Ground School & Flight Training - Sea Land Air

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

RCB175
Rank 0
Rank 0

Ground School & Flight Training - Sea Land Air

Post by RCB175 »

I am a contemplating PPL training (for recreation) at CZBB, (awaiting class 3 medical); While I like the Idea of training in Sea land Air's DA20, their Saturday Gnd School just doesn't work for me. Is it at all reasonable to attend Ground School at one location, (CFC for example), and attend Flt Training at Sea land Air ? My initial assumption is no, it's probably best to conduct all training through one agency - comments appreciated.

Ron
---------- ADS -----------

Last edited by RCB175 on Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:50 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Plane Collector
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Ground School & Flight Training

Post by Plane Collector »

CFC would be happy to have you there for ground school!

Tango01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Tango01 »

You could take ground school at any FTU or even online. Just make sure you record the times in your PTR. When comes time to write your exam (you can do it when you have 10 hours if you are ready) you will need a Letter of Recommendation. Make sure you can get one of those.

Timing is everything.
Big Pistons Forever
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Big Pistons Forever »

You are the customer. I would suggest that (within reason) it is up to the FTU to conform with your scedule not the other way around. I would talk to the school where you want to fly and ask them to give you some options with respect to your ground school.

gaamin
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: Ground School & Flight Training - Sea Land Air

Post by gaamin »

Welcome to these forums Ron, and enjoy your time towards your PPL.

Discuss the matter with your flight school. As said above, you are a customer, there should not be a problem.
Take a ground school that will suit your needs. Quality of the instruction, timeframe, time of the week/day, location, learning atmosphere... choose accordingly, worst case scenario you can leave and attend another one if dissatisfied.
Keep track of your training in your PTR. At the end of the ground school cycle, you may be provided a single-sheet format record of your ground school, and staple it in your PTR.
Ground schools are available from different flight schools in North Vancouver, at CZBB, at CYNJ, at CYPK, at CYXX, CYCW, and even Squamish. Between them, there is certainly one that suits you.

JBL
Shiny Side Up
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Shiny Side Up »

You are the customer. I would suggest that (within reason) it is up to the FTU to conform with your scedule not the other way around.
The "within reason" should be qualified. Be prepared that if you expect to get good results from your flight training that you will have to move around your schedule to prioritize it. Otherwise be prepared to spend more money or time or both.

We can't stop here! This is BAT country!
MichaelP
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by MichaelP »

We have a supervised self study program and this is continually being developed.
There have been a couple of students go this route so far. It involves the student completing assignments and having a briefing with an instructor from time to time to ensure that progress/knowledge achieved meets Transport Canada's requirements.
Even when a student opts for the Online Groundschool route the one on one contact with an instructor is important to ensure a full understanding of the subject.

KnownIce
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by KnownIce »

Somewhat off-topic of groundschool, but if you are looking to fly for fun why not consider flying the Evektor SportStar that Sea Land Air has? You can fly it 5 hours for every 4 hours you'd pay for a DA-20 and booking would probably be easier. I flew it a month ago with MichaelP and had a great time. If I lived in BC that would be the plane I'd be flying.

SkyWolfe
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by SkyWolfe »

Sea Land Air is a good school, I know they would be okay with taking GS in another form. PM me if you have any questions.

Have you gone in and met everyone?

Cheers,

Wolfie

RCB175
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by RCB175 »

Thank you everyone for your suggestions and comments; I guess in the end, as Shiny Side Up suggested, It is important not to overly compromise my training, due to schedule conflicts etc. I have considered the pursuit of an RPL vs. the PPL, as I am also considering the construction of a Glasair-Sportsman - looking forward to some form of retirement at some point in the future, access to US Airspace (if it's still available) might be a good idea.

Return to “Flight Training”