Flight Training Question?

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

Canada
Rank 0
Rank 0

Flight Training Question?

Post by Canada »

Hey people.

I wanted to start flight training but in need of some input. My job only allows me to fly on the weekend and I want to do make flying a career. Now I could fly just on sat & sun and log 1-2 hours those days wx permitting so the possiblity of flying 5 to upwords of 10hrs a month. Would this be to spread out and would I be wasting money reviewing each weekend from stuff I learn from the past? Would it be possible to do your commercial on just weekends to? I would like to start my ppl soon as the weather starts to get better and hopefully have that maybe by Aug.

I would like to go to a local flight school this way I could keep my full time job and not have to worry about paying a loan. The downside Is it may take longer then flying full time 3-4 times a week. I could have all my ratings by around the age of 24. Then build hours as a flight instructor and not have to worry about a 30,000 dollar loan and riding a back to work.

Input would be greatly appreciated 8)
---------- ADS -----------

Ralliart
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Ralliart »

Sounds like a good plan to me.

Two days on the weekend should be ok.......maybe the first flight on Saturday will be a little review, but on your second flight that day you'll be right up there. Then on Sunday, you'll be on top of everything as well.

The plan to visit a local school to save costs is also a great idea in my opinion. After your licensed, it's always good to have the least debt possible.

I think you could easily have your PPL by August with your schedule if you started soon. I've had numerous students in the past who flew weekends only, or otherwise only 2 days a week. Some of them doubled up in the same day to increase progress and it worked well.

Best of luck,
Cheers

dangerous
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by dangerous »

Just remember that getting your license does not just mean putting 45 hrs in the logbook. There is a lot to learn along the way. If you do your flights on weekends only, it will work, but will require some review during the week. Spend a couple hours a week reading the material, preparing for the weekend's flight, and studying for the written exam. This will make your training go a lot smoother, faster, cheaper, and more enjoyable. Have fun!

"Yeah. There is a problem. You...because you're dangerous. You're dangerous and foolish - and that makes you dangerous! Now, let's cut the...crap. We've got a plane to fly. Let's try to be on time, okay?"
~Val Kilmer, Saturday Night Live
Miss Mae
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Miss Mae »

Something you have to keep in mind as well is the weather. If you only book on the weekends you could have 2 weekends in a row where the weather is not suitable for flight training.

Would your job schedule allow you do some flight training in the evenings (once the days are longer of course during the summer)

That could get you a couple of extra days per week.

Luscombe
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Luscombe »

It's entirely do-able flying weekends/evenings for both your PPL and CPL.

I did both while working at a full-time job, and had $0 in student loans at the end of it. Sure made the job search afterwards much less frantic since I wasn't scrambling to make those loan payments.

I did definitely take me longer to do the whole thing and probably cost me more in the long run, but something to consider is the interest on those loans might be greater than the extra you're going to spend on training because of an interrupted schedule (weather etc...).

Something else to consider is if your job permits, could you adjust your schedule to work maybe tuesdays to saturdays. This would free sundays and (more importantly) mondays for flight training. I did this, and found that the flying club was significantly less busy during the week. Access to aircraft and instructors was definitely not an issue then. Another consideration is weather. In our part of the world, somehow we always seem to get crap weather on the weekends, and sunshine and light winds on mondays.... funny how that works. Don't know why, it just seems to be that way.

Anyway, enjoy the training. Afterall, like most things in life, if you're not having fun, you're not doing it right.

Cheers

youngflier
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Flight Training Question?

Post by youngflier »

Canada wrote:Hey people.

I wanted to start flight training but in need of some input. My job only allows me to fly on the weekend and I want to do make flying a career. Now I could fly just on sat & sun and log 1-2 hours those days wx permitting so the possiblity of flying 5 to upwords of 10hrs a month. Would this be to spread out and would I be wasting money reviewing each weekend from stuff I learn from the past? Would it be possible to do your commercial on just weekends to? I would like to start my ppl soon as the weather starts to get better and hopefully have that maybe by Aug.

I would like to go to a local flight school this way I could keep my full time job and not have to worry about paying a loan. The downside Is it may take longer then flying full time 3-4 times a week. I could have all my ratings by around the age of 24. Then build hours as a flight instructor and not have to worry about a 30,000 dollar loan and riding a back to work.

Input would be greatly appreciated 8)
what about your summer break when i bought my husky it took me 3 weeks to gget my ppl

Return to “Flight Training”