HELP foreign license conversion HELP, please

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

anasyasserdxb
Rank 0
Rank 0

HELP foreign license conversion HELP, please

Post by anasyasserdxb »

Thank you in advance for taking the time,
Yes, I did contact many flight schools and TC and they both ask me to contact the other!!

I have a foreign ICAO CPL ME IR, where I had my license they credit some SIM hours towards TT for CPL, but in Canada they don't.
Will I have to redo SIM hours in an actual airplane? or the ICAO license is accepted as is? please if you know of anyone who has done a conversion (fresh out of school) please connect me with them for some advice, thank you and have a good day
---------- ADS -----------

jjma
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: HELP foreign license conversion HELP, please

Post by jjma »

Hi,

Where did you do the license? I have done the conversion in 4 different countries (all of them ICAO) and never heard about logging sim time as TT. Was this a recommendation from the school? Did you check the regs from the civil aviation?

Anyways, I did the conversion to Canadian license and unfortunately I had to comply with all the Canadians regulations and process. For example: I flew again the 300nm XC even thou I did the exact flight in my home country but as a triangle route.
If you have an ICAO license you will still have to comply with all the CARs requirements, and that means that SIM time will not be granted for TT.

Hope this help

anasyasserdxb
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by anasyasserdxb »

jjma wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 11:17 am Hi,

Where did you do the license? I have done the conversion in 4 different countries (all of them ICAO) and never heard about logging sim time as TT. Was this a recommendation from the school? Did you check the regs from the civil aviation?

Anyways, I did the conversion to Canadian license and unfortunately I had to comply with all the Canadians regulations and process. For example: I flew again the 300nm XC even thou I did the exact flight in my home country but as a triangle route.
If you have an ICAO license you will still have to comply with all the CARs requirements, and that means that SIM time will not be granted for TT.

Hope this help
Thank you for taking the time and for sharing your experience, In South Africa, we could log up to 20 IFR SIM hours towards the CPL ME IR 200 total hours.
how did you know you had to redo XC ? TC or flight school?
Thank you again

jjma
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by jjma »

In my case, the owner of the school (also my examiner) called Transport Canada and explained the situation. At least for the Commercial License application, TC's forms ask literally when and where you did the cross country.

Your case might be a little bit different, but anyhow 20 hours is not that much. You're probably going to need in between 10 to 15 hours of training to get to Canadian standards.

anasyasserdxb
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by anasyasserdxb »

jjma wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 2:01 pm In my case, the owner of the school (also my examiner) called Transport Canada and explained the situation. At least for the Commercial License application, TC's forms ask literally when and where you did the cross country.

Your case might be a little bit different, but anyhow 20 hours is not that much. You're probably going to need in between 10 to 15 hours of training to get to Canadian standards.
Thank you , Im grateful for your time

Return to “Flight Training”