MFC vs. OAS vs. CONFED

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

MjetR
Rank 1
Rank 1

MFC vs. OAS vs. CONFED

Post by MjetR »

Hey guys,

Currently I am weighing the pros and cons and making some financial considerations in what flight school to take me from a handful of hours to 200+ TT.

Ottawa Aviation Service will cost me about 45K all in to obtain PPL, CPL, Night, Inst, and no multi time (unless I buy it). I figure I can keep my current job in the Ottawa area while training (reducing the overall cost, but increasing time).

--------------------------------------------$---------------Hours---------Months

A. Private Pilots License--------------10802--------65--------------- 4
B. Night Rating--------------------------3290--------22---------------1.5
C. Commercial Pilots License----------15880-------115---------------6
D. Instrument ---------------------------5790--------20 + 20 Sim---1.5
E. Instructor ----------------------------6950--------30-----------------2
-------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------42712------2322--------------15

As you can see if should take me about a year and half (maybe more) to get it nailed. No multi time though. This seem about right?

-------
Moncton Flight College will cost me about 42K + living expenses for 11 months = around 10K = 52K. However this program gets out into the field in 11 months, you are completely immersed in aviation. The program also yields ME time.

IATP Integrated Airline Transport Pilot Course. Premier program that includes additional Airline Transport ground school and flying in addition to the ICPC/IR elements:instrument and multi-engine rating with the last phase concentrated on the Beech King Air 200 simulator. Finish with approximately 522 hours of ground school and 195.7 flying hours.
---------

Finally there is Confederation College. Costs 12,427 in flight training (flight training is heavily subsidized by the govt). essentially a student is expected to pay only tuition and extra fees such as medicals and headsets etc. The main cost comes from living expenses for 2.5 years = 18K, this puts the total up to around 35K and gets you:

PPL
CPL
Group 1 Instrument Rating
Multi-IFR rating
Some night
Technology Diploma

200 TT
100 PIC

I don't know how important a technology diploma is. I have already spent 4 years and university obtaining my BBA in marketing management and economics in 2006.

Your input here would be greatly appreciated. Kinda new to this fly training thing!

Thanks in advance for your posts

-MJetR
---------- ADS -----------

AUGER9
Rank 6
Rank 6

Re: MFC vs. OAS vs. CONFED

Post by AUGER9 »

MjetR wrote:2.5 years = 18K, this puts the total up to around 35K and gets you:

PPL
CPL
Multi-IFR rating
Some night
Technology Diploma

200 TT
100 PIC

-MJetR
its not 2.5 years long, its 5 semesters packed into 19months
you dont get a multi-ifr
you do get a night rating
you also get a float rating 24 hours on a c180
and unlimited free sim time

MjetR
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: MFC vs. OAS vs. CONFED

Post by MjetR »

AUGER9 wrote:
MjetR wrote:2.5 years = 18K, this puts the total up to around 35K and gets you:

PPL
CPL
Multi-IFR rating
Some night
Technology Diploma

200 TT
100 PIC

-MJetR
its not 2.5 years long, its 5 semesters packed into 19months
you dont get a multi-ifr
you do get a night rating
you also get a float rating 24 hours on a c180
and unlimited free sim time
Sorry my bad, however you do recive some ground school.

"IFR ground school portion of Transport Canada’s exam standard but do not complete the flying segment. This is because there are very few entry level jobs for multi-IFR pilots. All of our graduates will complete their multi-IFR rating when they are qualified to seek employment with air carriers who require that rating. This is typically after they have acquired about 1,000 hours flight time."

Slappy the Squirrel
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Slappy the Squirrel »

Con College supplies the headsets too. Not that it's a big deal, but just figured I'd note that.

To be honest I'd be surprised if it only took you 18 months to do all that training if you were working full time, I've seen lots of people plan on doing it but not realizing once they've started that the flying takes up more time. Not saying it's impossible, but in my opinion it's highly unlikely.

MjetR
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by MjetR »

Slappy the Squirrel wrote:Con College supplies the headsets too. Not that it's a big deal, but just figured I'd note that.

To be honest I'd be surprised if it only took you 18 months to do all that training if you were working full time, I've seen lots of people plan on doing it but not realizing once they've started that the flying takes up more time. Not saying it's impossible, but in my opinion it's highly unlikely.
Alright assume 2.5 years I guess.

Redneck_pilot86
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Redneck_pilot86 »

MjetR wrote:
Slappy the Squirrel wrote:Con College supplies the headsets too. Not that it's a big deal, but just figured I'd note that.

Con is not 2.5 years. Its 5 Semesters, straight through, starting in September and ending in April a year and 8 months later. There is no taking longer other than a few weeks. There is also no doing it faster. If you can't keep up with it, you are out. The price you pay for government subsidizing.

The only three things a wingman should ever say: 1. "Two's up" 2. "You're on fire" 3. "I'll take the fat one"
MjetR
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by MjetR »

Redneck_pilot86 wrote:
MjetR wrote:

Con is not 2.5 years. Its 5 Semesters, straight through, starting in September and ending in April a year and 8 months later. There is no taking longer other than a few weeks. There is also no doing it faster. If you can't keep up with it, you are out. The price you pay for government subsidizing.
The assuming 2.5 years was for the OAS scenerio, not the Con College.

Redneck_pilot86
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Redneck_pilot86 »

I thought of that after I posted, but this site wouldnt be what it is if people thought before they posted. :lol:

The only three things a wingman should ever say: 1. "Two's up" 2. "You're on fire" 3. "I'll take the fat one"
Chop&Drop
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Chop&Drop »

How does it take 22 hrs and 1.5 months to do a night rating?

Slappy the Squirrel
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Slappy the Squirrel »

Probably figured that you need to do 10 hours instrument, then 10 hours total night, then 2 hours cross country... Not really necessary. A night rating should only take 10 hours of flying, get 'er done in 2 weeks

MjetR
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by MjetR »

Slappy the Squirrel wrote:Probably figured that you need to do 10 hours instrument, then 10 hours total night, then 2 hours cross country... Not really necessary. A night rating should only take 10 hours of flying, get 'er done in 2 weeks
My intention of this thread was to see what you guys thought would be the best course of action with regards to flight training. Some of my time lines are a little off because, some months are busier then others and I am trying to be conservative and not bite off more then I can chew. I appreciate all you posts and advice.

MJetR

jetboy1975
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by jetboy1975 »

22 hours for a night rating is extreme. Instructor rating times are off though. 30 hours flying is right and usually the mins are enough but you're missing the ground briefing portion. Min is 25 hours but count on at least 40 hours @ $45/hr= $1800+

MjetR
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by MjetR »

jetboy1975 wrote:22 hours for a night rating is extreme. Instructor rating times are off though. 30 hours flying is right and usually the mins are enough but you're missing the ground briefing portion. Min is 25 hours but count on at least 40 hours @ $45/hr= $1800+
Hello again,

All the hour times’ listed were flying time. There was no ground time indicated on that matrix.

For all intensive purposes, this thread was aimed to solve the problem of which route to take. I realize that there is some discrepancy regarding time and hours, some too much some too little. This is not the point. As i mentioned before, I will be working full time and having a life, so those time can and will change, they were rough estimates to give me a general idea. This way I could directly compare them to my other options.

So I ask (without scrutinizing that chart), what would you guys do? And why?

MJetR

C-KEEP
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by C-KEEP »

I can't tell you what's best for you, since I don't know all of the details from your end that would go into making such a decision. I can tell you what I did and why.

I came out of high school wanting to fly, but not having the money to do it on my own. I also knew that I'd need a post secondary education. I decided on the flight college route. For about the same cost of getting my licenses at a local flying club, I also got a diploma. I went on to get my flight instructor rating and am now employed. That worked for me.

However, I realize that you already have a degree and going back to school and getting a diploma may not be all that important (could be cheaper though).

One thing that I'd consider is what you're getting for the money you are paying. Would you rather start working in aviation on a ramp, as a flight instructor, flying floats, etc? Do you want an instrument rating right away, or can that wait? Do you want a multi rating right away, or do you want to wait on that?

I'm not sure if that helps at all. Hope so. Feel free to PM me if you want.
Best of luck

C-KEEP
CCnCoke
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by CCnCoke »

Have the requirements for a Night Rating changed in the past few years? Used to be 5 hours night dual, 5 hours night solo and an additional 5 hours instrument time.

MjetR
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by MjetR »

C-KEEP wrote:I can't tell you what's best for you, since I don't know all of the details from your end that would go into making such a decision. I can tell you what I did and why.

I came out of high school wanting to fly, but not having the money to do it on my own. I also knew that I'd need a post secondary education. I decided on the flight college route. For about the same cost of getting my licenses at a local flying club, I also got a diploma. I went on to get my flight instructor rating and am now employed. That worked for me.

However, I realize that you already have a degree and going back to school and getting a diploma may not be all that important (could be cheaper though).

One thing that I'd consider is what you're getting for the money you are paying. Would you rather start working in aviation on a ramp, as a flight instructor, flying floats, etc? Do you want an instrument rating right away, or can that wait? Do you want a multi rating right away, or do you want to wait on that?

I'm not sure if that helps at all. Hope so. Feel free to PM me if you want.
Best of luck
Thanks for the response.

Going back to school isn’t really and issue for me. The issues lies in taking 2 - 3 years, of my time whilst not making any money (I am adverse to loans at this point). I can attend MFC or Proifr for about 50K with living expenses for 11 months of training, allowing me to get into the field as soon as possible. I can also take 2 - 3 years working at my rating part time while working and making money offsetting the some of the cost of training.

Ideally I'd like to get to the airlines as soon as possible (cliché I know). That means getting PIC time while FI, until I can obtain mins for regional’s, from there spend a few years (5?) get the WJ mins TO BE COMPETATIVE, then beginning the applying frenzy. Id like to log as much multi time as well as instrument time as possible.Apparently upgrade times at WJ are around 4-7 years, maybe much different once I make it there.

Barney
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Barney »

I would say go the OAS route. You already have a degree so you
don't some useless aviation diploma. If you work and fly on your time
off you may not have much of a life but I know once your done, OAS
always hires from within.
The likelyhood of acquiring a job instructing is very good. The aircraft
at OAS are nice to fly as well.

MjetR
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by MjetR »

Barney wrote:I would say go the OAS route. You already have a degree so you
Yes this is what I am leaning to as the financial commitment is less up front and I can conetine to advance my career in Marketing (great for fall back). I have floqn a few times with OAS and the DA-20' s are fantastic to fly. Also the people there are great.

How long do you think it will take to get a PPL, CPL, FI and everything in between? I have it priced out to be around 40K give or take 5K.

desksgo
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by desksgo »

MjetR wrote:
Barney wrote:I would say go the OAS route. You already have a degree so you
Yes this is what I am leaning to as the financial commitment is less up front and I can conetine to advance my career in Marketing (great for fall back). I have floqn a few times with OAS and the DA-20' s are fantastic to fly. Also the people there are great.

How long do you think it will take to get a PPL, CPL, FI and everything in between? I have it priced out to be around 40K give or take 5K.
If you can keep your career warm and make some money all while learning how to fly you definitely should. If you push forward on the stick, the trees get bigger, just the same way they would at Confed or MFC. The less hurdles and obstacles you have coming out of initial flight training the better. Aviation is going to throw you enough curveballs without you walking out with significant debt and commencing a job search.

Finally, the amount of time it takes will be varied depending on the amount of time you care to devote to flying, and of course studying (which occupies twice the amount of time as flying).

Good luck!

Brize
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Brize »

-Find a flightschool with the lowest dual rental rate and solo rental rate.

-Once you start, never put any money down.

-Pay as you go. (Money on account tends to wash away the instructor
guilt when they charge you for every mili-second of briefings)

-Fly at your own pace. If you want to be done in the shortest amount of time. You will have control over that and no one else.

-Get a part time job and start paying off debt, or at least dont use borrowed money to live (rent, food).

Your goal should be:
CPL/MIFR/INSTRUCTOR or
CPL/MIFR/SNOWSUIT or
CPL/MIFR/FLOAT/LIFEJACKET
ASAP
Nothing more, you have a degree.

Return to “Flight Training”