PTR Question

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

Hydronaut
Rank 0
Rank 0

PTR Question

Post by Hydronaut »

Hi, just a quick question for all of you. I am going to start my flight training very shortly and am always paranoid of leaving something so important out of my possession. I am assuming it is normal for the school to keep the student's PTR, buy can I ask for a photocopy of each entry for a backup or would this come across as strange?

Thanks
---------- ADS -----------

cyyz
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by cyyz »

You do have a copy of your PTR it's called your LOGBOOK...

As for the groundschool portion, if you're self study, you're keeping track anyways, and if you go to G/S they can print you out the calander...

Right Seat Captain
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by Right Seat Captain »

The flight school is supposed to hold onto the PTR while you are training there. But as cyyz mentioned, just make sure you put every single flight into your log book imeediately after, and not only will you now have a copy of your flight training, but you'll save yourself a lot of work later on copying the entire PTR to your logbook.

Hydronaut
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Hydronaut »

Thanks for the replies.

Aether
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Aether »

It's your PTR, you will probably pay for it. If you want to keep it you should be able to. Just don't loose it.

Hedley
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Hedley »

If you want to keep it you should be able to
Sorry, Transport doesn't have to make sense. Transport wants the PTRs on site at the FTU so that it can inspect them.

As mentioned before, copy your flight time in your logbook, and keep that, and keep a schedule of your ground school classes, so that you can easily re-create your PTR in case it disappears.

I've never heard of anyone having their PTR stolen. They're not worth very much.

seneca
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by seneca »

my advice is leave it with them! get copies when pages are full!
there will be 2 ways to replace it if its lost your log so it keep it neat and safe and the schools daily flight logs which you can see if you ask nice!
the way i see it is if they lose it they should have to do all the work to replace it! may not be the case if you lose it!

TC Guy
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by TC Guy »

Aether wrote:It's your PTR, you will probably pay for it. If you want to keep it you should be able to. Just don't loose it.
Most (all?) Flight Training Units will require you to keep this at your training location. It is everyone's reference to what has occured in your training.

It does belong to you.

If you change FTU's, you can request it, and they should give it to you.

-Guy

PS: Do keep a personal log... just in case. :)

5x5
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by 5x5 »

Here's the section from CARS....
Pilot Training Record

405.33 (1) A person who conducts flight training for the issuance of a private pilot licence, a commercial pilot licence or a flight instructor rating - aeroplane or helicopter shall, for each trainee, maintain a pilot training record that meets the personnel licensing standards.

(2) On request from a trainee receiving training for the purposes referred to in subsection (1), the person responsible for maintaining the trainee's pilot training record shall

(a) certify the accuracy of the entries; and

(b) provide the trainee with the record.

(3) When a trainee has completed flight training, including all of the tests and written examinations required pursuant to Subpart 1, the person who conducted the flight training shall forward the trainee's pilot training record to the Minister.
So, the flight school keeps the PTR. As for your logbook, I'd suggest you record each flight as others have mentioned and in the remarks column record the exercises trained on that flight. Even if you never need to recreate a PTR it's a good record for the memories.

TC Guy
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by TC Guy »

5x5 wrote:Here's the section from CARS....
Pilot Training Record

405.33 (1) A person who conducts flight training for the issuance of a private pilot licence, a commercial pilot licence or a flight instructor rating - aeroplane or helicopter shall, for each trainee, maintain a pilot training record that meets the personnel licensing standards.

(2) On request from a trainee receiving training for the purposes referred to in subsection (1), the person responsible for maintaining the trainee's pilot training record shall

(a) certify the accuracy of the entries; and

(b) provide the trainee with the record.

(3) When a trainee has completed flight training, including all of the tests and written examinations required pursuant to Subpart 1, the person who conducted the flight training shall forward the trainee's pilot training record to the Minister.
So, the flight school keeps the PTR. As for your logbook, I'd suggest you record each flight as others have mentioned and in the remarks column record the exercises trained on that flight. Even if you never need to recreate a PTR it's a good record for the memories.
Good CARs reference!

I will repeat a portion here:
CARs 405.33 wrote:(b) provide the trainee with the record.

(3) When a trainee has completed flight training, including all of the tests and written examinations required pursuant to Subpart 1, the person who conducted the flight training shall forward the trainee's pilot training record to the Minister."
If someone has not completed their training, the FTU would provide the trainee with the record. (see 405.33(2)(b) above)

If they had completed their training, the PTR would submit it to the minister (aka TC). (see 405.33(3) above)

That's the intent of the regulation.

-Guy

Seafury
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Seafury »

Although you are required to leave it at the School there is no requirement for the training facility to be responsible for it. Please see my thread on Calgary Flight Training Centre for more detail on my own experience.

Further after speaking with MOT your personal log book is all fine and dandy but you will have to prove your proficiency an all areas of training. This is true any time you start somewhere new, but greater effort and time could be required to satisfy the new instructor as the notes and proficiency reports made during your lessons are not present in your log book. You will also have to recreate the log book by your own time and expense.

Anyway you look at it losing your PTR is not recomended.

wings142
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: PTR Question

Post by wings142 »

PTRs are normally left at the school and if you have issue with that, then you should log very flight in your personal log book. The PTR does belong to you but it is kept at the school while you are learning. You can ask for it back if you stop doing the training with that flight school and they will have to return it to you when you ask for it. Once you have completed all your training and applying for the licence, your PTR will then be send to Transport Canada and they will keep it and will not return it even if you ask for it then. So it would be good if you record all your flight training in your our log book.
From an Flight Instructor's view

lazyeight
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by lazyeight »

Once I got my licenses I never looked at my PTR again. Heck, I have no idea where they are. Probably tucked away in a box somewhere in the attic.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

They were supposed to be sent to TC by your flight school :-)

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
Broken Slinky
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Broken Slinky »

lazyeight wrote:Once I got my licenses I never looked at my PTR again. Heck, I have no idea where they are. Probably tucked away in a box somewhere in the attic.
Mine was in a similar box. Found it while cleaning up and was like "well now what do I do with it?" It went into another box and I'll find it in another 10 years.

lazyeight
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by lazyeight »

photofly wrote:They were supposed to be sent to TC by your flight school :-)
My PPL one was, CPL and IFR never were and I kept them. No one ever said anything.

DanWEC
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by DanWEC »

Holy chit a 10 year thread revival! 10 years!
That's a decade. That's the amount of time it takes for a big mac to get mouldy. It's at least 2 US presidents.
In 2006 I had long hair and was driving a Jeep with the top off. I was also likely listening to that stupid James Blunt song on every station because every drunk girl turned it up the second it came on.

Enjoy your PTR.

lazyeight
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by lazyeight »

HA! Didn't even realize the date. 2006, damn... that was a while ago. I was probably driving around a junk VW golf thinking I was so cool with no idea that I would end up in aviation 5 years later. Funny how things change. I will cherish my PTR forever.

Return to “Flight Training”