Offensive instructor

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

training wingz
Rank 0
Rank 0

Offensive instructor

Post by training wingz »

Hello
I am just starting flying lesson. My problem is that the instructor has very offensive odors from his body. I cannot stand it for one whole hour in this C172 - any longer. I am embarased to say something. Should I switch to a difference school? What can I do?
Thankyou
---------- ADS -----------

just curious
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by just curious »

Tell him.... maybe he doesn't know. Better than wasting your money not being able to pay attention to your lesson.

N2
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by N2 »

Don't be shy you're paying the bucks if you want another instructor tell the CFI! Nothing worse than flying with a stink pot! Been there done that!@

Putting money into aviation is like wiping before you poop....it just don't make sense!
Airtids
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Airtids »

Better yet, tell the CFI. S/He should be able to take it from there and you don't have to risk your relationship with this instructor. It's not a pleasant thing for a CFI to have to do (believe me), but it IS their job.

Aviation- the hardest way possible to make an easy living!
"You can bomb the world to pieces, but you can't bomb it into peace!" Michael Franti- Spearhead
"Trust everyone, but cut the cards". My Grandma.
Killer Klown
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Killer Klown »

Nothing worse than a grumpy instructor...talk to him or someone else before another flight. Grumpy instructors can make you start not enjoying flying and more inmportantly it can be a waste of precious dollars

What is the difference between god and pilots?
God doesn't think he is a pilot!
Right Seat Captain
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by Right Seat Captain »

Killer Klown wrote:Grumpy instructors can make you start not enjoying flying and more inmportantly it can be a waste of precious dollars
Whoa, do you even know what we're talking about? We're talking about stinky instructors.

Anyways, if you talk to the CFI to switch instructors, at least tell the CFI the truth about why you are switching. Then something can be done about the odour. Chances are, the instructor doesn't realize this is a problem, and would likely do something about it if told. There have been times after long sweaty hours of instructing on hot days, that I have been concerned about my smell. That's when there's no choice but an italian shower! :lol:

bb lint
Rank 2
Rank 2
Location: the house on your street that never has the lights on

Post by bb lint »

On your next walk around/pre-flight check, stash a dozen or so of these about the cockpit (make sure you take them out of the wrapper):

:D :) :shock: just kiddin ya.. if you're shy, you might try sendiing a polite note to the CFI explaining this problem.?

"Do you tink I’m crazy or someteen?"
- René Dahinden
LT
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by LT »

Shit your pants, and if he has the nerves to tell you anything, tell him, "you too buddy." fart

Tango01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Tango01 »

LT wrote:Shit your pants, and if he has the nerves to tell you anything, tell him, "you too buddy." fart
LOL! Who knows how the guy might take it. I personally would want someone to tell me if I smell or my breath is bad. You're doing the guy a favour anyway. If he doesn't like it, then go to someone else. He is a professional and should act like one (that means no BO, and well dressed)

T01

Timing is everything.
LT
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by LT »

Remember *public broadcast message*

Physical scars can heal. Emotional scars can last a lifetime..

N2
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by N2 »

I have trouble figuring out why students feel that they have to stick with one instructor. They are customers first and foremost! If they are not happy with any aspect of the instruction be it stink or attitude then change instructors. Don't worry about hurting their feelings by saying "I'd rather fly with someone else". If they can't deal with the rejection..too bad!

Putting money into aviation is like wiping before you poop....it just don't make sense!
cedarjet
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by cedarjet »

Killer Klown wrote:That's when there's no choice but an italian shower! :lol:
i'm pretty sure it's the french way.

here's a real problem, what if its the other way around. I've got a student who just reeeeks! i can see myself flying with the window open year round.... :cry:

LT
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by LT »

cedarjet wrote: here's a real problem, what if its the other way around. I've got a student who just reeeeks! i can see myself flying with the window open year round.... :cry:
maybe he just took my advice
lt wrote:Shit your pants, and if he has the nerves to tell you anything, tell him, "you too buddy."

N2
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by N2 »

Add a bottle of Febreeze to the check list and give him a squirt! :lol:

cedarjet
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by cedarjet »

LT: i'm still using the bottle of cologne ur gf gave me for my birthday.

LT
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by LT »

No problem.. =)

She's our cousin after all. =)

merlin
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by merlin »

Sounds like real training for your first job... :lol: That is if you are lucky enough to find a job up north, after training. You wouldn't believe how bad some of the odors I have had in my airplane.... and I'm not only talking about some first nations people, some of the white people can be just as bad.

I don't want to offened anyone, it is the truth though.

Nordo
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Nordo »

We have a 150 in our fleet. On a hot day.....you can really smell the students!! What about the students who wear the fake stettson you buy from avon??

...my question is this; How much dose a gallon of perfume weigh?? For weight and ballance purposes. Its not in the AIP.

Last edited by Nordo on Fri Sep 24, 2004 7:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
I fly because it releases my mind from the tyrony of petty things.
jimdandy
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by jimdandy »

Be glad its her perfume and not something else! :lol:
I can relate, although not in the training enviroment. I had a GF who wore this body spray that absoulty used to choke me! Needless to say that one ended quickly.

Catch & Release, Catch & Release
JD
oldtimer
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by oldtimer »

Just fight fire with fire.
Fire up the old garlic and anchovies and other smells.
Eat lots of beans and fart a lot. Smell like anchovey cunts in heat.
Maybe the instructor will ask to be reassigned and problem solved.

The average pilot, despite the somewhat swaggering exterior, is very much capable of such feelings as love, affection, intimacy and caring.
These feelings just don't involve anyone else.

Return to “Flight Training”