How's Cooking Lake these days?

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

Kilo Charlie
Rank 0
Rank 0

How's Cooking Lake these days?

Post by Kilo Charlie »

I checked the stickies and search function, but most info on Cooking Lake Academy is at least a couple years old. Does anyone know what the place is like now? I'm looking at places to train for CPL,and possibly Multi/IFR. My current fave is Harv's Air in Steinbach, Manitoba, but I'm open to changing locations; the Edmonton area works well for me for personal reasons, plus Cooking Lake is putting in student dorms that could really save me some rubles.
---------- ADS -----------

rule911
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: How's Cooking Lake these days?

Post by rule911 »

About as different as you can imagine, and for the much better! I would call Cooking Lake the 'Sleeping Giant' of Alberta flight training. New owners, new airplanes, new ideas, etc. Its worth a drive out, IMHO.

Kilo Charlie
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Kilo Charlie »

rule911 wrote:About as different as you can imagine, and for the much better! I would call Cooking Lake the 'Sleeping Giant' of Alberta flight training. New owners, new airplanes, new ideas, etc. Its worth a drive out, IMHO.
Sounds good. Mind you, I currently live in the Ottawa Valley. A "drive out" is about 4000 km. Still, it's at least worth a bit closer look.

LousyFisherman
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by LousyFisherman »

rule911, are they offering float training again?

TIA

LF

Women and planes have alot in common
Both are expensive, loud, and noisy.
However, when handled properly both respond well and provide great pleasure
cgartly
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by cgartly »

As far as I know they are not offering float training. They are also getting rid of two of their 172's which will not be great for aircraft availability. FAGE and GCIA are going to be gone soon if not already.

culver10
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by culver10 »

The problem with the float training is that Cooking Lake has almost completely dried up now. :(

prairieflyer
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by prairieflyer »

culver10 wrote:The problem with the float training is that Cooking Lake has almost completely dried up now. :(
Apparently that drought is still going strong I guess? I would assume that Beaver lake? out east of camrose is much the same then.

I can't say anything bad about Harv's Air. Though it sometimes seems kind of weird around there (coming from a person who has done 150+ hours there in the last year). St. Andrews is probably the better base of the two (the former Winnipeg Flying Club op that they bought a few years back) with nicer aircraft in general (7ish 152s, 4 172s, G1000 DA40, Seneca II). They tend to be more reliable when the weather starts to turn (snowing - Steinbach is cleared by staff in the tractor and can take a while whereas St. Andrews tends to be quicker off the hop) as well. I would prefer the BE95 at KK7 for the M-IFR though. Much better performer than the Seneca at YAV.

Return to “Flight Training”