what is your funniest training story with a student

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

PA31 Driver
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by PA31 Driver »

I'm enjoying reading all our stories
---------- ADS -----------

ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by ahramin »

What the hell is an engine instruments switch?

looproll
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by looproll »

it's the switch in your brain. You know, the one that if left OFF, as with Brad, makes you ask "disbatch" what happened... :lol:

FUBAR
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by FUBAR »

Funny things that have happened to me in the airplane with a student.

Wow...from puking, getting lost over the airport, grown men screaming like little girls, students taking off with cowling covers on....to even an engine failure on take off at night.

One of the most memorable ones was a guy puke half way through a x-country...he didn't go for the bag. He thought the open window was a good alternative...wrong.

I also had a student start crying just BEFORE a SIMULATED flight test because of nerves.

Oh yes, many days were...FUBAR

Pugster
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Pugster »

TJ;

Keep em' coming...you're just reinforcing the sado-masochistic desire I've got to become a training captain one day.

You've really got to put these down on paper...too funny.

Pugster

ZLIN 142C
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by ZLIN 142C »

TJ: Your stories are priceless, and your artful use of the English language just makes them that much better. I haven't laughed that hard in a very long time.

Well, since I'm not an instructor, I can't make fun of any of my students, but I can make fun of myself. I was on the first leg of a dual night cross-country with NORDO (haven't seen him post here in a long time) and we were to do a touch-and-go at Vulcan. CFX6, like most small uncontrolled airports in southern Alberta, has type K ARCAL. I was familiar with the system, and as we approached I keyed the mike button the requisite number of times, although the runway lights were already on. Evidently some other aircraft had just left. We were contending with a gusty crosswind that night, but I managed to get the Warrior nicely set up on final for 16, and reset the runway lights on final as I was taught.

We were just settling into ground effect when the runway vanished. I was rather shocked, as was my instructor, judging by his cursing as he hammered away at the PTT button, to no effect. Luckily we had a good landing light, and I was able to set the aircraft down without incident. We elected to make this a full stop, and as I searched for the taxiway, NORDO found the source of our problem. While I had dutifully tuned in 122.8 on the alternate channel of the radio, I had neglected to switch to it. So, some guy in Edmonton and anybody else in the air that night got to hear the entire show on 126.7. I hope they enjoyed it.

The rest of the flight was uneventful, except for one thing. As we approached Fort Macleod for our second stop, we heard, sure enough, some poor gal from Springbank do exactly the same thing - at Vulcan again, no less.

Understanding begets harmony; in seeking the first you will find the last.
Major Bedhead
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Major Bedhead »

More stories from the right seat ...

Had a really nervous student who was at the point where we were starting to look at unusual attitude recovery. He was very very nervous, so as a good instructor I told him to kick back on the weekend and watch some great films.

I recommended The Right Stuff, Waldo Pepper, Blue Max, Tora Tora Tora, Midway etc ...

He comes back on Monday and is in a totally different frame of mind.

So out we go to spin the Katana ...

On his turn I say rituallistically (sp) You have control and he acknowledges ...

Power back ... pitch up ... all is great ... then I start hearing "Wrooonggghhhhhhhhhh" on the headsets through the whole manoever.

He's making the sound effects as he does the exercise. But it's going ok, so I decide just to let it slide.

Not bad say I ... but this time lets try it without the Baa Baa Blacksheep sound effects.

2nd try yielded more an acclerated stall which resulted in .. "Wroooonghhhhhh ghhhhhh ghhhhh wooomph ... owshit owshit owshit" over the intercom.

We recover, and climb back to altitude ... I ask if its ok that he does this one without the colour commentary and give him control.

For those who don't know the older Katana (DA20) it was a blast to fly and fingertip responsive, but woefully underpowered and prone to acclerate in a spin.

So 3rd he pulls back and then rudders over and REALLY pulls into the spin ...

"WROOONGGGGGGHHHHH ...... OH F*CKING H*LL .... JESUS FU*KING CHRIST YOU HAVE CONTROL YOU HAVE CONTROL YOU HAVE CONTROL !!!"

We recover and I wisely decide to request the return to the airport.

Terminal Pipes up immediately ...

C-FXXX say type of aircraft ....

Puzzled I radio back we're the mighty DA20 ...

There is a pause and he says back ...

"Oh .... sorry for the confusion ... you were transmitting WROOONGHHH and we thought the DA20 went WRUONNGHHHH"

The text doesn't do his impression justice.

Chagrined I asked him how much of the lesson the student had let him hear in his death grip of the Push To Talk button ...

He laughed and said that not only had he learned some new "naughty" words but that he'd never step foot in a Katana.

I was about to declare an emergency for the fire that seemed to be located in my ears when a smooth older voice from Blue Ridge XXXX told me "You should have thrown him outside son the first time he messed it up"

Good times good times ....

Return to “Flight Training”