by laplava »

Anyone have any tips regarding SARON?

lownslow
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by lownslow »

Who cares what test you get? Just understand the material.

SAMRA is the meteorology one, right? Is it even possible to blow that one if you can read METARs and TAFs?

concord
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by concord »

no!!!!!!

Skysurfer1
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Skysurfer1 »

Just wrote my exam. Currently using paper instead of the computer. They will not let you know your results for several days and stick your papers In a garbage bin until the germs go away I guess? A bit none sense considering COVID is more airborne than stuck on objects. Wrote mine Friday and results on Wednesday. (Not sure if I’ve passed yet) #14

First question was easy... lulls you into false sense of security. I found this paper very difficult because I think I studied completely wrong. I felt loaded with so much information and so much of it useless. They are nothing like the questions on pilottraining.ca, aero course or Nizus.com (that website is crap because they give you over 1000 questions and a lot of it is garbage).

Best study guide is the Transport Canada study guide along with the weather command and the aero course study material, and the AIM. Read and do the questions fine. Gives you an idea of where you’re weak and then study the stuff you’re weak at because TC play mind games on you with your weak areas.

Right off my mind here is the topics in no particular order:

1. Altimeter over 31.00” what do you do IFR for an approach. (DH and Visibility)

2. What is a Computer Management System? A) engine gauges b)weather radar c)pressurization d) TCAS

3. Trowal: where is the most significant weather ? Near the crest? Farther from the crest? Warm side? Cold side? (2 questions on that topic)

4. Indicated Alt and true Alt where are you altitude wise?

5. GFAs were easier than anything I practiced.

6. VOR reception distance.

7. TAF was easy (3 questions) one asking if the wind on the speci METAR 2310 was as forecast at 2300?

8. Had weather radar and showed a hook so the answer was tornado. Easy

9. GFA on east coast had three jet streams all in different directions and wanted to know why there was a jet stream there. I was completely stumped.

10. What air mass is not prevalent in the summer? CA (that was the first question)

11. An ISA deviation question easy with no tricks

12. ADS-B question

13. VOLMET question (wasn’t a nice one like any of the practice questions I saw)

14. Got a diagram with an airplane under a cloud at the different stages of aircraft performance shear but this one had me in the middle of the cloud between the increased and decreased part

15. Flight Plan generic form wanted to know the best altitude for fuel. A) 210 b)230 c)240 d) 250

16 flight plan generic form wanted to know the wind for the alternate portion. So know what P & M means for wind

17. CP and you have a tailwind = closer to the depArture point

18. Satellite weather image and it was pointing to the tail of what looks like a hurricane what cloud is that? I put jet stream but I had no idea

That’s all I can think of right now. I’ll write more when it comes back to me

Know your stuff all basic knowledge but know it well.

joujou98
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by joujou98 »

blackwire
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by blackwire »

Hey all just wrote SAMRA 014. from what I can remember and in no particular order:

1) which air mass would you not find in canada in the summer? cA
2) can you use DME to get distance info from a TACAN?
3) when flying east-west in NAT airspace, when do you report? every 10 degrees south of 75
4) shown a high level weather radar photo with clouds...what do those clouds imply is happening? jet stream
5) shown a photo of weather radar...what does the massive hook on the right imply? I said a tornado (it was to the SW)
6) prominent fronts in canada during the winter? mP, mA, cA
7) If you are flying CVFR in class B and lose your comms, what do you do? leave class B airspace, proceed vfr and land at a suitable aerodrome
8) types of clouds associated with jet steams? ragged cirrus
9) you see 2 low level jets on a GFA. what caused them? I said the turbulence to the north
10) typical decoding of GFA and METARs. Easy
11) You are approaching an airport and see fog. What does this mean for you? (A) your slant range vis is lower than RVR A (B) your prevailing vis is more than the RVR (C) your prevailing vis is less than RVR B... etc
12) minimum distance for VOR reception
13) pressure is above 31.00. What do you do? (for IFR operations)
14) where would you find the most supercooled water droplets in a cloud? (the one where they ask if it increases with height with temps just below freezing, decreases with height well below freezing, etc)
15) its april and you see fog forming over the great lakes but not over land. what caused this? (A) a warm, moist air mass with an offshore breeze (B) a dry, cold air mass with an onshore breeze and a few others. I said A and I think it was right
16) aerodynamic heating. 500 kts will prevent ice (but will not get rid of it if you already have it)
17) 3 questions on flight plans. I got all 4 wrong which is weird because they're usually SO easy
18) if you have a tailwind with a CP, does the CP move further/closer to departure airport? answer is closer
19) METAR and TAF decoding
20) if an airport has snow and ice pellets, what can you expect on descent? I said freezing rain and mod-sev icing, seems to be right
21) vertical pressure differences in warm and cold air
22) tropopause heights in warm/cold air
23) like 4 IFR questions

Honestly, if you go through these forums and study aerocourse, you're good to go. ignore sharper edge. do as many practice questions as you can, and if I had to choose just 3 resources to use, it would be the AIM, aerocourse, and the CAP GEN.

Return to “Flight Training”