career choice

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

mcflyer1900
Rank 0
Rank 0

career choice

Post by mcflyer1900 »

Good Morning,

The age old question, AvCollege vs FTU... My question however is concentrated on my prospective path vs training method.

After being accepted into an AvCollege I've been debating whether or not it would be the best choice for me. Do you think in todays day and age it would drastically alter my career aspiration since there seems to be a major push on post sec education?

I know things change but my heart and mind is set on the following career path:

Instruct------------------>career charter/medevac and maybe nearing the end of my career take a shot at commuter lines. It's possible that I would also want to head to the bush to fly floats before focusing a career on being a medevac pilot.

Does anyone think its absolutely necessary and its going benefit me to take the college program vs. FTU? I want know hear every opinion out there in regards to the choices and content of my inquiry.

PS. I do have education to the university entrance level....

Thank you,

Mcflyer1900
---------- ADS -----------

Killa
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: career choice

Post by Killa »

If you already set your mind that you like teaching and you're gonna be an instructor, probably it would be a good idea to train at a FTU and then teach for them... this is what i'm doing... you're gonna be hanging out at the same school for a few years so be extra careful on the FTU you're gonna choose.

Your choice of FTU vs. College should depend on

- your dedication (FTU there's no deadlines, you choose when you pass your exams, this could be a pro or con depending on you)
- your age and previous education (i decided FTU because I already had completed post-secondary studies and I wouldn't have had to move far away to attend another 3 years of college)
- how fast you want to obtain your licenses then work (most college programs last 2-3 years the first session or two is just theory of flight, you don't even fly)
- $$$ cash, (even colleges are expensive and if you have to move out and live on your own at the end of the day it would add up the same as if you went to your local airport)

good luck

mcflyer1900
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by mcflyer1900 »

Excellent relpy Killa, thank you!

The college and FTU I'm choosing between is Confederation vs. a FTU in the Calgary area. Does anyone have any advise as to a good FTU in the Calgary area, and how much it would cost to get a plain CPL w/ instructors rating?

Thanks again,

mcflyer1900

Kelowna Pilot
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Kelowna Pilot »

I'd go the college route.

Don't rush it. Extend your training out and avoid as much debt as possible.

Frankly, your timing is terrible.

Starting flight training is like investing... you should start/buy at the 'peak of pessimism' and wait/sell at the 'peak of optimism'. (It's like Warren Buffet for aviation :lol: )

The logic is that you want to time it so you finish when the industry goes into an upturn so your chances of getting an entry level job are reasonable.

If you finish during a downturn (and one has just begun... it'll probably last a few years if not more), then you're going to find your self competing with hundreds, if not thousands, of guys with way more time than you, and there is a good chance you're going to be S.O.L. in getting a job.

It's all about timing... I can't stress that enough.

Time it right and you could win.

Time it wrong and you could lose.

mathias_now
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by mathias_now »

Hello all,

I'm kind of in the same boat besides I just feel short of getting in to confed this year, by 10 spots. I've relocated to the Alberta area, where I've been since Feb. which would make be avail. for funding here this up coming Feb. My question today is see what do you think I should do, take tech math, and apply again next year? (math is where I fell short, with a 62 in U level)

OR

Complete my PPL before Feb and apply for funding here in Alberta to complete my CPL + Instructors rating?

Heres where it gets interesting. In order for me to receive funding here I need to be in the province for 12 consecutive months, without upgrading. which means I can't take the tech math mentioned above and being on fence is not an option, since one choice cannot back up the other. On top of that in order to get funding for Confed in Ontario I can't be out of the province for 12 consecutive months.

Does anyone has any advice and or criticism as to what I should do? My goals are like mcflyer's(charter/medevac). How much is going to a flight college going to up my chances of reaching my career goal?

Thanks in advance,

Mathias

mcflyer1900
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by mcflyer1900 »

mathias, great question!!! I would love to see handful or more responses to this question as it would also help me set a plan of action.

I Я Instructor
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by I Я Instructor »

There's going to be many opinions on this and I doubt you're going to be in a better place 10 posts from now but:

Getting an aviation diploma (IN MY OPINION) is the last thing you want to do. The reason? "When" the industry goes through another downward cycle like it is now, ALL aviation jobs are at risk, from pilots to mechanics to administrative. If you want something to fall back on, it shouldn't have anything to do with aviation.

Second, to my knowledge, all medevac companies require a minimum 500 hours to sit in the right seat... you'll have half of that, regardless of where you go.

If you're in the Calgary area you're more than welcome to PM me. If money for the ppl is in short supply I might have a solution for you as well.

Return to “Flight Training”