Mount Royal College

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

Homebuilt Cub
Rank 0
Rank 0

Mount Royal College

Post by Homebuilt Cub »

Hi there. Past MRC grad...flying through the Calgary area this summer in my cub. Just wondering how Mount Royal is doing these days and if anyone knows who the current CFI is?

thanks,
H C
---------- ADS -----------

glenlivet
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Mount Royal College

Post by glenlivet »

there has been several changes over the last few years, not sure who the current cfi is. they have lost a couple of good people so far

philknight29
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by philknight29 »

Alex Burton is apparently there new CFI.

LAX
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by LAX »

It appears things are changing for the worse. To start, the college administration got rid of some of their best and most experienced people. For what I could not guess; I knew these people to do their jobs well.
Also, the college administration, whom has no aviation background supposedly decided it is necessary to change the program into a 4 year business/aviation degree program because of "demands of the industry". These are the same people who if you told them Kenn Borek was an airline would ask something like "Ohhhh, what kind of jets do they fly?".
Of course I could go on but I'm afraid I would start a rant I could not stop.
As a past grad of the program I'm a little disappointed; if MRC keeps walking this road it could destroy what I think is a great program.

k411
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by k411 »

LAX wrote:It appears things are changing for the worse. To start, the college administration got rid of some of their best and most experienced people. For what I could not guess; I knew these people to do their jobs well.
Also, the college administration, whom has no aviation background supposedly decided it is necessary to change the program into a 4 year business/aviation degree program because of "demands of the industry". These are the same people who if you told them Kenn Borek was an airline would ask something like "Ohhhh, what kind of jets do they fly?".
Of course I could go on but I'm afraid I would start a rant I could not stop.
As a past grad of the program I'm a little disappointed; if MRC keeps walking this road it could destroy what I think is a great program.

Where did you hear this? according to their website, its still a 2 year diploma program...

wxguy
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by wxguy »

It is currently still a 2 year program, but they are in the process of making it 4 years.

5x5
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by 5x5 »

It's also likely due to MRC looking to become a University. May well be one of the programs that has to be converted to a 4 year program.
MRC website wrote:What's in a name?

Posted: Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Bill 4, the Post-Secondary Learning Amendment Act, received royal assent on May 26 when Lieutenant Governor Norman Kwong signed it into law.

Mount Royal College is now able to apply to use "university" in our name, and Mount Royal Board of Governors Chair Cathy Williams has sent a letter making this request.

Minister of Advanced Education and Technology, Doug Horner, will now consider Mount Royal's application for a name change.

"This legislation is an important step for post-secondary education in Alberta," says Dave Marshall, president of Mount Royal.

"We are in close contact with the Minister's office for updates on this process."

Today, 80% of Mount Royal students are in a baccalaureate program, a university level course or in a university transfer program. When, and if, a name change happens, it will better reflect the undergraduate education Mount Royal currently offers.

"A new name would not change how Mount Royal operates. We will continue to offer high-quality, personalized learning in smaller classes," says Marshall. "It would recognize that Mount Royal offers degree programs in conjunction with our diploma, certificate, transfer and open studies programs."

There would also be no change in how Mount Royal is funded, or its position within the Baccalaureate and Applied Studies Institution sector of the Roles and Mandate Policy framework that is outlined in the Post-Secondary Learning Act.

Marshall says the amendments introduced by Minister Horner in Bill 4 are a clear demonstration of his commitment to helping Mount Royal achieve its aspirations.

"I want to acknowledge and thank the Minister for his tremendous efforts over the past three years to enable Mount Royal to continue to offer Albertans, Canadians and international students high-quality degree programs."

When Mount Royal first opened its doors nearly 100 years ago, it welcomed 189 students. Today, some 12,000 credit students take a variety of programs and courses including bachelor's degrees, applied degrees, university transfer courses, diplomas and certificates.

More details about Bill 4 can be found on the Government of Alberta's Advanced Education and Technology website.

Being stupid around airplanes is a capital offence and nature is a hanging judge!

“It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.”
Mark Twain
k411
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by k411 »

So if I am in for this coming fall, it will still be a 2 year program then? or will they shift to the program include everyone in the program when the transition starts?

wxguy
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by wxguy »

It is a 2 year program starting september this year. Usually with post sec, if they change your program mid diploma/degree you are only responsible for completing the requirements that were specified when you started. So if you start the 2 year program, you won't get stuck doing a 4 year program.

macbainz1
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by macbainz1 »

wxguy wrote:It is a 2 year program starting september this year. Usually with post sec, if they change your program mid diploma/degree you are only responsible for completing the requirements that were specified when you started. So if you start the 2 year program, you won't get stuck doing a 4 year program.
so when will the 1st 4 year program begin? or can you still opt to do the 2 year program?

The spirit of human life comes from new experiences.
FLYaJET
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by FLYaJET »

As a past grad i know they have been talking about a degree for years.

With all these new jobs on avcanada and a recent CFI change (i think they were posting on here a few months ago) being posted i figure it might be hard enough to keep the 2 year diploma running smoothly with any kind of continuity for the students. Maybe it is move to get more instructors for the degree program. i dont know. I just doubt anything as far as a degree will happen quick.

From talking to friends working for other flight schools i hear Mount Royal is in trying times with money/staff etc. Too bad to hear from what was once such a reputable program

skyordie151
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by skyordie151 »

Dude, What are you talking about?

I'm in the program at MRC and I've heard of NO talk about it becoming a four year degree program. You CAN take your two years in the aviation program, and continue for another two years in something else to graduate with a Bac. degree.

As for the CFI, he's a great guy. Alex Burton started with us this year, and has a background in curriculum planning as well as flight instructing. I also did really like our former CFI, Jason Rule, and to be honest, am not really sure what kind of politics lead to him leaving us.

Also, who said anything about MRC running into staff or money problems? They bumped up the cost this last year from the one previous....by about a hundred bucks, and it was because fuel prices skyrocketed. Also, the rates per hour rental went up, but that's happened everywhere. As for the staff issue...I can tell you that the school is excellent and fully staffed. Since I started there, not a single instructor has left.

Tube Driver
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Tube Driver »

Dude,

You have not been in the industry long enough to know what is good and what is not. The new CFI has a focus on curriculum instead of teaching you about the business, this is a real failing by the school. I understand that they passed over many experienced industry people in favor of people who are teachers first and pilots a distant second, or third. Their focus is on people who have post secondary teaching experience first and aviation experience as a sideline. At least this is what I am told of the classroom and simulator instructors. I can count on one hand the number of experienced aviation people who have experience teaching at a post secondary level and they are not at Mount Royal. The program will suffer, and as a result the product they turn out will suffer, making it more difficult to land a first job. One of the only options open would be to instruct at said school. Are you beginning to see the vicious circle effect here? It is like saying that you do not need to be a lawyer to teach law, or that you do not need any business background to run a business school or aviation experience to administer an aviation program. Is this picture becoming more clear? The administrators of the school need to rethink the direction that they are taking the program in. What is the point of a 4 year degree if at your first job the chief pilot laughs you out of the office because he/she knows that you came from a school that does not have a good reputation amongst the industry people. Seriously think about the return on investment you get from this program it is your money and your future, do your due diligence.

PW123
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by PW123 »

I am a graduate from Mount Royal from a few years ago. No longer around the college but i did hear from some recent graduates talking about the program.

In my mind, Mount Royal has had a good reputation in the industry for the last 35+ years. I know some may disagree but thats your opinion. I have met MRC grads throughout my world travels and have flown with graduates from 1970's to 2008ish. All around good pilots and more importantly good people despite what some people might say about attitude etc. You get good pilots from private/small flight school or college programs alike and you get the attitude/cocky pilots from both as well.

When i went through the program there were great courses in Aircraft systems and Meteorology taught by very experienced individuals. These courses are things you wouldnt get at the typical flying club or flight school. The flight instructors were also experienced with the program and industry. The academic classes were good but it seemed the program was focussed on the FLYING. That being said...when shit hits the fan in the Arctic on a cold stormy night...calculus etc aint gonna save your ass.

It is too bad to hear that the college is so focused on the academics these days and the flying is being put on the backburner. Possibly the result of the CFI they recently aquired???I was told he has VERY minimal industry experience and does not hold an IFR rating. To have a program so dedicated on preparing the student for an entry level job in the industry being led by someone who lacks any experience is shocking. I know they have lost many good people in the past few year...i hope with the job postings they do not loose everyone with experience in the industry and with the program.

Despite what i have heard...i will cross my fingers for another 35+ years of MRC aviation
keep the blue side up

skyordie151
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by skyordie151 »

If you have your doubts, that's fine. But here's my argument: Several of the instructors at MRC don't hold teaching degrees. MRC recognizes an ATPL as a masters degree, and that allows experienced pilots to be able to teach at the college. I know first hand that the teachers at the school are experienced, and one of our sim instructors is a current pilot with jazz. As for Mr. Alex Burton, check out this blog I found. http://www.pacificrimaviation.ca and click on "Aviation Insights." Read through a few of them, I find them interesting and informative WAY beyond the standard for the commercial students, which should be the goal of any flight school

Altstar
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Altstar »

I'm brand new to avcanada and I was surprised to see the "Mount Royal College" topic at the top of the list as I am a former grad. Interesting to read of the changes taking place but like a couple others I'm disappointed in the direction they're headed. I was also shocked to read that the CFI does not currently hold an IFR and has minimal industry experience (assuming the above is accurate).
skyordie151 wrote:As for Mr. Alex Burton, check out this blog I found. http://www.pacificrimaviation.ca and click on "Aviation Insights." Read through a few of them, I find them interesting and informative WAY beyond the standard for the commercial students, which should be the goal of any flight school
I had a chance to read a couple of the blogs posted by Mr. Burton. While it seems he has extensive single engine VFR experience, there was little to no mention of IFR or multi engine topics. Skyordie151, I would not go as far as to say that these blogs are "WAY beyond the standard for commercial students" and it seems to me, and I say this with respect, that Mr. Burton would be better suited for a local flying club and not an established professional pilot program. I don't like to rant but I also discovered postings for the Assistant CFI and "Senior" Instructor positions. I found it backwards that the qualifications required for both positions are greater than the boss'.

When I went to Mount Royal my goal was to be prepared for a career as a professional pilot and I was. Hopefully the students currently going through the program can say the same. From what I've read I hope that they hold on to the quality guys that they have.

maverick007
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by maverick007 »

Im a very recent grad from the Aviation Program at MRC and I hate to say it, but the program is going downhill, fast. Moral within the program is at an all-time low, the new CFI does not hold a current Multi-IFR and has very little IFR experience and progress with training is very slow. Also, it seems odd that the CFI is at the same level as the students in regards to IFR training, especially since half the program is dedicated towards IFR flying. And MRC is cutting some of their best instructors, they have lost (and by lost, I mean not because they want to leave...) numerous, well qualified and EXCELLENT instructors and the program will suffer from it. The old CFI was one of the best in the program, and has been replaced by someone very under qualified. The people running the program are focusing all their attention on this new degree idea, which is retarded in the first place, and not on the training, well-being of the students, or continuity of the program. I hope to see things pick up, but ill be suprised if the program is still around in a few years. I thought the program was excellent, but I cant say that anymore. They are ignoring the concerns of students and staff, when they should be paying very close attention to it, especially since the head of the program has absolutley NO experience with flying or in the aviation industry. What was once such a reputable program is quickly taking a turn for the worse.

wiff321
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by wiff321 »

Mount Royal HAD a reputation as one of the most prestigious aviation programs in North America. Unfortunatly, some of the exectutive decisions that have recently been made as put this program into a "microburst", if you will.

The hiring of a chair that has no background in aviation is most absurd. She may be a smart woman, but not the right one for this job. The hiring of the current CFI, who does not hold an IFR is ludicrous. How are the students supposed to learn if their "leader" isn't qualified?

I am really disappointed with the execution of the current situation.

The postings for the new instructor positions are confusing as they already have a GREAT instructing team. If only I had a flow chart to help me understand.............

W

GE90
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by GE90 »

Mount Royal has a good reputation in the industry. I am not happy to see the recent comments about the program. Im afraid i have also heard from numerous people that the program is in a "microburst" as wiff321 would put it.

Recently talked to a past instructor who worked there part time. He said he quit recently due to the program falling apart. he confirmed the people in charge had little experience with aviation and the CFI has little to no experience with IFR etc.
Also heard that most of the current instructors are not invited back this fall. Sounds like they are cleaning house. I know a couple instructors to be very experienced with the program and industry. too bad.

I am familiar with the program and i know that with all new instructors and management...its sure going to be hard on the students hoping for any kind of consistency.

Anyone thinking about Mount Royal. its sounding like you should do your homework.

Too bad to hear all this recent news.

FLYaJET
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by FLYaJET »

Hello Homebuildt Cub,

Did you manage to stop by Mount Royal College this summer? If so, how was everything?

I managed to stop in a few weeks ago. Seems they have done renovations to the hangar finally, which is a big improvement from the years i went there. It wasnt a great day for weather, but no one was flying and i would have thought it was ideal conditions for some IFR training. I also flew with a Mount Royal grad a couple of weeks ago and he was quick to fill me in on recent events. Sounds like the word is getting out that the program is being led by unknowlegeable and underqualified individuals (Chair and CFI). I heard the CFI does not even have and IFR rating!!!!!!!! Maybe thats why the planes were on the ground that day when it was 1500-2000 overcast.

Too bad to hear from another person that MRC is no longer the leader they use to be in the aviation college field.

Return to “Flight Training”