Need help with the PGIs

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

nightbird
Rank 4
Rank 4

Need help with the PGIs

Post by nightbird »

Hi guys I just started the instructor ground school but I'm having a hard time developing the power point presentations. Apart from being working more than 60 h a week I just don't now what to put exactly on them, is there anyone out the who can lend me theirs just to have a start point, I really need them. Thanks guys and have a great day.
---------- ADS -----------

pilotman15
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Need help with the PGIs

Post by pilotman15 »

I would highly recommend not doing them as powerpoints and developing your original PGI's on paper and using the old overhead projector for the points that you don't want to write out. You would be very lucky if you worked at a school that had powerpoint capability in every PGI/briefing room. As far as creating that PGI's....talk with your class 1 about assisting you as that is what you are paying them the big bucks to do...

Big Pistons Forever
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Big Pistons Forever »

pilotman15 wrote:I would highly recommend not doing them as powerpoints and developing your original PGI's on paper and using the old overhead projector for the points that you don't want to write out. You would be very lucky if you worked at a school that had powerpoint capability in every PGI/briefing room. As far as creating that PGI's....talk with your class 1 about assisting you as that is what you are paying them the big bucks to do...
+1

Power Point can have value for ground school presentations, but IMO has at best only a peripheral place in the PGI. Good PGI's should be interactive with you leading the student from known information to new concepts/procedures etc. A white board is still the best medium for presenting PGI's IMO. However while I am a total ludite I will acknowledge the utility of new information technologies. If you have your own laptop, one usefull adjunct to PGI's can be a library of short youtube clips. For instance, a clip of the stall entry and recovery can demsitify the manoever and show a nervous student it is not a scary manoever, and the clip which shows a Pa 28 tuffed wing stalling is also a great visual.

mcrit
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by mcrit »

pilotman15 wrote:I would highly recommend not doing them as powerpoints and developing your original PGI's on paper and using the old overhead projector for the points that you don't want to write out. You would be very lucky if you worked at a school that had powerpoint capability in every PGI/briefing room.
+2

I've always found that for developmental teaching you can't beat the old chalk and talk.

As far as coming up with your own breifing notes, I don't see any point in reinventing the wheel, at least not from scratch. PM me and I'll send you PGI notes that you can use as a template.

Rank 0

Post by redstar »

Creating your PGIs does get easier after you do a few. The first few lessons you might feel kind of awkward and think you don't know what you are talking about, but the Class 1 will help you through it. A good Class 1 won't make you feel dumb, they will show you the weak areas as well as the strong ones and help you to create a good PGI. They have seen people do this a million times and know what works and what doesn't. I highly recommend doing it on paper as well.

A few PowerPoint presentations to visualize something or as a supplement that they can take home isn't bad, but I find that most students retain the information best when they are not looking at a screen. I personally get my students to write things down in point form notes and participate in the lesson by helping to draw something on the board (they show me 4 forces of flight, the various types of drag...). Get them involved and they will remember it better.

When I started developing my PGIs, I looked at another instructor's notes and it was actually not very helpful. That person's way of approaching the lesson and organization of information didn't make sense to me and I did better when I just did it myself. Use the Flight Instructor Guide and Flight Training Manual for basic structure and information, and look at your own notes from when you started. If after a few lessons you are still having trouble, your Class 1 can give you some more guidance.

Good luck!

200hr Wonder
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by 200hr Wonder »

pilotman15 wrote:I would highly recommend not doing them as powerpoints and developing your original PGI's on paper and using the old overhead projector for the points that you don't want to write out. You would be very lucky if you worked at a school that had powerpoint capability in every PGI/briefing room. As far as creating that PGI's....talk with your class 1 about assisting you as that is what you are paying them the big bucks to do...
+3

I think you really can not go wrong with a good quality of whiteboard markers. Practice laying out your board, so it is neat and organized. Write neatly and don't rush.

As far as your PGIs make sure that you include all pertinent information above and beyond what you expect to include in your PGI so that you can expand if the student wants to or needs backup or deeper explanations. As a general rule you should spend 5hrs of prep time for every 1 hour of PGI.

Oh and relax and have fun. Don't get too discourage if your first few PGIs are seemingly ripped to shreds it does get easier.

Cheers,

200hr Wonder
trey kule
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by trey kule »

Here is a tip. Speak and write in good old plain English. I have been flying for over 40 years and darned if I know what a PGI is. Read all the posts and as near as I can figure it is some kind of secret Instructor-speak. Aviation has always had its acronomyms, but it seems lately that too many instructors speak mainly in acronymish.
They dont speak about the best rate or angle of climb and try and instill an understanding of it in their student, but instead speak of Vx and Yy and, my very favorite Vysse or something like that. Please, make your presentations clear when you do them.

So, what exactly does PGI mean?

Accident speculation:
Those that post don’t know. Those that know don’t post
Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

trey kule it is like the secret handshake you have to have a Canadian flight instructors rating before you can be given that information. :mrgreen:

You also need the secret decoder ring. :smt040

The hardest thing about flying is knowing when to say no

After over a half a century of flying no one ever died because of my decision not to fly.
Invertago
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Invertago »

Cat Driver wrote:trey kule it is like the secret handshake you have to have a Canadian flight instructors rating before you can be given that information. :mrgreen:

You also need the secret decoder ring. :smt040
All of which you would have you took the time to look in the bottom of your cereal box.

No trees were harmed in the transmission of this message. However, a rather large number of electrons were temporarily inconvenienced.
loopa
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by loopa »

You're going to keep revising those PGI's until you eventually find your niche and don't really refer to them anymore.

Remember, when you teach, it shouldn't be "rote" teaching. Very much like "rote" learning, rote teaching is memorizing what to say in the flow of what you might need to do in the beginning and throughout a PGI. It might be helpful to get you started, but shouldn't be your "method" of teaching. Cause chances are you're going to memorize what to teach from reading it in a book somewhere. Well then why should the student pay you 48/hr to show him something he can read by himself.

I find that the best method of instruction is where you simply tell the guy, ok, here is what it is, here is what it does, here is how we do it, ok kaboom, you try. Good Job buddy, I really like your elevator control, now let's try working on your coordination. Then again, you repeat the perfect demo, let him practice, quiz him, evaluate him, add a bit of new information that can serve as an insight to his learning, re quiz, evaluate, repeat the process and kaboom, he has his license.

Of course, I just made it seem like an easy step. I'm just telling you what I had trouble with in my instructor rating. I was always under the impression that you had to "memorize" these key phrases or "memorize" what to say, until this other Class 1 instructor clarified exactly what I was missing out on. Teach through "I DO" "YOU DO" This will eliminate any kind of confusion you may have about anything, be it PGI, Air Exercises, etc.

Often times you hear "don't refer to your notes." So of course, what do you do to prevent "referring" to the notes in front of your class 1? You memorize it. No !

Learn to understand the lesson you're teaching. Read it so many times, research about it so much until you understand that HEY ! this is the reason I'm teaching the forced approach. Because once you understand WHAT it is you're teaching, then the rest will come because by this point you have most likely done it a few hundred times. Also, don't cram it in and try to learn it because you have another GROUND BRIEFING with your class 1 tomorrow. Take your sweet time in learning what you're teaching, and call your class 1 for a ground briefing when you're ready to present. You will find that doing this will be much more valuable than the wad head that completed his instructor rating in 6 weeks... Let's not make this a flame away thread on how long it should take to complete the rating. :lol:

Let's take a look at an example. You want to teach taxiing.

What's the point of taxiing (objective)? To safely operate the aircraft to and from movement areas. Ok, so in order to SAFELY teach an OPERATION, what do you need to consider? Wear and Tear on the airplane? Taxing with brakes? Differential Breaks? Throttle Control? Mixture Control? Taxi Speed? ATC? Other airplanes? Airmanship? Helicopters? Passengers on the Ramp? Passenger Comfort? ... you get the picture. I'm sure you can add a bunch more to the list of what to teach. From here, what do you include on your PGI? Well most of it, you don't want to surprise the student in the airplane with something that hasn't been briefed about.

The tough part in the beginning is to find out the "WHAT" or the "OBJECTIVE" of something is. This will take you a bit of time to figure out. But once you get the catch, it'll take less time.

The idea behind it all is that once you connect with the objective, you really won't need the PGI notes. Especially once you find your teaching style !

Here's something you can try. Try teaching your illiterate grand parents how to use microsoft word to type a letter.

Well the first step, as basic and STUPID as it may sound, you need to teach your student how to start the computer. From an instructor stand point, how do you know that you have to teach the start of the computer? Well let's review the objective. The objective is to teach an unable candidate to use microsoft word. How can this person navigate to microsoft word? Well it starts by starting the computer.

Let's take that paragraph and apply it to a student.

You want to teach a student how to taxi the aircraft. Wouldn't it make sense to start with how you go through with the engine start? wouldn't it make sense that before the engine start he knows a little bit about flight operations? Keep questioning what would make sense to teach when you're trying to teach somebody how to do something, and the bits and pieces will come together. Essentially, in teaching you want to try avoiding questions related to the OBJECTIVE. How do you do that? By asking yourself, what would be in the best interest of the candidate to know :) Or what might the candidate be confused about by this point?

What you do want to encourage however are questions that add as insight to the OBJECTIVE. Because those are the additions of the students insight and are VERY helpful to their overall understanding of what's going on. On another note, you learn from them too !

Last but not least, try to not rely on somebody else starting your "instructor rating" course by giving you their PGI's. You want to become a good instructor? Learn to become one the RIGHT way right from the get go. You will soon come to find that being perfect in everything you do around a student is your job. It start's with a perfectionist attitude if you ask me.

This is my 2 cents... 8)

Have fun, it's one hell of a fun course !

Last edited by loopa on Fri Feb 19, 2010 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Big Pistons Forever
Top Poster
Top Poster

trey kule wrote:Here is a tip. Speak and write in good old plain English. I have been flying for over 40 years and darned if I know what a PGI is. Read all the posts and as near as I can figure it is some kind of secret Instructor-speak. Aviation has always had its acronomyms, but it seems lately that too many instructors speak mainly in acronymish.
They dont speak about the best rate or angle of climb and try and instill an understanding of it in their student, but instead speak of Vx and Yy and, my very favorite Vysse or something like that. Please, make your presentations clear when you do them.

So, what exactly does PGI mean?
Since this is the forum about flight instruction most posters assume that the readers are familiar with the flight instructor lexicon , just like a poster on the Bush pilot forum would probably not feel necessary to define say "Herman Nelson" or "2870". This thread, in particular, is quite specific to the business of learning/the practice of flight instruction as apposed to most others which are a more general discussion of flying technique, like the night flying thread. Therefore IMO I do not think your criticism is particularly appropriate, however FYI the ground instruction is broken into 3 parts

GS = Ground School (to teach the theory)
PGI = Preparatory Ground Instruction (the ground lesson to teach the practical aspects eg slow flight)
PFB = Preflight Briefing (this covers the actual details of the flight , the what and how, and the PDM /safety aspects that relate to this specific flight)

In practice the PGI usually segues from the PGI to the PFB as part of one ground instruction session. The reason that a distinction is made between the two is a PFB should always be carried out prior to every dual or solo flight but a PGI may not be necessary if you are just going out to further practice something that has allready been taught, or it is a solo flight.

trey kule
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by trey kule »

Thank you BP. Now I know what PGI means.

I will take your other comments under advisement, but ask yourself this. If , instead of the "lexicon", someone used plain old English, I would not have had to ask the question. Same goes for students. To many of them finish up their training with a head full of acronyms and zero understanding of what it is all supposed to mean. Just an old guy's thoughts so.

TTYL

Accident speculation:
Those that post don’t know. Those that know don’t post
5x5
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by 5x5 »

nightbird,

I agree that you should be getting this help from your Class 1, but since you apparently aren't, here is something that might work as an outline for you. As these will be your guide and memory joggers when you actually start teaching, using someone else's is a bad idea. It may seem like a timesaver, but the real value is what you yourself learn as you develop the words and important points you want to include. The reading and research you do to verify what's needed and the references you want to note are where the real value lies. If you do succumb to the time pressure you allude to and simply copy someone else's just to get it done, you and worse, your future student's will really regret it as you will not understand the exercises fully enough and will do a poor job as an instructor.

This is not intended to be the full content of what you discuss, just the basic and important points as reminders for you. The words and content obviously has to be yours, but keeping to a consistent format - What, Why, Goal, How, Safety and Summary will make each session similar for the student and thus easier for them to relate to as they progress. The "Items to Cover" at the end are reminders of important topics that you introduce as appropriate.
Exercise 4b: Taxiing – Airplane Operation

Review: FTM pg 26 – 28, FGU pg 86, 87

What: Maneuvering an aircraft on either land or water surfaces.

Why: Necessary get to and from runway and move around airport grounds.
Goal: Understand basic procedures and aircraft controls for taxi.

How: weathercocking – tendency of an aircraft to want to head into the wind
Commence taxi – release brake, add power to initiate forward movement, then reduce once in motion
Check Brakes – once moving bring to smooth halt using brakes to insure proper operation
Turning – mostly controlled by use of rudders, not brakes
- amount of rudder depends on radius of turn, surface type and condition, strength and direction of wind
- if brakes needed, use sparingly and never harshly
Taxi Speed and Lookout – maximum fast walk, reduce power to slow and use brakes sparingly
- continually watch for other planes, vehicles, surface hazards and people while taxiing

Wind – inputs on stick required to compensate for wind at all times (diag. FTM pg 46)
- develop continual awareness

Radio – contact ground frequency for all taxi clearances
- to active for takeoff
- from active after landing
- any movement on the airport

Safety & Summary: Be aware of wind at all times – windsocks, flags, etc. Watch shelter from buildings. Taxi slowly, reduce power, minimal brakes

Items to Cover:
Marshalling (AIP AIR 1.8, pgs 1-17,1-18) Rolling instrument check – Ex 24
Surface conditions Dealing with strong winds

Being stupid around airplanes is a capital offence and nature is a hanging judge!

“It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.”
Mark Twain
zed
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by zed »

From the previous post on a sample taxiing PGI, it raises a point of discussion on what is required to be included in a particular PGI.

Reading my Instructor Guide it provides exercises and in the case of taxiing it states:
Essential Background Knowledge
(1) Explain:
  • Aerodrome layouts, noting aprons, taxiways including identification and markings, runways or surface to be used for take-off, runway numbers and markings;
    Use of anti-collision lights and navigation lights to increase aircraft conspicuousness;
    Need for adequate clearance from objects adjacent to the aircraft and ensuring no conflict exists with other traffic prior to taxiing;
    How to use power to start moving and how to stop;
    Use of brakes, nose wheel or tail wheel for steering. In the case of a tail wheel aircraft, explain how to anticipate corrective action to maintain directional control;
    Speed control considerations;
    How to monitor ATIS and obtain clearance to taxi — use of standard phraseology and radio discipline;
    How to obtain clearance to enter or cross a runway;
    Need for keeping the ground controller advised of the aircraft's position when requested;
    Mandatory readback or acknowledgement, as required, of clearances to enter, exit, cross, hold your position and hold short of active runways and taxiways;
    Use of the Mandatory Frequency or Aerodrome Traffic Frequency at uncontrolled aerodromes;
    How flight controls should be used under strong wind conditions to prevent upset;
    How various flight instruments are checked while taxiing;
    Parking considerations under various conditions — restricted space, strong winds, slipstream nuisance avoidance, etc.;
    Use of parking brake/wheel chocks, when brakes are hot and in winter conditions.
And in the explanation of the different sections, it defines 'Essential Background Knowledge' as:
This is the minimum knowledge required for the student to benefit fully from the air instruction. One of your obligations as an instructor is to make sure that students complete all the pertinent ground instruction before beginning air instruction.
So... Does TC want PGI to cover all their stated points as outlined in the Instructor Guide and explained above? Or alternatively do we have complete freedom in our PGI content determination, or is there some other TC guidance, mandatory or recommended?

I am assuming that I am NOT involved in their Ground School and have no firm knowledge of where they are in completing it. I would also assume that none of the points raised as essential were not already presented to the student in a previous PGI for another air lesson.

This has been a bit of a question that I have had differing points of view expressed to me about, i.e. :smt014

Thanks.

Zed.

Big Pistons Forever
Top Poster
Top Poster

For the FI flight test the examiner will expect you to cover every item in the appropriate exercise guide covered in part 2 of the FIG. Teh FIG IMO is a pretty good publication and the exercise guides in particular provide a complete and usefull indication of all the points relavent to that exercise. But this is the "what", what matters is the "how". Presolo PGI's, especially the early ones, are quite difficult because everything is new the student. They do not have very much preexisting knowledge and experience to relate the new information to. A long and very detailed PGI with many new concepts explained in great detail will likely go in one ear and out the other. Also for the theory to be turned into knowledge it is particuarly important that it be reinforced in the airplane. For example you want to brefly discuss parking considerations so as to make sure the student understands that they have to think about this part of aircraft operation, but the effective learning wil occur with the practical demonstration of why the runup is done in this area and not the other one,and the tail is pointed in that direction, not over there etc etc.. For the taxi PGI after a brief discussion of the main points I like to make a little story out of it using a copy of the airport diagram and driving my pencil around the airport with various little scenarios. Elements of knowledge are then dropped in at the correct times( eg "OK we are coming up to arunway we have to cross, these are the necessary radio calls )
It is also important that you understand that thsi PGI does not represent the last time we will ever talk about taxing, so some of the more advanced concepts can be touched on here and then reinforced later, like the instrument check.

loopa
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by loopa »

Zed, you can sit here and pinpoint my example on the taxiing PGI all day. I suppose I should of summarized my post at the end. What I was trying to get across is that you should use the FIG as a guide to figure out what to say. But remember, this is the GUIDE.

By this point, you also know that what you demonstrate on a flight test can be very different than how you would normally do things in real life.

A perfect example on that, the DFTE at the school I flew out of, was big on using the GPS to monitor ground speed during taxi. This DFTE would give people 2's if they taxied faster than 5 kts. Another DFTE said, as long as you look to the sides of the airplane and it looks like a reasonable taxi speed, I'm fine.

So in order to do well with the DFTE with the 5 kt rule, you will do a 5 kt taxi, and in order to do well with the other DFTE, you taxi at "normal speed." But teaching something towards the "FLIGHT TEST" is in my opinion a receipt for failure. Don't teach your students to be "robots." Teach them to think and evaluate everything they do, as this is the attitude that in my opinion will take them far in this industry. For example, if you tell a robot that taxi speed is 5 kts, is he going to taxi down taxi way Charlie at CYYC from the gate to Runway 34 at 5 kts on a dry, sunny day? You know how long that will take him? On the other hand, are you going to teach your student to do "normal taxi speeds" no matter the conditions? No you're not. You're going to teach them to "EVALUATE" the conditions, and apply their common sense and training to accommodate the scenario. A flight test simulates this, but not to the fullest extent. You can't put everything in a PGI, or in other words, you can't put everything into ONE PRESENTATION just because it's part of essential background knowledge. The things you see listed under that section are things that this student should know as a PRIVATE PILOT. So before being sent to the flight test, the student needs to know that. Can you imagine how overwhelmed the student would feel if you did a 5 hour PGI on how to move the plane from the apron to the runway?...

So how do you teach somebody to do something leaving all guides and publications aside? How do you know where to start? Don't you think that connecting with the objective and purpose of an exercise is the most important thing before anything comes out of your mouth? Because if you don't know what you're teaching, you're just memorizing a bunch of quotes and PGI notes; that in my books isn't worth the students 10 grand he is planning on spending on you teaching him how to fly. And kid you not, this is unfortunately one of the LARGEST problems that is faced in today's flight training. Too many people doing it for the hours and not for the right reasons. But that's a discussion on it's own.

Once you have figured out the objective and purpose of the exercise, brainstorm on what you find is important to get across. Again, leaving all the PUBLICATIONS aside. Because these are things that YOU think are important for YOUR student to know because of the experience you have had for the last 300 hours. While very little experience, you sure will have some stories to tell about your 300nm trip ;)

Then organize your thoughts, cross reference it with the FIG to see what TC wants to see. Now you will have a final list of what needs to be taught. Plan it accordingly with respect to the LESSON PLAN's if you like. So the exercise on taxiing will be taught throughout the PPL course, adding bits and pieces to it as student experience is increased.

Remember, we're still flying under a jurisdiction. Don't develop the attitude of "oh I'll teach what ever I feel like." Obviously we still have to teach to the TC standards. But what can you as a good instructor add to the TC standards? This is what you should be constantly thinking about because let's be honest, the TC standards are something you should be well aware of by now, being a CPL and all...

Best of luck to your Instructor Rating man ! I hope this was a bit clearer. 8)

zed
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by zed »

My Bad
Apologies Loopa if it came out as a critique. Was never meant to be. I was just carrying the thread forward using the same example, I should have used a non-taxiing example. My bad.

Key Element
I agree when you plan an instructional flight you do not cover 10 million things, otherwise they learn nothing. Focus on the objective and make reasonable goals for each instructional flight.

Challenge
The challenge like most things is with the first few flights where students often feel like they are hooked up to a fire hose of knowledge gushing at them. And in some ways that is unavoidable because nearly everything is new to them.

Each student is unique in their abilities to handle, process and store new information coming at them, which is why cookie cutter instruction fails to a certain extent. Specifically it fails with students who fall wholly or partly outside of the norm used to design the cookie cutter instruction. This I think is where good instructors excel, because they can recognize it and attempt to limit the flow to a level which is useful to the student.

The difficulty can be compounded further when the student has no ground school knowledge either. Sort of a double whammy, your PGIs may now have to have a bit more depth then is ideal as you now also need to include more theory. The alternative is to cut back both breadth and/or depth, but of course this means that it must be made up later, which will lengthen the training time. But better this then to make it un-enjoyable for them so that they stress and/or quit. A side element of this, is by encouraging early completion of ground school/theory, their actual benefit of the PGIs will increase as they participate more interactively with questions.

Use of Guide
Personally, I like the guide for identifying specific topics that, as you rightly pointed out, need not be covered in a single PGI. However, what I have often seen unfortunately is that many items get missed and never directly passed on to the student. An instructor may not even know they missed something. Some things may be less critical then others as they may learn them in Ground School, through their own observations and questions, or in discussions with other and reading. The instruction is set up this way on purpose, one to reinforce and emphasize learning, but equally from a more procedural method ensure that the student will get all aspects. But the best method to ensure the student has the knowledge is to ensure that by the end of his instruction, the PGIs have covered the essentials. Checklists can be useful in things other then just for cockpit procedures.

My Question
My question was answered... Its a guide. However, it is a GOOD guide and unless someone has another reference for Canadian Instructors it is really the only authoritative guide. So if God forbid an incident occurs and the lawyers come a knocking, they'll like to know why you did things a certain way. If you have lots of experience, great, you are a qualified expert. If you have less experience, still not a problem if you were following the ‘Guide’ because it provides a recognized framework of instruction.

I tend to recommend ensuring that the minimums of essential background knowledge are covered at some point during a students training. I think we are all in agreement here. Specifically how this is done will I think [and hope] remain dependant on the instructor, level and experience of the instructor, and any other school training policies that they work under. As pointed out, TC training standards represent the minimum. Instructors should go beyond the minimums if the training is to be truly successful. IMO.

Original Thread
Coming back to Nightbird’s initial request. I do not keep ready made PPTs full blown PGIs at this time. I keep some snippets for complicated bits of knowledge in order to simplify (picture worth a thousand words and all that). If you have your heart set on creating a cookie cutter series of PGIs then I strongly recommend keeping it simple.

Once you start down the PPT road it can consume your time to little additional benefit. I would start by thinking how to do your PGI without PPT, and then figure out what sections would be easily enhanced with a visual.

Good words and the use of a hand model still go a long way to teaching someone.

Good luck,

Zed.

iamasce
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by iamasce »

mcrit wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:08 am
pilotman15 wrote:I would highly recommend not doing them as powerpoints and developing your original PGI's on paper and using the old overhead projector for the points that you don't want to write out. You would be very lucky if you worked at a school that had powerpoint capability in every PGI/briefing room.
+2

I've always found that for developmental teaching you can't beat the old chalk and talk.

As far as coming up with your own breifing notes, I don't see any point in reinventing the wheel, at least not from scratch. PM me and I'll send you PGI notes that you can use as a template.
I can't PM you but is there a way you could send me that as well for a template?

EPR
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by EPR »

With experience you will eventually be able to predict common errors with certain exercises, for example when it comes to taxiing..students will often "ride the brakes" to slow down rather than reduce engine RPM and another example, when learning to land at night..don't "stare into the landing light" on the runway prior to the flare.

Keep the dirty side down.
Civic
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Civic »

Big Pistons Forever wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:41 am
+1

Power Point can have value for ground school presentations, but IMO has at best only a peripheral place in the PGI. Good PGI's should be interactive with you leading the student from known information to new concepts/procedures etc. A white board is still the best medium for presenting PGI's IMO. However while I am a total ludite I will acknowledge the utility of new information technologies. If you have your own laptop, one usefull adjunct to PGI's can be a library of short youtube clips. For instance, a clip of the stall entry and recovery can demsitify the manoever and show a nervous student it is not a scary manoever, and the clip which shows a Pa 28 tuffed wing stalling is also a great visual.
Would using a laptop and showing youtube or other video clips be 'legal' in teaching PGIs to a student and of course I like using a white board and interacting with the student.
Thanks

Return to “Flight Training”