What makes an aircraft IFR certified?

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

schleprock
Rank 1
Rank 1

What makes an aircraft IFR certified?

Post by schleprock »

I've been searching the CAR's, and all I could find was 605.18 listing the equipment required for IFR flight, but is there anything further required than that and a C of A? Some googling yielded some FAA requirements of yearly pitot-static certification, but I couldn't find anything specific to Canada, so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
---------- ADS -----------

Bushav8er
Rank 8
Rank 8

Re: What makes an aircraft IFR certified?

Post by Bushav8er »

No. You found it. Basically if its equipped as stated at (your) ref it then becomes a maintenance issue under 523 Subchapter F, Equipment-General and
625.09 Unserviceable Equipment - Aircraft with a Minimum Equipment List or, as applicable
625.10 Unserviceable Equipment - Aircraft without a Minimum Equipment List

You should know the limits for the instruments and that the Altimeter/Static systems need testing - 571

It should be noted that because a lot of aircraft here are manufactured in the US, the Certification (type certificate) is often accepted based on the US testing/standards and further digging will direct you to those like this one for 551.108 Radio Navigation Equipment

That all said, it comes down to the usual "...The final decision, however, still rests with the pilot. "

Tim
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Tim »

i thought that the pitot/static does need to be done every 12mos for IFR in canada as well...not 100% sure though, and it's not mentioned in the CARS

mathewc
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by mathewc »

Ugh, the examiner asked me "Is this aircraft IFR certified?" in regards to the twin we were going to use. The answer is that there is no IFR certification but you can use it for IFR flight if all the requirements are met. There is no document that says "This aircraft is IFR certified" that I've ever seen.

Bushav8er
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Bushav8er »

You are correct Tim and I did mention that system too.

"IFR Certified" is a term that crossed the border from the US. Here our requirements list what is required (in aircraft for IFR flight) and then states that if flown for that purpose the equipment has to installed/functioning as per their standard, making it both a maintenance issue and a pilot/owner responsibility. So you were given a 'trick' question mathewc.

Short form? You go to Joe Blows Flying Club and rent a C172; you hold a current IFR rating. The aircraft has the items listed as 'required' at the ref, you see a altimeter/static test signed off within 12 months, the instruments are serviceable and pass the VOT test you're good.

BTD
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by BTD »

In addition, take a quick look through the POH/AFM. While it is not a regulation, or a certificate, the manufacturer must detail the limitations of the aircraft.

It won't necessarily tell you what you can do, but it will tell you what you can't do. Check the limitations. I can't remember, but I believe that the Diamond C1 I used to fly said in the POH, the aircraft is not an IFR aircraft. I forget how it was worded, and I believe it was due to the composite airframe in the C1 and its static dissipation abilities. That was a number of years ago now, so maybe someone more current could say for certain.

BTD

Bushav8er
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Bushav8er »

Good point BTD, having never flown a 'plastic' airplane I hadn't thought of that. I would think that the TC (type certificate) would be the final word though - see below for the Diamond C1:
http://www.tc.gc.ca/aviation/applicatio ... num=090088

Scroll down and you find 'Basis of certification'
5. Model DA20-C1 equipped with Garmin G500 Integrated Display System
The following additional requirements apply:
AWM 523-VLA.1311 Change 523-VLA-1
Finding of Equivalent Safety
AWM 523-VLA.1311(a)(5) Change 523-VLA-1

Which is here,
http://www.tc.gc.ca/civilaviation/regse ... m#523vla_3

scroll down again to [523-VLA.1311 Electronic Display Instrument Systems] and you find this -
(a)(5) have an independent magnetic direction indicator and either an independent secondary mechanical altimeter, airspeed indicator, and attitude instrument or individual electronic display indicators for the altitude, airspeed, and attitude that are independent from the aeroplane’s primary electrical power system. These secondary instruments may be installed in panel positions that are displaced from the primary positions specified by 523-VLA.1321(c), but shall be located where they meet the pilot's visibility requirements of 523-VLA.1321(a);

How was the aircraft equipped? You'll also see the the aircraft is of the 'Utility Cat' and that only two of the Flight Manuals are approved in Canada.

(I know, more info than anyone wanted but I try to show how things relate)

For TCs - here's the link (for those interested) -
Type Certificates

Big Pistons Forever
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Big Pistons Forever »

For an aircraft to be flown IFR it must

1) In the limitation sections of the POH say that IFR flight is not prohibited (US built aircraft will have a phrase similar to "This aircraft may be used for IFR operations in when equiped in accordance with FAR part 91 / 135 " )

2) be equiped in accordance with CAR 605.18

3) Have a valid pitot static certification

4) Be flown by an appropriately rated pilot possesing the required charts and publication

5) The PIC will have assured him/herself that all equipement necessary for the proposed IFR flight is in working order.

Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Bede »

I think part of the Katana IFR question is that it doesn't have a heated pitot tube. That's what it was on the A1.

Tim
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Tim »

Bede wrote:I think part of the Katana IFR question is that it doesn't have a heated pitot tube. That's what it was on the A1.
that's part of it, nor can it fly VFR OTT for the same reason.

also it doesn't have alt static (well the eclipse C1s that i flew didnt)

Return to “Flight Training”