Patter Cards

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

looproll
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Patter Cards

Post by looproll »

I was getting checked-out by a fresh class IV a few years ago in Gimli, and she had these nifty cheat-sheets on her kneeboard that had a lesson outline. They looked to be commercially published. Anyone know what they might be and where they are sold?

:)
---------- ADS -----------

seneca
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by seneca »

I think the author is named proctor. did they have a yellow cover?

i will check at home for my copy and send any info i find!

wha happen
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by wha happen »

you mean the ones published by transport?

looproll
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by looproll »

no

Wadd
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Wadd »

if you're in the toronto area, you should be able to get a copy of those air notes at Aviation World.

Punch it Chewy!
seneca
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by seneca »

There is a post in the flight instruction form about those notes and other books.

Canadian Flight Notes : Air excercises and lesson plans for FT
(pocket size By Jack Proctor, Canadian Centre for Aviation Training)

bluenote
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: Patter Cards

Post by bluenote »

Would you call these notes "cheat sheets" and what do people think about instructors using these on their "lap" to help them instruct.

bluenote

chipmunk
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by chipmunk »

I made my own. I used them on my Class IV ride and brought them with me until I had a bunch of instructing hours under my belt and found I just wasn't referring to them any more. It's like a checklist, so you make sure you cover all instructing points and remind yourself of common errors, etc. I also had the flight test standards on them, for both CPL and PPL, so it was a nice quick-check on pre-flight tests. I don't think students even noticed I had them - they were always in learning mode.

AuxBatOn
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by AuxBatOn »

bluenote wrote:Would you call these notes "cheat sheets" and what do people think about instructors using these on their "lap" to help them instruct.

bluenote
Personally, I don't see anything wrong with it. It's a good reminder of what needs to be covered on a flight.

Going for the deck at corner
Stick Shaker
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Stick Shaker »

IN-FLIGHT INSTRUCTOR NOTES, Air Exercices for Canadian Aeroplane Pilot Training, by Greg LeBlanc
was distributed by Canadian Flight Academy Ltd. 800-835-9232

E-Flyer
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by E-Flyer »

AuxBatOn wrote:
bluenote wrote:Would you call these notes "cheat sheets" and what do people think about instructors using these on their "lap" to help them instruct.

bluenote
Personally, I don't see anything wrong with it. It's a good reminder of what needs to be covered on a flight.
Agreed, if the instructor took some sort of initiative to make your flight more complete, she's got good characteristics. For some people, the use of "cheat notes" helps. For others, their own notes. To each, his/her own.

MichaelP
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by MichaelP »

I created my own cue cards with exercises in point form.
They are very useful in ensuring everything is done, rather like an aircraft checklist.

C-GGGQ
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by C-GGGQ »

I used the yellow covered one. I mostly didn't use it (other than the first couple times for a lesson). I always brought it with me just in case. Like someone said you do a lesson enough and you don't need "cheat sheets" anymore. For new instructors I highly recommend SOMETHING your own notes or bought notes doesn't really matter. Just have some backup so that the student is getting the instruction they need (Its about the student learning not proving how much crap you as an instructor can memorize)

Doc
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Doc »

looproll wrote:I was getting checked-out by a fresh class IV a few years ago in Gimli, and she had these nifty cheat-sheets on her kneeboard that had a lesson outline. They looked to be commercially published. Anyone know what they might be and where they are sold?

:)
Was she HOT? :smt040 :smt040 :smt040 :smt040 :smt040

Return to “Flight Training”