Airforce from Seneca, How it works?

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

Hoogomoogo
Rank 0
Rank 0

Airforce from Seneca, How it works?

Post by Hoogomoogo »

I am considering going into the Airforce with seneca as an option because it will make my life so much easier not having to worry about paying for the college fees (which im still not sure what I'll do unless I get a huge student loan). I am wondering what I have to do to get into this, and ANY other stuff that I should know. absoloutly anything that you think remotely pertains to this.
---------- ADS -----------

L1011
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: Airforce from Seneca, How it works?

Post by L1011 »

If money really is an issue for you, you might want to think about options other than Seneca. Sault College is around $13,000 for 3 years and you come out with a CPL and a MIFR, just like Seneca. Confederation is also less than half the cost of Seneca, and while you do not get a MIFR with your CPL, you do get a float rating with more than 20 hours on floats if that's something you're into.

gustind
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by gustind »

Are you referring to the UTPNC? If so contact your local recruiting officer for that info. Other than that, a quick search in the forums should reveal misconceptions you might have had regarding the progam itself.

@L1011,
He might really have his sights on the RCAF which may explain why he is specifically asking about Seneca and not about any other college.

Daniel Gustin
L1011
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by L1011 »

He might really have his sights on the RCAF which may explain why he is specifically asking about Seneca and not about any other college.
Yes, but in this thread Hoogomoogo is concerned about the cost of Seneca with no mention of the Armed Forces:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=52394

Hoogomoogo, you also said that you do not live in Toronto and that you would have to get a place there and so on. In addition to the costs from the school, it is also a lot more expensive to live in the areas around the college/airport than...anywhere else in Ontario. This is another issue to keep in mind. If you are set on the Armed Forces like gustind suggested, you can get there sooner with the other programs which are shorter than Seneca at 4+ years.

On the other hand, if you are only considering the Armed Forces to reduce your college fees....well, again, take another look at Sault and Confed, they're a lot less expensive.

And gustind, it hasn't been the RCAF for a while now :wink:

AuxBatOn
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by AuxBatOn »

gustind wrote:Are you referring to the UTPNC? If so contact your local recruiting officer for that info. Other than that, a quick search in the forums should reveal misconceptions you might have had regarding the progam itself.

@L1011,
UTPNCM is for non-commisionned members (University Training Plan for Non-Commissionned Members). You're probably talking about CEOTP (Continuous Education Officer Traning Program). It is closed this year (ie: 0 slots available). It is only used when DEO (Direct Entry Officer) is not providing enough candidates, therefore it is extremely competitive.

Going for the deck at corner
gustind
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by gustind »

L1011 wrote: If you are set on the Armed Forces like gustind suggested, you can get there sooner with the other programs which are shorter than Seneca at 4+ years.

And gustind, it hasn't been the RCAF for a while now :wink:
Well AFAIK if you want to do the whole officer thing away from RMC the program has to be a Degree program or at least has some kind of minimum academic requirement in it. I stand to be corrected on it if I am wrong. I also didn't read the other thread so my bad on pouncing on a reply to this one :D.

It is the RCAF in my mind.

@AuxBatOn, I stand corrected on it.

Daniel Gustin
AuxBatOn
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by AuxBatOn »

The only option to get in without a degree and start flight training right away is CEOTP and it is closed this year. Even when opened, there are only a few slots and they are extremely competitive.

North Shore
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by North Shore »

The only option to get in without a degree and start flight training right away is CEOTP and it is closed this year. Even when opened, there are only a few slots and they are extremely competitive.
...but, but, but, he's from Seneca - you know, Seneca. Don't they just roll out the red carpet to grads from there?

Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?
Happiness is V1 at Thompson!
Ass, Licence, Job. In that order.
C-GGGQ
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by C-GGGQ »

Unless Seneca gives you a 4 year undergraduate degree (ie Bachelors of science etc.) going there will give you NO chance of getting into the forces.

x15
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by x15 »

Seneca gives you an undergraduate degree.

Couple of my buddies are driving 18s for the Forces now and are Seneca grads. Few others are on course in MooseJaw.

x15
Skin, Tin, Ticket...In that order.
C-GGGQ
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by C-GGGQ »

of course why go to a flight school when the forces will train you up anyways for free??

mcrit
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by mcrit »

Seneca does offer a degree so it does qualifiy for ROTP (we were processing a few applications for this back when I was on OJT at CFRC Toronto). However, if all you are looking for is a free education and then a quick slip into the airlines, read the thread in this forum title "Mil or non-mil".

Rank 6

Post by Jungle Jim »

How about the American Airforce? You don't have to be a citizen and if you get accepted you fly new planes and will have a good chance to do some exciting things.

Jim

CLguy
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by CLguy »

Gustind wrote:
I personally know 6 graduates from the Confederation College Aviation Flight Management Program who are pilots in the Canadian Military and I know there are more. Two of them are presently with the Snowbirds so I don't think Seneca College has exclusive rights to a flying career in the Military.

You Can Love An Airplane All You Want, But Remember, It Will Never Love You Back!
AuxBatOn
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by AuxBatOn »

Jungle Jim wrote:How about the American Airforce? You don't have to be a citizen and if you get accepted you fly new planes and will have a good chance to do some exciting things.

Jim
Actually, you need to be an American Citizen to fly for the US military...
CLguy wrote: I personally know 6 graduates from the Confederation College Aviation Flight Management Program who are pilots in the Canadian Military and I know there are more. Two of them are presently with the Snowbirds so I don't think Seneca College has exclusive rights to a flying career in the Military.
Flying Careers in the military aren't exclusive to ANY college. ANY degree will do. If you want to fly for the Air Force, take a degree you'll enjoy. The civilian flight training won't give you anything, really..

CLguy
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by CLguy »

Actually the civilian flight training you receive at college will allow you to bypass the intial flight training phase in Portage La Prairie. You will start at the second phase of flight training on the Harvard II in Moose Jaw.

You Can Love An Airplane All You Want, But Remember, It Will Never Love You Back!
AuxBatOn
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by AuxBatOn »

CLguy wrote:Actually the civilian flight training you receive at college will allow you to bypass the intial flight training phase in Portage La Prairie. You will start at the second phase of flight training on the Harvard II in Moose Jaw.
Yup, and it's not worth anything training wise. Phase I is a selection phase, to make sure you can learn to fly an airplane. 27 hours. The 200+ hours you do in XXX college aren't worth it IMO, if you do not enjoy your degree. And personally, I'd rather do that phase. It is a fun phase!!

Hoogomoogo
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Hoogomoogo »

Just to clear it up, I am looking into the ROTP at Seneca (Regional Officer Training Program) And i am not specifically looking for a quick slip into the military. It all depends on what I think of the Job when i get to it.

AuxBatOn
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by AuxBatOn »

Hoogomoogo wrote:Just to clear it up, I am looking into the ROTP at Seneca (Regional Officer Training Program) And i am not specifically looking for a quick slip into the military. It all depends on what I think of the Job when i get to it.
Regular Officer Training Program. You won't get to to the job until you're done your degree and even then, you won't really be doing the job, you'll be training to do the job. Once you're done your degree, you'll owe 5 years to the military. Once you get your wings, you owe 7 years to the military.

monkeyspankmasterflex
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by monkeyspankmasterflex »

In the late 80's to mid 90's there was a program called Community College Pilot Entry Plan and it allowed students to enroll in mil in their final year of college. The program was only open to a handful of colleges (Chicoutimi, Sault, Seneca, Confed, Selkirk, Mount Royal etc.). The Forces paid the candidate a cadet salary and paid tuition and flight fees in their final year. Upon graduation the candidate would be sent to Chilliwack/St Jean as a DEO. It was a great deal in its day.

Not sure if there is any sort of equivalent these days. Doesn't sound like it.

Return to “Flight Training”