Flight School vs Aviation College

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

bob sacamano
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by bob sacamano »

Let's put it this way.

If you want to fly for AC, an aviation college or University degree gives you 5 points.

--> if you got one of those, you will need 2,000 hours.

--> if you don't got one, they will bump up the total to 4,000 hours.

Direct from AC.
---------- ADS -----------

:smt109
airway
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by airway »

Hi Bob:

How many points do you get for each of these additional qualifications?

Canadian Airline Transport Pilot licence
University degree or college diploma
Aviation College diploma
Military or commercial flight experience
Jet and/or glass cockpit experience
Additional language(s)

AUGER9
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by AUGER9 »

ok so I've read through most of this thread and have a question.
I start my post-secondary education (whichever route that may be) next year and I am not going to an aviation college. I just wanted to know if a college diploma, any subject (not aviation), will help in the future? Or is it only a university degree or aviation college diploma that will benefit me?

Airtids
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Airtids »

Any post-secondary education will help, it just depends on what you're looking for. If your goal is AC, see the points structure posted above. I do believe that as far as diplomas go, aviation diplomas rank higher than non-aviation, but that's just a guess. Remember though, whatever it is you take, be sure you're taking it for the right reasons: i.e. it's something you enjoy and would be willing to do it for a living should your medical lapse, you meth habit becomes an issue, or you just decide aviating ain't all it'as cracked up to be (among many other possible issues). AN actual degree is preferred, but diploma comes next. Also, re-read airways points about keeping your nose clean during training. You are being watched, and you may as well try and create a good impression right off the bat.

Aviation- the hardest way possible to make an easy living!
"You can bomb the world to pieces, but you can't bomb it into peace!" Michael Franti- Spearhead
"Trust everyone, but cut the cards". My Grandma.
SuperDave
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by SuperDave »

Raviolli??? Holy canoli!!!

Holy canoli this is a big thread. I read through most of it, and excellent discussions were had. Good, I might as well throw in my three cents.

In my opinion, I think choosing a school or college or FBO or whatever obviously depends on a lot of things. But in the end you must be able to visualize yourself doing a certain 'something' down the road. Whether it's airline, medevac, bush...whatever. There must be a end goal and a reason we all got into this, and subconciously were all trying to feed our soul. You gots to do what makes you happy, not your parents, or friends, or trying to conform to societies pre-concieved notion of what's "successfull". It's all about you. If you don't do it with a at least a bit love, heart and soul, something will go missing for sure 'cause there sure as hell aint too much money to be made at the beginning. And hell, you may find all the money in the world and a good seniority number to boot, but it will be all but an empty experience if you don't like some aspect of it.

Which brings me to my next point. Once you know what it is want to achive, seek out the best way to achieve it given the nature of this industry. Do it in a way that suits you, or challenges you if that's what you need. If you need structure, schedules, and are interested in CRM right off the bat, the colledge is the obvious answer.
I knew that I wanted to get into bush-flying. Luckily an old seasoned arctic pilot here at the school took me under his wing taught me more things about handling a plane than I thought possible. (I'm not saying you can't get that at a college) This worked out great for me and I learned lots from a person I respected and have made life-long friends. As far as networking goes, I have met many great people despite learning to fly at a small school.

In the end it's about attitude and percevierence. We all make our own luck, with or without a degree...OVER. :D

airway
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by airway »

It looks like a diploma in any subject counts for points in getting a interview at AC. How many points? Nobody has posted that yet.

But if an Aviation Diploma or a Bachelors Degree both count the same at 5 points, I would guess a Diploma in any other subject would count for 2 points.

You might want to consider getting a 2 year diploma where most or all of the courses are transferable to a Degree program.

bob sacamano
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by bob sacamano »

Airway:

I don't have the full point system infront of me, so I can't answer most of your questions.

However, ANY degree works, and an AVIATION college diploma is what gets you 5 points.

How many points does a diploma in tai chi give you? don't know dude.

And folks, let's keep it in mind, you may have an aviation degree or diploma without having flown an airplane, i.e. Aviation Management degree/diploma. Some have 4 year degrees or 3 year diplomas where there is NO flying at all. These work fine in AC's books.

Those are found at colleges and/or universities and not at a Flight school's hangar (BFC).

:smt109

Return to “Flight Training”