Pass/Fail rate Private and Commercial

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

failed a practical flight test

Partial fail private
80%
Fail private
10%
commercial fail
10%

Total votes: 10

jim1071
Rank 0
Rank 0

Pass/Fail rate Private and Commercial

Post by jim1071 »

I am nearing the end of a private license. I was trying to find stats on pass/fail rate of private or commerciall flight tests in Canada and couldn't. I think this would be a good place to ask some of the people on this, given it seems like a lot of people write here:

have you ever failed or partial failed a flight test (private or commercially), and what made you brush it off and try again! Seeing as all our identaties are hidden on the web I think it would give more accurate (or honestt) responses and comments.

i hope when I do mine my nerves dont get the best of me :?

jim1071
---------- ADS -----------

youngflier
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by youngflier »

don't worry failure even comes to the best of us.... well except for myself

Crazymax
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Crazymax »

I you could put the options for Pass you would have better stats IMHO.

Max

cyyz
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by cyyz »

Crazymax wrote:I you could put the options for Pass you would have better stats IMHO.

Max
/correct, fix the poll..

and unlike TC, your flight instructor and DFTE want you to pass, they're not out there to fulfill a quota...

londonontario
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by londonontario »

are the flight tests usually hard.. or do you guys find that they give you enough practice before the test?

Hedley
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Hedley »

Unlike the written (computer) exams, the contents of the flight tests are NOT kept secret, and guarded like the crown jewels. In fact, you can find them here:

http://www.tc.gc.ca/civilaviation/gener ... s/menu.htm

Print out your guide. Go through it, item by item.

The flight test guide is a "contract" between you and the examiner. He is not allowed to make up extra tests, or to score to different standards, or to not test what is specified in the guide.

Don't show up for the flight test until you can perform all the items listed therein, to the tolerances specified.

Where the F_CK are all your instructors?! They ought to have explained all this to you already!!

Let me guess: they're somewhere taking remedial crosswind landing training?

JW
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by JW »

they're somewhere taking remedial crosswind landing training?
I liked that one.

When I was instructing I was always amazed by how many students I would tell to read the flight test standards and they still wouldn't. Then I would give them a current copy and they would still show up having not read them. In most cases it would involve me sitting down with a student and pretty much reading it to them like a 2 year old at a rate of almost $50 an hour, dont worry because as the instructor I didn't get paid nearly that much.

PEACE!

JW
electraguy
Rank 4
Rank 4

exam

Post by electraguy »

Well, the practical flight test for me was not too bad. I had a guy that is famous for being very rough on people on there flight test and I managed to impress him and got through it first kick. That damn written though, I had to go back and re do MET. That was at the time when the GFA was just coming into being and my instructor said "oh there won;t be anything on the exam about GFA's they are way to new" Got there, did the exam and guess what, a whole bunch of questions on GFA's! So, went back, wrote MET over, no biggie, at least I really understood GFA;s after that!
If your going for your flight test, best thing you can do is just be calm, make sure your instructor runs you through a good pre flight test and makes sure your ready. Listen closly for any hints he may give you but be careful not to take them too much to heart. My instructor gave me the hint of where the "cross country" portion of the exam would be, so I got all ready and folded my map into a nice little square on my kneeboard. The examiner took not of this, and when it came time for the diversion, he was sure to pick a spot well outside of my nice little folding job. Made it through, but they like to throw some surprises at ya!! Good luck on that flight test!

Son, Your gonna have to make your mind up about growing up and becoming a pilot.. You can't do both!!
Barney
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Barney »

Hedley your comments are annoying and frankly very ignorant
why dont you keep them to yourself and try not to break anymore
laws before they permanently remove your license.

Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

" Let me guess: they're somewhere taking remedial crosswind landing training? "
You mean this comment Barney?

Cheer up, I see you are going to be an instructor so you can make it a goal to be able to fly and teach in X/winds.

Hell you may even be able to sell yourself as an advanced flight instructor who can teach X/winds.

Have at it Barney. :smt026

The hardest thing about flying is knowing when to say no

After over a half a century of flying no one ever died because of my decision not to fly.
electraguy
Rank 4
Rank 4

awwww

Post by electraguy »

Barney,

relax guy, you need a break. I thought curcuit jockeys had a sense of humor. Your comin down pretty hard on Ol Hedley. Better loosen up if your gonna become an instructor, if ya don;t its gonna be a long stretch of bad times and kraft dinner!

Son, Your gonna have to make your mind up about growing up and becoming a pilot.. You can't do both!!

Return to “Flight Training”