Is Winnipeg the good choice ?

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

iYehia
Rank 0
Rank 0

Is Winnipeg the good choice ?

Post by iYehia »

Lately I've been emailing a bunch of flight schools all over Canada as an international student and I felt comfortable towards Harv's air in Winnipeg, Manitoba :bear:

My only concern is the city itself.
Regardless the cold weather,
is Winnipeg a good choice when it comes to opportunities after finishing my training ? or should I reconsider somewhere around Vancouver or Toronto?

Also if you have any other concerns about the city I would be glad to know your perspective.

Thanks.
---------- ADS -----------

shamrock104
Rank 8
Rank 8

Re: Is Winnipeg the good choice ?

Post by shamrock104 »

I would prefer Bimini or Tortola myself. It should be a pretty decent choice for Winter training as you will get more VFR days there than say Vancouver.
Also your rent will be a lot more inexpensive and it may be a little easier to secure employment there once you have completed all of your training.

RoAF-Mig21
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by RoAF-Mig21 »

iYehia wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 8:26 am Lately I've been emailing a bunch of flight schools all over Canada as an international student and I felt comfortable towards Harv's air in Winnipeg, Manitoba :bear:

My only concern is the city itself.
Regardless the cold weather,
is Winnipeg a good choice when it comes to opportunities after finishing my training ? or should I reconsider somewhere around Vancouver or Toronto?

Also if you have any other concerns about the city I would be glad to know your perspective.

Thanks.
The short answer is: YES.

I moved to Winnipeg so I can start my aviation career (as a rampie and eventually a flying position) and what was supposed to be a temporary 2 - 3 years turned into 7 years. Eventually we moved out of there because I couldn't handle the long winters anymore, but it's not as bad as people make it out to be. The opportunities are really good for a new pilot, both flying out of Winnipeg Int'l and St. Andrews.

The cost of living is much better than Toronto or Vancouver. There are many areas to live in Winnipeg that are fun and safe. South of downtown, Osborne Village is really great. We had a good time there and summers and fall are really nice. Although the city may get a bad rep from people that know very little about it, once you get to live there you'll find its charm.

Again, we moved out because of weather, but as a career starter, I highly recommend it. Just my two cents.

Float_lover
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Float_lover »

The training site and the job site are not necessary linked but there is way more entry-level job in the Manitoba and NW Ontario than in Vancouver or Toronto area.
Go there if you feel good and then you can still move after your training where you want to!

Turboprops
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Turboprops »

There’s almost no entry level jobs in Van/GTA except instructing.
Winnipeg on the other hand has quite a few 703/4, in addition to instructor jobs.
Honestly if you can’t handle the cold weather (for at least a few winters), you’re gonna have a really bad time being a pilot in Canada.

RoAF-Mig21
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by RoAF-Mig21 »

Turboprops wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 11:05 am There’s almost no entry level jobs in Van/GTA except instructing.
Winnipeg on the other hand has quite a few 703/4, in addition to instructor jobs.
Honestly if you can’t handle the cold weather (for at least a few winters), you’re gonna have a really bad time being a pilot in Canada.
I second that opinion.

Donald
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Donald »

Normally, Winnipeg is NEVER a good choice 🤣

iYehia
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by iYehia »

Turboprops wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 11:05 am There’s almost no entry level jobs in Van/GTA except instructing.
What do you think about Calgary and Alberta in general ?

iYehia
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by iYehia »

Donald wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 2:04 pm Normally, Winnipeg is NEVER a good choice 🤣
Said no polar bear :bear: :lol:

iYehia
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by iYehia »

shamrock104 wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 9:26 am I would prefer Bimini or Tortola myself. It should be a pretty decent choice for Winter training as you will get more VFR days there than say Vancouver.
Also your rent will be a lot more inexpensive and it may be a little easier to secure employment there once you have completed all of your training.
The only reason I could go to Winnipeg is Harv's honestly, It's really hard to communicate with flight schools overseas and trust them when you can not visit the school yourself.

RoAF-Mig21
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by RoAF-Mig21 »

If I can add something to my advice:

- Make sure you listen to those that are living or have lived in Winnipeg. There is a life outside of flying. I'm not a fan of Winnipeg; I actually moved away, but considering everything asked / discussed above, I would still recommend it to someone starting out in aviation. The work / life balance is hard to beat for a new pilot. (Opportunities, cost of living, etc).

iYehia
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by iYehia »

RoAF-Mig21 wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 2:56 pm If I can add something to my advice:

- Make sure you listen to those that are living or have lived in Winnipeg. There is a life outside of flying. I'm not a fan of Winnipeg; I actually moved away, but considering everything asked / discussed above, I would still recommend it to someone starting out in aviation. The work / life balance is hard to beat for a new pilot. (Opportunities, cost of living, etc).
That's exactly the case. The city itself doesn't look interesting, but if it's the good choice for flying I'll go for it. Opportunity cost.

Blackdog0301
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Blackdog0301 »

Delete

Last edited by Blackdog0301 on Tue Dec 14, 2021 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
frog
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by frog »

I spent a Winter in Winnipeg and I actually liked the Winter part.
It is great for skating and cross country skiing !
Also the weather is mostly better than in a lot of places. It is cold but dry so it doesn't affect you the same way.

bradpitt
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by bradpitt »

Not as busy as most airspaces in Canada. ie less time on the ground... $$$

Beefitarian
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Beefitarian »

I liked it better before Kalekis closed.

Return to “Flight Training”