air force

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

heron
Rank 2
Rank 2

air force

Post by heron »

I just filled out the application for joining the air force and now i'm having second thoughts. I know i'm not yet committed to it, but i'm not sure what i'm going to say when they call. Anyone have any military flying experiences they'd like to share? Being female, I'd especially like to hear from the girls who have had the experience or are considering it.
---------- ADS -----------

heron
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by heron »

By the way, I already have my CPL and Multi completed, as well as most of my IFR training done, will this make a difference to my eligibility?

Brewguy
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Brewguy »

heron: the application / selection process can be a long one ... you will have lots of opportunity to back-out. The act of putting in that first application can be a big step both mentally and emotionally, your "second thoughts" are not uncommon. Give yourself some time before deciding.

The main reason for backing out right now would be out of a fear of rejection. Please understand, this in no way intended to slam or insult you - but it is a common feeling for many who have applied for the forces, especially as a pilot. Sometimes its easier to say that you "changed your mind", than be told "sorry, you don't meet our standards".

Personally - I would suggest that you continue with the selection process, rather than making a hasty decision. If you do make it through selection but continue to have doubts - you will still have the opportunity to back out later on. Go for it for now, and leave yourself with the most options.

Cheers,
Brew
heilige
Rank 0
Rank 0

Air Force

Post by heilige »

Hi,

From the point of recruitment, ur CPL and Multi IFR are just additional assets, mainly they are looking for "Officer"/ Leadership quality. Being in the airforce, you are know as an Officer and not as a pilot! So if they call you for interview, remember the reason you want to join the airforce is not only to fly but to "protect the sovereignity of Canada" and help in the "UN missions".

As for the process, it will take pretty long abt a yr. There are no biase selection based on sex, so do not worry about it. Just that they may ask you about your physical fitness standard, just to make sure you can survive the week long wildness survival cse in St John's, NFL.

Enjoy the Airforce experience!!

Cheers

Pilot_adam
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: Air Force

Post by Pilot_adam »

heilige wrote:Hi,

. Just that they may ask you about your physical fitness standard, just to make sure you can survive the week long wildness survival cse in St John's, NFL.

Enjoy the Airforce experience!!

Cheers
What can you tell us about the week long wildness survival cse in St John's, NFL.??

Cheers
Adam

Diddy
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Diddy »

Not too sure if they do the course out in St. John's anymore, but I can tell you what they do now...

Pilot wise, you get a 10 day survival course run in Western Manitoba, prior to starting Moose Jaw, which is called Basic SERE (Survival Evasion Resistance Escape,) with the em PHA sis on survival. Out there, you get the basic 'this is how to make a shelter, start a fire, etc...' There isn't much done in the way of the ERE portion until after you get your wings.

Also, you get to spend an additional week in sunny Comox, BC for sea survival before you hit the Jaw. You learn the basics of water entry under a chute, how to survive in a raft, etc...

Once you have your wings, and before you go operational overseas, you do whats called Advanced SERE, this time its the ERE part. Roughly 7 days of being taught how to evade, resist and escape in the event of capture.

Hope that answers your q.

Goler[/quote]

Diddy
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Diddy »

Correction to my last,

Eastern Manitoba.. sorry

Goler

mellow_pilot
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by mellow_pilot »

Ok, explain how there is no bias for sex when all you hear about is force expansion and affirmative action programs. There is a huge drive to attract Females and Visible Minorities into the Forces. Just look at thier current advertising.

I just read that over and it came off way harsher than I intended. Don't get me wrong I'm all for women in uniform and cockpits. I'm just saying that with one position open and two applicants, all other things being equal, chick's gonna get it. Being female is probably to your benefit.

Heron,

The folks posting here are absolutely right, the process is really long. You can back out at any time up until you sign your initial contract. Just because they offer you a position does not mean you have to take it. You don't even have to tell them why, just say you're not interested. So why not go for it? It leaves you with options.

I would also recommend talking to some pilots in your area. There are plenty of pilots who would be willing to talk to you about life in the forces. You could probably even find a few women without too much trouble.

I found talking to actual pilots to be far more informative than any of the infromation availible at the recruiting center. Your CFRC can probably put you in touch with some folks in your area. You could also look up squadrons in your area and call them directly.

http://www.airforce.forces.gc.ca/news/2006/01/27_e.asp

http://www.forces.gc.ca/hr/cfpn/engraph ... -rfd_e.asp

http://www.airforce.forces.gc.ca/3wing/ ... 20&id=1012

http://www.airforce.forces.gc.ca/9wing/site/index_e.asp

Dyslexics of the world... UNTIE!
Pilot_adam
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Pilot_adam »

Thank you Goler
Cheers

heron
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by heron »

Thanks everyone for all the info and advice. Another question though. If I have all my flight training done, would i still have to go thru the whole basic flt training process again? Or is just training on their aircraft types?

mellow_pilot
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by mellow_pilot »

If you've completed flight training at one of 10 (?) college or university programs in the country you get to by-pass the CAPS and Primary Flt.

Best to ask the CFRC, they can tell you for sure.

Dyslexics of the world... UNTIE!
canpilot
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by canpilot »

Ya, that's what I was told at CFRC Vancouver..by my Recruiter...Sound like a good program to me..the Airforce is hurting for people right now..I had training at a flight school+ some University, and they put me into that program.

Return to “Flight Training”