Admission to flight Test

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

ywgflyboy
Rank 6
Rank 6

Admission to flight Test

Post by ywgflyboy »

Morning all,

For the CPL flight test it is my understanding that your CPAER exam must be completed (which it is), and it was also my understanding you must provide proof of this to the flight test examiner prior to your flight test (that confirmation of pass TC gives you at the exam center). My problem being is this paper has made its way into my recycling and I am now without it. :x

I read the flight test guide and under admission to flight test it does not mention providing proof of written exam, just makes ref to a letter of recommend from instructor and 140hrs etc.

Have I been misinformed about not actually having to provide this letter or should I be making a trip down to TC to get a reprint before my exam on Friday.
---------- ADS -----------

AUGER9
Rank 6
Rank 6

Re: Admission to flight Test

Post by AUGER9 »

From the CARs:

421.14 Flight Test Prerequisites
Part 3b
in the case of an applicant for a Commercial Pilot Licence, who is not enrolled in an approved integrated course, proof of having successfully completed the required written examination, and a letter from a flight instructor certifying that the applicant has satisfactory knowledge of the subject area or areas in which a deficiency was indicated by the feedback letter issued by the Flight Training and Aviation Examination (FTAE) computer system and meets the competency standard for issuance of the Commercial Pilot Licence;
I would take that to mean you do. I would contact your examiner and see what he says. Also see if transport can just fax the results to you or your school if it's too out of the way.

Tango01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Tango01 »

General - Admission to the Flight Test
For admission to a flight test required for the issuance of a Commercial Pilot Licence - Aeroplane, or a complete re-test, and to meet the requirements of CAR Standard 421.14, the candidate will present:

a. photo identification;

b. a valid permit, licence or foreign pilot licence issued by a contracting state;

c. proof of meeting the medical standards for the Commercial Pilot Licence,

d. a letter from a qualified flight instructor certifying that:

1. the instructor has personally completed a pre-flight test evaluation with the candidate;
2. the candidate is considered to have reached a sufficient level of competency to complete the flight test for the issuance of the Commercial Pilot Licence,
3. the instructor recommends the candidate for the flight test.

E. evidence of having completed:

1. no less than 150 hours flight time, or
2. in the case of a candidate enrolled in a CPL(A) or CPL(A)/IR integrated program, no less than 140 hours flight time.

Note: It is recommended that the candidate have successfully completed the required written examination and have satisfactory knowledge of the subject area(s) in which a weakness was indicated by the Written Examination Results and Feedback Report.

Timing is everything.
TC Aviator
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by TC Aviator »

Hey Fellas,

AUGER9 has it right.

CAR 421.14 was finally amended 2006/12/14 (after an 8 year process) to require that a CPL candidate that is not enrolled in an approved integrated course present a letter of recommendation certifying that the required examination has been successfully completed and the weak subject areas identified were reviewed.

The following should be added to the letter of recommendation template:
I, the undersigned instructor, certify that the candidate has successfully completed the written examination for the Commercial Pilot Licence and that I have reviewed the subject area(s) in which the Written Examination and Feedback Report indicated a deficiency with the candidate, as required by CAR 421.14(3)(b). I further certify that the candidate now meets the knowledge standards of the Commercial Pilot Licence for the subject area(s) in which a deficiency was noted.
Date Examination Successfully Completed:
Name of Instructor Conducting Examination Review Class Licence Number(Print)
Signature Date[]

Tango01 is quoting from the current April 2005 flight test guide that will be superseded with a third edition in early 2010. The new edition will indicate the requirement.

It is recommended that arictaylor contact TC either in writing or in person (with ID) and request a new copy of the exam results.

Cheers.

Big Pistons Forever
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Big Pistons Forever »

TC guy

Thanks for the info re the new edition of the flight test guide

Can you comment on where the proposal to revise Instructor classes (ie eliminating the class 4 rating) is at ? Also is there any moves to require training in the use of GPS, particularly for the CPL ?

TC Aviator
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by TC Aviator »

Good questions.

The package of regulatory amendments that were approved in 2003 are in process with Justice Canada, although it is not on the top priority list because of a lack of legal resources. We may have to wait 2-3 more years before Gazette II and effectivity.

The amendments will eliminate the Class 4 Instructor Rating and initial Flight Instructors will receive a Class 3 Rating with an internship restriction that will be signed off in stages by a Chief Flight Instructor as the instructor gains experience. (similar to many years ago, but with more stringent standards)

In regard to GPS instruction, we have not discussed requiring it for new pilots. During the CPL flight test, a candidate may use GPS for the radio navigation work, so good instruction would be required to enable an acceptable performance. (The new flight test guide will require radio nav to be done "under the hood" to simulate dark night navigation away from built-up areas.

During the IFR ride, a candidate may execute an RNAV(GNSS) approach procedure. Automation may be used, but one approach will be manually flown for an initial IFR. A relatively high level of training and familiarity with the installed equipment would be essential.

Cheers.

ywgflyboy
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by ywgflyboy »

Thanks everyone. I woke up this morning to go practice for my flight test and take in the letter with my marks and it was gone!! Freaked out a bit. Turns out (a) it is very easy to get a second copy, although I question HOW easy it is. I could have called and said my name was Joe Blow and gotten his history of marks (b)weather AGAIN takes a turn for the worse and flight test will prob be cancelled yet again. I'm at the point of almost hopping on a plane and flying out to BC for a day to get it done!!! haha

finmath
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by finmath »

Apologies for the late reply to the post. I joined AvCanada today. I am due for the CPL flight test, and I passed my CPAER wrtten exam back in Feb 02 2018. Now it is April 28 2020. My flight examiner has told my flight instructor that I cannot be admitted to the flight test because two years has passed since the PPAER date. I read the CARS and the section 421.14 does not state anything about the exam validity for flight test admission. I believe that for the license to be issued, I may need to pass the commercial written again, but what I would like to avoid is that I need to study and take the written exam first, and miss the opportunity of taking the flight test. My medical certificate expires Aug 1. I was wondering if anyone with experience can clarify what the requirements are. Thank you in advance for all of your assistance.

Steve Kinoshita

7ECA
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by 7ECA »

400.03 (1) Subject to subsection (3), written examinations, including all sections of a sectionalized examination, that are required for the issuance of a permit or licence or for the endorsement of a permit or licence with a rating shall be completed during the 24-month period preceding the date of the application for the permit, licence or rating.
https://lois-laws.justice.gc.ca/eng/reg ... l#s-400.03

Also, 421.14 (3) b:
(b) in the case of an applicant for a Commercial Pilot Licence, who is not enrolled in an approved integrated course, proof of having successfully completed the required written examination, and a letter from a flight instructor certifying that the applicant has satisfactory knowledge of the subject area or areas in which a deficiency was indicated by the feedback letter issued by the Flight Training and Aviation Examination (FTAE) computer system and meets the competency standard for issuance of the Commercial Pilot Licence;
From the flight test guide:
proof of having successfully completed the required written examination and a letter from a qualified instructor certifying that a review of subject area(s) identified as having deficiencies by the Written Examination and Feedback Report has been carried out and the candidate meets the knowledge standards for the Commercial Pilot Licence.

So, if the exam results are valid only for a period of 24 months, and you need proof of successful completion of the exam to sit the flight test - you need VALID proof under 400.03. Obviously you're not submitting the paperwork for the rating, but for the purposes of the flight test, you have to meet the various qualifications/criteria for submitting the paperwork for the licence/rating . No valid exam results - no flight test.

PilotDAR
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by PilotDAR »

A word about the medical. I has a CAT 3, knowing I needed a CAT 1 for admission to the exam (everything else was in place correctly). I literally had the CAT 1 medical examination, and my booklet stamped at Buttonville, then taxied across to write the CPL exam. I was refused admission, saying that I did not have a valid CAT 1. I asserted that I did, the ink was literally still wet in my booklet. I was informed that I had the stamp from the examination, and that was not the medical. The Doctor did the exam, TC issued the medical,and that had not happened yet. I begrudgingly accepted that splitting hairs point, looking at an empty exam room, and my exam file sitting on the counter. Who would it have hurt if they'd let me write.....

Jedney
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Jedney »

TC Aviator wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2009 10:55 am Good questions.

The package of regulatory amendments that were approved in 2003 are in process with Justice Canada, although it is not on the top priority list because of a lack of legal resources. We may have to wait 2-3 more years before Gazette II and effectivity.

The amendments will eliminate the Class 4 Instructor Rating and initial Flight Instructors will receive a Class 3 Rating with an internship restriction that will be signed off in stages by a Chief Flight Instructor as the instructor gains experience. (similar to many years ago, but with more stringent standards)

In regard to GPS instruction, we have not discussed requiring it for new pilots. During the CPL flight test, a candidate may use GPS for the radio navigation work, so good instruction would be required to enable an acceptable performance. (The new flight test guide will require radio nav to be done "under the hood" to simulate dark night navigation away from built-up areas.

During the IFR ride, a candidate may execute an RNAV(GNSS) approach procedure. Automation may be used, but one approach will be manually flown for an initial IFR. A relatively high level of training and familiarity with the installed equipment would be essential.

Cheers.
Mr. TC, I was hoping you could help with an answer to this situation. I have been training for my CPL using a private aircraft that does not have any Radio navigation equipment, I’ve been using ForeFlight on an IPad. In preparation for the flight test, the flight test guide says:

“The examiner will specify which radio aid to be used for this item. If the aeroplane is equipped with a certified and approved GNSS receiver, that unit will be used. If a GNSS receiver is used, the candidate will select “Terminal Mode” (1 NM sensitivity), if it is not already in that mode.“

I am willing to purchase a certified GPS, but cannot find what constitutes a “certified GPS”.

Do portable GPS units count (such as Garmin Aera 660)? And if so, why not ForeFlight?

Thanks!

JAHinYYC
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by JAHinYYC »

Jedney wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 8:50 am Mr. TC, I was hoping you could help with an answer to this situation. I have been training for my CPL using a private aircraft that does not have any Radio navigation equipment, I’ve been using ForeFlight on an IPad. In preparation for the flight test, the flight test guide says:

“The examiner will specify which radio aid to be used for this item. If the aeroplane is equipped with a certified and approved GNSS receiver, that unit will be used. If a GNSS receiver is used, the candidate will select “Terminal Mode” (1 NM sensitivity), if it is not already in that mode.“

I am willing to purchase a certified GPS, but cannot find what constitutes a “certified GPS”.

Do portable GPS units count (such as Garmin Aera 660)? And if so, why not ForeFlight?

Thanks!
Certification refers to certification as per the "Technical Service Order". The most recent one setting out standards for GNSS standards are set out in TSO145.

To be a "certified" GPS the unit itself needs to be certified and it needs to be installed in the aircraft in accordance with the supplemental type certificate (STC) which permits the installation of that piece of electronic equipment in to that model of aircraft by a certified AME.

The most common general aviation example of a certified GPS is the Garmin 430W or its touch screen update the Garmin 650. (I know that there are other older examples and other manufacturers such as King and Avadyne but I am not able to list them all.)

Once installed as per the STC the aircraft is legally permitted to fly IFR routings using GNSS navigation in IFR conditions (assuming the aircraft type is IFR certified and pitot static system meets the 24 month test requirement...etc) as well as to conduct approached to IFR minima set out in the Canada Air Pilot.

In my experience portable or handheld equipment is not certified to the TSO145 standard and cannot be certified in a specific aircraft because they are not permanently installed. This is part of the reason why you can buy a portable GPS for $100s and $1000s of dollars whereas a certified one is US$5000 plus $5000 to install it in the airplane.

When you say "no radio navigation equipment" - does this mean that there is no VOR unit as part of the NAV-Com radio? If equipped with a VOR head you should be to meet the flight test requirement by intercepting and tracking a VOR radial.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

Jedney wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 8:50 am Mr. TC, I was hoping you could help with an answer to this situation. I have been training for my CPL using a private aircraft that does not have any Radio navigation equipment
You cannot do the radio navigation portion of the CPL training in such an aircraft. You will have to repeat the training in a correctly-equipped airplane. And you will need to provide a correctly-equipped airplane for the flight test.

Per CAR standard 425.23:
(4) An aeroplane or helicopter that is used for radio navigation training toward the Commercial Pilot Licence, Flight Instructor Rating or VFR Over-The-Top rating, shall be equipped with an ADF, VOR or GPS radio navigation aid receiver.
And page 2 of TP13462E (Flight test guide Commercial Pilot Licence, Aeroplane):
Aeroplane and Equipment Requirements:

The candidate will provide:

(a)an aeroplane for the flight test that:...

(ii)meets the equipment requirements of CAR Standard 425.23 Training Aircraft Requirements -subsections (1), (2), (3) and (4) of the Personnel Licensing and Training Standards.
Your instructor should know this. As mentioned, no handheld unit will do.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
BeetleClock27
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by BeetleClock27 »

Until December 2020 you no longer require a TC written due to covid and testing not being available
Link to TC website regarding excemption https://www2.tc.gc.ca/CivilAviation/reg ... n/3317.htm

what it says:

Exemption from paragraph 401.14(e) of the Canadian Aviation Regulations and paragraph 421.14(3)(b) of Standard 421 – Flight Crew Permits, Licences and Ratings
NCR-067-2020[/b][/b][/b]

Pursuant to subsection 5.9(2) of the Aeronautics Act, and after having taken into account that this exemption is in the public interest and is not likely to adversely affect aviation safety or security, I hereby exempt all candidates attempting a flight test for the issuance of a Commercial Pilot Licence from the requirements of paragraph 401.14(e) of the Canadian Aviation Regulations (CARs) and paragraph 421.14(3)(b) of Standard 421 – Flight Crew permits, Licences and Ratings, subject to the conditions set out below.

Paragraph 401.14(e) of the CARs states that, prior to taking a flight test, an applicant for a flight crew permit, licence or rating shall meet the prerequisites for the test set out in the personnel licensing standards with respect to, for applicants for a commercial pilot licence — aeroplane or helicopter, knowledge.

Paragraph 421.14(3)(b) of Standard 421 states that, except as stated in paragraphs (c) and (d), for admission to a flight test required for the issue of a permit, licence or rating, the candidate shall produce a recommendation dated within 30 days prior to the date of the flight test, according to certain conditions, specifically in the case of an applicant for a Commercial Pilot Licence, who is not enrolled in an approved integrated course, proof of having successfully completed the required written examination, and a letter from a flight instructor certifying that the applicant has satisfactory knowledge of the subject area or areas in which a deficiency was indicated by the feedback letter issued by the Flight Training and Aviation Examination (FTAE) computer system and meets the competency standard for issuance of the Commercial Pilot Licence;

Section 401.14 of the CARs and section 421.14 of Standard 421 are reproduced in full in Appendix A.

Purpose
The purpose of this exemption is to adopt temporary measures in the public interest to reduce the potential of person to person transmission in Canada following the declaration of a pandemic outbreak of novel coronavirus (COVID-19) by the World Health Organization (WHO) on March 11, 2020.

More specifically, the purpose of this exemption is to allow the following commercial pilot licence candidates to be accepted for their flight test for the issuance of Commercial Pilot Licences – Aeroplane or Helicopter until December 31, 2020 as a temporary measure:

1) Candidates who are unable to write the Transport Canada licensing examinations prior to attempting their flight test; or
2) Candidates whose 24-month written exam validity will expire without having completed all of the training and checking required for application for a commercial pilot licence.
Application
This exemption applies to the following commercial pilot licence candidates:

1) Candidates who are unable to write the Transport Canada licensing examinations prior to attempting their flight test; or
2) Candidates whose 24-month written exam validity will expire without having completed all of the training and checking required for application for a commercial pilot licence.
This exemption ceases to apply to any candidate that does not respect a condition of this exemption.

Conditions
This exemption is subject to the following conditions:

Candidates having completed a minimum of 75% of the total flying experience required for a commercial pilot licence shall produce a letter of recommendation for a flight test from the holder of a flight instructor rating certifying that:
(a) a pre-test evaluation (mock flight test) was conducted on the candidate;
(b) the candidate is considered to have reached a sufficient level of competency to undertake a flight test for the issuance of the Commercial Pilot Licence; and
(c) the candidate is recommended for the flight test.
Persons exercising the privileges of a permit, licence or rating subject to the terms and conditions of this exemption shall comply with the CARs in all respects other than with paragraph 401.14(e) of the CARs and paragraph 421.14(3)(b) of Standard 421, Flight Crew Permits, Licences and Ratings as specified in this exemption.
Validity
This exemption is in effect until the earliest of the following:

(a) December 31, 2020 at 23:59 (EST); or
(b) The date on which the exemption is cancelled in writing by the Minister where he is of the opinion that it is no longer in the public interest or is likely to adversely affect aviation safety or security.
Dated at Ottawa, Ontario, this 16th day of June, 2020, on behalf of the Minister of Transport.

“Original signed by”

Nicholas Robinson
Director General, Civil Aviation
Transport Canada

Return to “Flight Training”