Confederation College accident this morning

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

AstroNOT
Rank 0
Rank 0

Confederation College accident this morning

Post by AstroNOT »

I'm told a first year doing solo circuits banged one in causing the nosewheel to collapse. Extensive damage to the front end and right wing tip. All college flights are cancelled for the next 2 days.

Any more details?
---------- ADS -----------

lowleveljet
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Confederation College accident this morning

Post by lowleveljet »

i've heard that one of the more "successful" students of the group actually burnt up upon reentry into the atmosphere. apparently after looking at the maintenance reports, it was found that one of the heat absorbing panels on the shuttle must have fallen off, allowing the whole ship to burn up.

. .
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by . . »

It's ppl training. Although unfortunate, this kind of thing does seem to happen from time to time. Obviously everyone likes to make a big deal about it happening at any of the colleges. Seems like double points if it's seneca.

Tim
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Tim »

endless wrote:Seems like double points if it's seneca.
:lol: :lol:

tvguru
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by tvguru »

User Name: Donaldson, John
Date: 2009/03/04
Further Action Required: Yes
O.P.I.: Aerodrome Safety
Narrative: The Confederation College of Applied Arts & Technology Cessna 172N aircraft (C-GYAS) was landing after a local VFR flight from Thunder Bay Airport (CYQT). NAV CANADA staff reported that the aircraft was landing on runway 25 and ended up in the snow at the intersection of runway 25 and taxiway CHARLIE. Ops. impact -- unknown. Damage -- unknown. Injuries -- unknown.

fenderdg7
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by fenderdg7 »

looks like theres gonna be a couplea new notfmss's goin around tomorrow.

Adam Oke
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Adam Oke »

fenderdg7 wrote:looks like theres gonna be a couplea new notfmss's goin around tomorrow.
What the heck is a NOTFMSS's? :rolleyes:

--Air to Ground Chemical Transfer Technician turned 4 Bar Switch Flicker and Flap Operator--
AUGER9
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by AUGER9 »

Adam Oke wrote:
fenderdg7 wrote:looks like theres gonna be a couplea new notfmss's goin around tomorrow.
What the heck is a NOTFMSS's? :rolleyes:
It's the schools version of somethin similar to sop's.

. .
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by . . »

CF188A wrote:AstroNOT,

I think you need to sit back, and reflect on your reasons for even remotely getting the IDEA, to begin this thread, in a public forum. Are you just edging to tell the world over a small PPL mistake at any expense/chance you get? Do you seriously believe this thread was necessary / a contribution to any reader seeking out flight training? Your information is pure speculation, and simply beyond IGNORANT. This is a student, working towards a goal, and an accident simply happened. Is it really breaking news in the aviation community? Hardly, especially when at the expense of another student. Could you walk up to him or her , and ask them to describe what happened in front of the public, in front of their peers, etc.? Probably not, so don't do it here.
It's only a big deal because it's an aviation college. There's way too many people with some kind of inferiority complex that love to attack anyone that graduated from one of the schools. Trying to whine about someone who brings this up just bumps the post to the top man. Just let it die a natural death as it heads to the bottom of the forum.

CGZMT
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by CGZMT »

NOTFMSS
Notice to Flight Managment Students and Staff

The more you know the more trouble you can get in!
AEROMONKEY
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by AEROMONKEY »

I just hope the poor guy flying that cessna doesn't give up and keeps working toward his goals.

SuperchargedRS
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by SuperchargedRS »

CGZMT wrote:NOTFMSS
Notice to Flight Managment Students and Staff
better call 922 stat

All jokes aside, there are some things in flying that can not be taught, like driving a car, some people just have that mechanical knowledge where they can jump in a car, motorcycle, jetski, AIRCRAFT and manipulate it, where as others really dont (kind of like having rhythm).

I dont know what the details are, however I would not comment that he/she should keep at it, it may be a sign, better to realize this isnt for you before you get your ticket(s) where you can get others killed.

B-rad
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by B-rad »

CF188A wrote:AstroNOT,

I think you need to sit back, and reflect on your reasons for even remotely getting the IDEA, to begin this thread, in a public forum. Are you just edging to tell the world over a small PPL mistake at any expense/chance you get? Do you seriously believe this thread was necessary / a contribution to any reader seeking out flight training? Your information is pure speculation, and simply beyond IGNORANT. This is a student, working towards a goal, and an accident simply happened. Is it really breaking news in the aviation community? Hardly, especially when at the expense of another student. Could you walk up to him or her , and ask them to describe what happened in front of the public, in front of their peers, etc.? Probably not, so don't do it here.

Sounds like you take quite the offense to this thread. Do you happen to be this student or has this just happened to you in the past? I don't see the big deal in bringing this onto a public forum or for the fact it was a PPL. Ya it's not a big deal but maybe it can also be useful for new students to realize that even tho you're at a college, a flight school, or even with and instructor on board (not the case here however) it CAN happen so BE CAREFUL.

Too bad for you tho, cuz in Aviation, no matter the size, it kinda is news. New or old Pilot, no one likes to be the one who wreaks a plane but why not wear the big boy pants and accept it.

And AstroNOT was asking for more info on it. This offers the chance for people to bring light to if there were issues besides the pilots skill or emphasize the importance of not stalling during the flare (as I have seen happen with a crosswind). He wasn't making fun or picking on the school so lighten up.

My ambition is to live forever - so far, so good!
Adam Oke
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Adam Oke »

B-rad wrote:... or for the fact it was a PPL ...
It was a student pilot with a student pilot permit B-Rad. CF188A doesn't have the facts straight. Other than that, I would agree with you B-Rad. :wink:

Shit happens. Luckily in this case, life goes on. We learn best from our mistakes. We have to take out of the bag of luck in order to gain experience. We just don't want to reach the bottom of the bag and run out of the luck before we gain the necessary experience.

--Air to Ground Chemical Transfer Technician turned 4 Bar Switch Flicker and Flap Operator--
AstroNOT
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by AstroNOT »

Wow....touchy touchy!!!

First of all, nowhere in my short post does it ever mention "PPL"...so I dunno where you got that from. I simply repeated what I heard on the radio (i.e. public) which was :

"a first year student (didn't mention any license) who was flying solo, practicing taking off and landing, made a hard landing and the nosewheel collapsed. No one was injured and there was extensive damage to the front end and the right wing tip."

It also mentioned that "all college flights were cancelled for the next 2 days"

There was no malicious intent behind my post and in no way was it meant to be a reflection of the quality or safety or whatever at Confed nor was it a shot at the student involved. In fact, I cannot even think of one accident or incident they have had over the past many years. I don't see why it is "taboo" to bring up on an aviation forum... Nobody is accusing anybody of anything.

However, yes, it is news. And being in the training section...I hoped that some of us may learn something from the subsequent discussion.

B-rad
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by B-rad »

Hey Adam Oke,

That's actually what I meant when referring to his post... PPL/Student pilot permit, more or less the same thing LoL.

I'm with ya AstroNOT, you're not rubbing this in anyone face. It's just a hit to someones pride.

My ambition is to live forever - so far, so good!
. .
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by . . »

SuperchargedRS wrote: All jokes aside, there are some things in flying that can not be taught, like driving a car, some people just have that mechanical knowledge where they can jump in a car, motorcycle, jetski, AIRCRAFT and manipulate it, where as others really dont (kind of like having rhythm).
That explains why I haven't been able to teach myself rhythm!

global_5000
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by global_5000 »

I'm going to have to agree with CF188A on this one. This thread is a tad unnecessary in a flight training thread. We all know accidents happen.
And AstroNOT you should know that the public will have a highly misconstrued view of the events. How about you wait for the official report to come out before you begin to think that the nose wheel collapsed on landing which seems fairly ridiculous on a fixed gear aircraft - hard landing or not.

Sulako
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by Sulako »

How is it ridiculous? I have seen more than a few 172s and cherokees etc. with collapsed nosegear. Explain to me how it's impossible...

Hedley
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Hedley »

Have any of you graduated from a college?
Well, I graduated from Engineering at Queen's University
at Kingston, Ontario, and I hold an ATPL. Does that count?

As far as why this thread has legs ... lets look at the definition
of a word called "incongruity" which is defined as "the state
of being incongruous", which in turn is defined as "not similar,
matching, or filling in".

You must admit, that a flight college student with a bucketful
of attitude, white shirt with gold bars, brown leather jacket
and green Ray-Ban aviator sunglasses with gold frames is
somewhat incongruous with smashing the nose gear off a
docile trainer.

And, if we look at the definition of "humour":

http://www.iep.utm.edu/h/humor.htm#SH2c

we can see that incongruity is one of the fundamental