Logbook Question

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

wirez
Rank 3
Rank 3

Logbook Question

Post by wirez »

Is it required to record the number of takeoffs and landings in your logbook?

I've been training for a while and just got my PPL, my instructor never told me to fill it in, so now I dont have any of that info recorded. I'm kinda worried. What do I do?
Also, does a touch and go count as an additional takeoff and landing?
---------- ADS -----------

804wonder
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by 804wonder »

Recording the number of take off's and landings is used to verify you are
current to carry passengers. You do not need to record them every time you fly but can if you want to. A touch and go does count as an aditional
take off and landing. Again don't worry if your number of takeoffs and
landings is not recorded. I stopped counting ages ago. :lol:

C-KEEP
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by C-KEEP »

The only ones that I find useful to record are the night T/O and Landings to determine if I'm current for passengers. (5 T/O and Landings in the last 6 months).

C-KEEP
Yoshi Bamboo
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Logbook Question

Post by Yoshi Bamboo »

I have a question that falls into this topic:

Say you're doing a dual flight with an instructor, and your instructor demonstrates a takeoff and landing would you count that in the logbook?

What I'm trying to ask is, would there be a situation where you would put zero takeoffs and landings if you do your logbook properly for currency reasons?

Thanks

Adam Oke
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Adam Oke »

I make sure I have a number 5 written down at least every 6 months regardless of how many entries were made. Just in case....

I don't keep track, or tally take offs and landings. It would just get ridiculous totaling them up.

--Air to Ground Chemical Transfer Technician turned 4 Bar Switch Flicker and Flap Operator--
Louis
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Louis »

One little catch about counting take-off and landings. If you happen to begin a lot of your flights by day, and finish them at night, like I once did, you can't count those in the night column. So there might be some instances where you might want to split it between take-offs, landings, night and day.

paydaymayday
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by paydaymayday »

You are not required to personally log anything at all; except the bare minimums required to maintain currency with whatever you are doing.

paydaymayday
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by paydaymayday »

Yoshi Bamboo wrote:I have a question that falls into this topic:

Say you're doing a dual flight with an instructor, and your instructor demonstrates a takeoff and landing would you count that in the logbook?

What I'm trying to ask is, would there be a situation where you would put zero takeoffs and landings if you do your logbook properly for currency reasons?

Thanks
He who flies it, logs it. When a fellow crewmember does the takeoff or landing, he logs it and I don't. Same for IFR approaches and IMC time.

Dagwood
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Dagwood »

Yoshi Bamboo wrote:Say you're doing a dual flight with an instructor, and your instructor demonstrates a takeoff and landing would you count that in the logbook?
paydaymayday wrote:He who flies it, logs it. When a fellow crewmember does the takeoff or landing, he logs it and I don't. Same for IFR approaches and IMC time.
Ah, negatory there red rider...
CARS wrote:(A) five night or day take-offs and five night or day landings, if the flight is conducted wholly by day, or

(B) five night take-offs and five night landings, if the flight is conducted wholly or partly by night
The CARS do not state it must be PIC to count towards currency. Had this discussion with the CFI, who called Transport about it. It seems that the old rule was it had to be PIC to count towards currency, but not anymore.
A student and instructor can count currency takeoffs and landings at the same time.

paydaymayday
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by paydaymayday »

Dagwood wrote:
Yoshi Bamboo wrote:Say you're doing a dual flight with an instructor, and your instructor demonstrates a takeoff and landing would you count that in the logbook?
paydaymayday wrote:He who flies it, logs it. When a fellow crewmember does the takeoff or landing, he logs it and I don't. Same for IFR approaches and IMC time.
Ah, negatory there red rider...
CARS wrote:(A) five night or day take-offs and five night or day landings, if the flight is conducted wholly by day, or

(B) five night take-offs and five night landings, if the flight is conducted wholly or partly by night
The CARS do not state it must be PIC to count towards currency. Had this discussion with the CFI, who called Transport about it. It seems that the old rule was it had to be PIC to count towards currency, but not anymore.
A student and instructor can count currency takeoffs and landings at the same time.
When did I say anything about being PIC? I was talking about hands on the controls. Now, when I was an instructor, I counted everything even when my student flew it, because at that point, you're still essentially flying by proxy. But if the instructor demonstrates, the student does not log it. Any other situation, whoever has their hands on the controls, logs the action.

Tim
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Tim »

paydaymayday wrote: He who flies it, logs it. When a fellow crewmember does the takeoff or landing, he logs it and I don't. Same for IFR approaches and IMC time.
CARs?

paydaymayday
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by paydaymayday »

Tim wrote:
paydaymayday wrote: He who flies it, logs it. When a fellow crewmember does the takeoff or landing, he logs it and I don't. Same for IFR approaches and IMC time.
CARs?
General consensus, I've never personally talked to anyone who has believed different. (Taking into account the scenarios in my post immediately previous to yours).

If someone has the CARs relating to this specific question, I would like to see them. (Not the CARs above). We all know how treacherous it is to try to navigate the CARs site, and I just got back from a flight so I'm too tired to try and search.

:)

Return to “Flight Training”