Can it Be Done? MEIFR Question

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

Servisair
Rank 3
Rank 3

Can it Be Done? MEIFR Question

Post by Servisair »

I was told today about a posible option for doing the IFR training and i just wanted to get some feedback from you guys to see what you have to say.
I was told, instead of doing the multi IFR training on a multi engine a/c, just get a regular multi endorsement and then do a single IFR but when it comes time to do the test do it on a multi engine aircraft and that would count as a group 1 IFR rating? Would this save money and is it legal?
---------- ADS -----------

chipmunk
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by chipmunk »

Yup, that's what I did. Except don't bother doing the Multi Engine Rating until you're ready for the MIFR flight test. It'll keep the Multi part fresh in your mind.

Hotel Tango
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Hotel Tango »

Don't know if you need any instrument training on the type of a/c you do the test on. (i.e. you need x # ifr training in a multi to get the MEIFR) I didn't check out the regs.

Even if you don't I would still recomend that you do a few hours in the twin before going out there and trying the test. Although you can handle the engine failure fine in your multi training and you can handle the precision approaches and non-precision approaches to minimums and circle in your SEIFR training it won't necessarily mean you can handle the two of them together at the worst possible time without some practice.

My training was on both. A few hours on a single and a few at the end on a twin. The MEIFR is harder than just doing the SEIFR in a plane with two engines.

Hope that helps.

fougapilot
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by fougapilot »

It works,

but you need a Multi rating and 5 hrs of IFR time on multi before your multi-ifr ride.

D

Aeros
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Aeros »

fougapilot wrote:but you need a Multi rating and 5 hrs of IFR time on multi before your multi-ifr ride.
Do you have a refernce for that? I didn't see it when I glanced through the requirements in the CARs.

chipmunk
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by chipmunk »

Maybe they better take my MIFR away - I only did 3.7 on the twin doing IFR stuff prior to my multi ride.

dangerous
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by dangerous »

fougapilot wrote:It works,

but you need a Multi rating and 5 hrs of IFR time on multi before your multi-ifr ride.

D
I don't think so. I've heard of people even combining a multi and multi IFR flight test. It makes for a long ride, but it's possible. So theoretically all you need is a multi IFR preflight test in the actual aircraft, then you can rock and roll. Of course, you'd have to be a real superstar for that to happen.

"Yeah. There is a problem. You...because you're dangerous. You're dangerous and foolish - and that makes you dangerous! Now, let's cut the...crap. We've got a plane to fly. Let's try to be on time, okay?"
~Val Kilmer, Saturday Night Live
Right Seat Captain
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by Right Seat Captain »

I originally got my Group 3, because I wasn't about to fly a multi in the two years following. Then when it came time to renew, I did my Multi Rating, then simply did my IFR renewal in the Multi to get my Group 1. No extra training required. You simply get the group you did your flight test in, with the exception of helicopters.

might be
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by might be »

You can do that you will not require 5 hours on multi for a test but good luck on the flight test.

ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by ahramin »

Same here. I did my IFR on single, then a year later did the multi, one IFR practice run in the twin and then did the multi-IFR ride.

I would be cautious about this dependent on hours/skill. This may not be for everyone. If you are low-time then you will probably need a couple extra hours on the twin to get comfortable. Spend the money, make sure you end the course able to do the flying, not just pass the ride.

Return to “Flight Training”