Mount Royal College

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

macbainz1
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Mount Royal College

Post by macbainz1 »

FlaplessDork wrote:
jljhlhl wrote:Some of the latest posts really have me concerned with strict dress codes? Flow charts for going to the bathroom? And rules over the color of pen you use? Is all of this really true? I understand this is a professional type job, and is serious, but some of this just seems absurd.
Some of this stuff is normal or required everywhere. It's not so much the rules that are the issue but how they are inforced. Sometimes punishing someone is not the best way to correct a mistake.
well also if you contrast, is this stuff all really bad? I mean if I was a major airline or any airline really, I wouldn't want unprofessional people who have been to a college/university where they can do what they want etc and not have any rules to abide..... So it may be a tad extreme but it may be worth it in the end.
---------- ADS -----------

The spirit of human life comes from new experiences.
FlaplessDork
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by FlaplessDork »

macbainz1 wrote:well also if you contrast, is this stuff all really bad? I mean if I was a major airline or any airline really, I wouldn't want unprofessional people who have been to a college/university where they can do what they want etc and not have any rules to abide..... So it may be a tad extreme but it may be worth it in the end.
The problem with running it like an airline is that its not an airline, its a flight school. The students haven't been around long enough to learn some of the lessons Mount Royal is trying to enforce. You can expect someone to do something they way you want them to without showing them first, and they won't always get it right the first time either. I wouldn't punish them for it either as it can harbour animosity towards your instructor or the faculty contributing to an ineffective learning environment.

Last edited by FlaplessDork on Tue Nov 03, 2009 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
macbainz1
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by macbainz1 »

FlaplessDork wrote:
macbainz1 wrote:well also if you contrast, is this stuff all really bad? I mean if I was a major airline or any airline really, I wouldn't want unprofessional people who have been to a college/university where they can do what they want etc and not have any rules to abide..... So it may be a tad extreme but it may be worth it in the end.
The problem with running it like an airline is that its not an airline, its a flight school. They haven't been around long enough to learn some of the lessons Mount Royal is trying to enforce. You can expect someone to do something they way you want them to without showing them first, and they won't always get it right the first time either. I wouldn't punish them for it either as it can harbour animosity towards your instructor or the faculty contributing to an ineffective learning environment.
yes i agree and I want to also add that ok eventually a grad might end up in a pretty uniform flying pretty jets, but for the first few year of their career (for most of them) their not. They will be up north or on the ramp or instructing foreign students who can't understand english. and I would think most employers who hire low-timers would NOT hire people who are all up there own ass with a tie and gold stripes with 250 TT.

The spirit of human life comes from new experiences.
jljhlhl
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by jljhlhl »

I understand all jobs will have their downsides, including schooling to get to where you want to be in the career, but it's just kind of worrying that everything I've been reading on these aviation forums is that the industry is in the toilet, and then to find out the school in my city is also down the crapper, its just kind of upsetting to hear.

Not taking into account the value or money aspect of Mount Royal, would it still be one of the better places to get into the aviation trade, or would I be better off looking for an independent flight school with good reviews?

Lurch
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Lurch »

jljhlhl wrote:I understand all jobs will have their downsides, including schooling to get to where you want to be in the career, but it's just kind of worrying that everything I've been reading on these aviation forums is that the industry is in the toilet, and then to find out the school in my city is also down the crapper, its just kind of upsetting to hear.

Not taking into account the value or money aspect of Mount Royal, would it still be one of the better places to get into the aviation trade, or would I be better off looking for an independent flight school with good reviews?
Ignoring MRCs recent reputation, the Aviation Diploma's aren't worth the paper they are printed on. They are no value to anything outside of aviation, and completely unnecessary to get a job in aviation. You'll hear that AC and WJ prefer you have one but they won't turn you away because you don't have one.

Go to school and get a degree in something useful, ie engineering, and if some day you lose your medical you can fall back on your training in another field. Or when you can't find a job for the first few years because the economy is going through its next downturn you can support yourself while you wait it out.

Lurch

Take my love
Take my land
Take me where I cannot stand
I don't care
I'm still free
You cannot take the sky from me
LAX
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by LAX »

jljhlhl wrote:but it's just kind of worrying that everything I've been reading on these aviation forums is that the industry is in the toilet
If you're committed to aviation I'd say now's the time to get into it, while the industry is "in the toilet". Typically aviation goes through cycles of either doing really well or very poorly. Not a lot of middle ground. By the time you're done your training hopefully it falls on a boom, or close to it. When I started my training a major boom was starting. By the time I was done my training it was starting to recess. That's how it goes. No guarantees of course.

Return to “Flight Training”