Class 2 Instructor ride

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

shamrock104
Rank 8
Rank 8

Class 2 Instructor ride

Post by shamrock104 »

Does anyone have any advice or recommendations for a Class 2 ride? Thanks for your time.
---------- ADS -----------

780Pilot
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: Class 2 Instructor ride

Post by 780Pilot »

Did mine 5 days ago. Know your theory of flight, full stop. Chances are he is gonna give you an exercise like pwr on stalls where you can talk about the theory of flight for that maneuver. That's what separates you from a class 3 is being able to confidently explain this to a student and tie it all together. Why does aileron aggravate a stall for example. Beside that, follow the FIG and you will be fine. Understanding the role and responsibility of a class 2 is tested as well but its usually super easy questions.

Big Pistons Forever
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Big Pistons Forever »

What 780Pilot said, however you should also be prepared to answer questions about the responsibilities of a CFI as per CAR 426.22 (4). You should be able to provide “how” answers. Eg for 426.22 (4) (b); this is how I will supervise all flight and ground instructors.

As a class 2 you are also able to supervise Class 4’s, so you should be able to explain how you are going to do that. You may also get a supervision scenario. Eg the examiner says “ Hi I am a new Class 4 and my student is having trouble landing, can you help me out ?”

780Pilot
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by 780Pilot »

Big Pistons Forever wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 4:15 pm What 780Pilot said, however you should also be prepared to answer questions about the responsibilities of a CFI as per CAR 426.22 (4). You should be able to provide “how” answers. Eg for 426.22 (4) (b); this is how I will supervise all flight and ground instructors.

As a class 2 you are also able to supervise Class 4’s, so you should be able to explain how you are going to do that. You may also get a supervision scenario. Eg the examiner says “ Hi I am a new Class 4 and my student is having trouble landing, can you help me out ?”
Bingo, was in a rush posting before dinner lol. Examples. What is the responsibility of a CFI? To maintain operational control. How? Daily Flight Record. How to supervise in general especially the class 4. My scenario was similar to that pistons said. Class 4 came to me and said his student kept adding full right aileron in pwr on stalls.

shamrock104
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by shamrock104 »

Thanks for the replies guys.

Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Bede »

If I recall decades ago I was asked how I will supervise other instructors. I gave the stock response. Then I was asked how I will supervise instructors on days off or holidays. If you say shut the school down, that's not the right answer.

Squaretail
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Squaretail »

The other question that gets asked is how you will supervise a class one or another class two working under you.

I'm not sure what's more depressing: That everyone has a price, or how low the price always is.
Tony_Choel
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Tony_Choel »

All of the previous answers pretty much sum up what you can expect. I would add that it can depend on the situation you're going through your Class 2. I have two friends who both did it with the same examiner, approx one year apart. The examiner knew one of them was going to be the next CFI of the school, while the other one wasn't doing it for a direct position of supervision in the near future. Their rides were directed according to the different projects of each one, with the first one more oriented to CFI position and duties, while the other one was more about the instructing skills.

Return to “Flight Training”