Where are all the Instructors?

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

Desk Jockey
Rank 0
Rank 0

Where are all the Instructors?

Post by Desk Jockey »

Just wondering what has happened to all the instructors looking for work?

We have a small flight school, 2 C-172's, 1 C-150, and a Seminole, were pretty busy, great airport, 703 license and a good amount of charter work. We pay at least the industry standard (if there is such a thing) if not more. All our full-time instructors get paid a base plus hourly. Our CFI / CP is paid a full salary. We don't go cheap on maintenance.

I think overall were not a bad little school (I'm bias), with lots of potential for a new instructor, King Air based on the field that hires our senior guys.
After saying all that we posted a job listing with VERY LITTLE response.

Not trying to complain, just wondering if everybody has already got jobs for the summer.

And - no disrespect to the Class 4's its just we have one on staff right now and we like to limit it to one at a time (easier on the CFI). FYI - our class 4 should have his three by July.

Thanks in advance.
Any replies would be greatly appreciated.
---------- ADS -----------

hz2p
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by hz2p »

Sounds like a nice setup, but flight instruction is almost always a negative cash flow occupation. The longer you do it, the more you get into debt, and the more you get sick of KD.

Brize
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Brize »

You'll hear from me next summer when I'm a class 3, hopefully. :lol:
Till then, have a prosperous summer. Looks like it might be a good one.

Yoyoma
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Yoyoma »

You'll hear from me next summer when I'm a class 3, hopefully. :lol:
He's telling you his class 4 is going to be a 3 in July...And you say see you next summer? :shock:

Brize
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Brize »

Not quite..it's not what you think. I know I'll still be a 4 in Aug. I won't be instructing untill next summer after that.

Flyin' Hack
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Flyin' Hack »

hz2p wrote:Sounds like a nice setup, but flight instruction is almost always a negative cash flow occupation. The longer you do it, the more you get into debt, and the more you get sick of KD.
Well, so far for me at least, it's been a negative cash flow experience. And likely the same for most others like me that are looking for their FIRST JOB! If I had an instructor rating, I'd jump at the chance they are offering: employment. I checked out their website, and if they run the place anywhere close to what their website looks like, it looks like it'd be a really great place to work! He said their pay is a little better than industry standard, too. I hope that someone thinking about becoming an instructor doesn't take your comments seriously, if so, the future of aviation is at risk if no one wants to stoop to the level of being an instructor (or at least as you make it sound they'd be doing). :roll:

It's like the egg saying "I hate chickens", without stopping to think, that without them, where would you be? Not getting laid. If you were an egg, that is. :wink:

Somewhere there's a job where the customers enjoy taking the scenic route...
ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by ahramin »

Desk Jockey wrote:We pay at least the industry standard (if there is such a thing) if not more.
What do you consider industry standard? How many hours a month does your current class 4 spend at the airport? How much does he gross a month?

popo
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by popo »

I think the instructors are gone to get a job at lawblows or canadian tyre.

You get paid for the hours you work, you make a little money, to pay your flying debts, and you don't waste the all summer waiting for the phone to ring.

I think instructors are just getting smarter, 8) .

Desk Jockey
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Desk Jockey »

Ahramin
My understanding is Class 4's are making anywhere from $12.50 - $18.00 per hour, some get paid a base some don't. All of our full time staff get paid a base plus hourly.
Right now our class 4 is billing between 60 - 80 hours per month, and we're getting busier. In the summer it's closer to 100 hours. As far as how much time he's spending at the airport 5 days a week 9am - 5 pm. Sometimes longer but thats generally it.
As far as how much someone is making per month I'd prefer not to comment on specfic's.

Again, the reason for the post was NOT to stir up the compensation debate for flight instructors it was simply a question to see if all the instructors have obtained employment for the summer.

BRiZE,
Send me you resume if interested.

Flyin' Hack
Thanks for the kind words on the web-site, I plan to update it in the next two weeks when we get some pictures of the Seminole.

Fly Safe...

hz2p
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by hz2p »

I charge $50/hr for (freelance class 1 part-time) instruction. I've done way too much ab initio, I prefer tailwheel, aerobatic, floats, multi, IFR, etc.

I keep raising the price to reduce the number of hours I fly. Might bump it up again. You have to have a life outside aviation, and I want to spend more time on the motorbike now that summer's finally here.

jimdandy
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by jimdandy »

What is the base pay? 50$ per week? Its hard enough for an instructor to make it on that pay. 50$ base is just a slap in the face. What ever happened to 250$ a week base, full time 40hrs plus? gas is 90cents! insurence is crazy, and we haven't even ate or paid rent! Instructor pay is great if u live at home, or have a wife with a good job, other than that its a long hard road.

I'd Rather Be Flying
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by I'd Rather Be Flying »

Where are all the instructors?! Well of course we're all busy flying! Instructing, charters, telemetry, fire patrols (soon), scenics....sorry, can't write more....I've got to go flying!!

Have a great summer everyone.

8)

"Come down, your head is in the sky, feet on the ground...come down."
DFione1
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by DFione1 »

Hey folks,
which company are you ppl talking about? What's there website? I should have my instructor by summer and is looking for employment.

Thanks =)

N2
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by N2 »

I'm just wondering what's going to happen when the Avgas starts rising in price the way autofuel has! If the rack price on autofuel is going up the Avgas won't be far behind. The more expensive it becomes the fewer are going to be able to afford it.

Textbook you also forgot to mention that there are no guarantees that even after instructing for a few thousand hours (if need be) that you will end up in the cockpit of anything decent. I have known many a person that has busted their humps instructing only to end up flying for one crap company after another for less than what McD’s pay! Some of these guys were good pilots too but just never seemed to get the breaks, so in other words good advice I think is to have something to fall back on.

Sure flying is a great job but one has to be realistic too. A dream doesn’t put food on the table!.

Last edited by N2 on Thu May 20, 2004 6:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Putting money into aviation is like wiping before you poop....it just don't make sense!
like2fly
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by like2fly »

Desk Jockey,

Please check your PM's

Thanks

nzkiwi
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by nzkiwi »

Desk Jockey,

whats the name of your flight school?, do you have a website?

scubasteve
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by scubasteve »

nzkiwi...there should be a button labelled www on the bottom of his post that will get you the website.

Return to “Flight Training”