Circuits training

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

shimmydampner
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by shimmydampner »

Give me a break, if you can't read a map with one hand on the control column without the airplane getting away from you, you probably shouldn't be flying it in the first place. I never had a student that had any great difficulty with that. So they're out 25 feet on the altitude in the 10 seconds it takes them to find their position, big deal. They should be looking outside every couple seconds to reference the land features against the map anyways.
---------- ADS -----------

High Flyer
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by High Flyer »

For those of you that remained on topic, thanks. Replies were interesting and informative. Hopefully, for you as well, they gave me something to think about. And remember, even though we may not get paid as such, instructing is a profession not a past-time.

Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

This is interesting reading, what would you guys think of doing one minute circuits for sharpening up your general airplane handling skills?

Of course when doing one minute circuits climbing to five hundred feet and doing 20 degree bank turns won't get it done.

By the way what is all this stuff about tools and tool boxes in the training jargon that has become so popular? Do you actually buy a tool box to carry in the airplane? :smt003

Cat

Last edited by Cat Driver on Mon Mar 28, 2005 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The hardest thing about flying is knowing when to say no

After over a half a century of flying no one ever died because of my decision not to fly.
permateacher
Rank 2
Rank 2

Circuits

Post by permateacher »

Sorry, had to bite Cat...

Tools, toolbox's, skills, skillsets, whatever you want to call it. Just a little metaphor thrown in to help in the learning process. Hangover I guess from the (modern) armed forces where you use everything you can to try teaching a life saving skill in a finite amount of time. Other than the "metaphors", what do you think of the approach? Do you have any other suggestions to help teach circuits? The one minute circuit is great and all... at your local corn field perhaps. Modern training airports with towers tend to shy away from those. The guys asking to do those was probably being called a tool himself. But I've been wrong berfore and I'll surely be wrong again.

Guys on this thing take time to write up these posts in an attempt to be helpful. I like the idea that someone may be able to use some of the stuff I do to help them out. Some of it may be BS, but I'm sure some of it's good too. It sure does suck though to have someone crap on your post. But if using the word "toolbox" was the only thing you could sink your teeth into I guess I should take that as some roundabout compliment. So smile, chill out a bit, and add your sugestions to the mix... I'm sure you have a ton of great stuff alone to share with all your experience.

Do leave other people's stuff alone however unless you have something to intelligentint to say. It leaves mostly calm guys like me kinda ticked and a little put off.

If I pegged ya wrong I'm sorry, you know where to find me.

Raf

Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

Permateacher :

I was trying to be funny with the tool box comment, in fact I will put a green smiley after it to show what I meant.

On a serious note there are a couple of suggestions that I can make gathered from the flying habits of a great many of the pilots that I watch flying light aircraft.

Here are two.

( 1 ) To many pilots use brakes to control speed while taxiing, far to many do not seem to realize that the throttle can be used to control taxi speed.

( 2 ) Far to many pilots have difficulty maintaining a constant attitude during the climb because they use the airspeed as an attitude instrument and chase airspeed. That habit of course comes from improper attitude and movement instruction from the get go. In otherwords they do not seem to understand that attitude control is best judged by looking outside the airplane rather than chasing the airspeed.

The one minute circuit is not all that big a deal as long as one has an airport with no traffic and no noise complaint problems or ATC problems.

Here on Vancouver Island we have several airports where you can easily do these circuits with no problems, the best is the airport at Port Alberni, four thousand feet of pavement with no houses or obstructions to worry about. I have them do one minute circuits left and right until they are accurate with airspeed and turn timing.

Sorry about the other post I was trying to be funny, and I guess it did not read that way.

Cat

After over a half a century of flying no one ever died because of my decision not to fly.
permateacher
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by permateacher »

That's no problem at all, it's hard to wink after writing something. I've been there too. I hope I didn't come off to strong either. Good suggestions about the brakes. Students would run into all kinds of trouble later on with that in the turbines with more weight on the wheels.

Thanks for the post,

Raf

Shiny Side Up
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Shiny Side Up »

Hey Cat, what do you mean by "One minute circuits"?

We can't stop here! This is BAT country!
Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

Rather than d a normal circuit you find an airport where there is no traffic and no houses near and you do circuits with one minute from touch and go to touch and go.

Actually you can get them shorter than that but one minute gives the best timing for good attitude and airspeed control for the average pilot.

Also I alternate one left hand and one right hand..and a tailwheel airplane is best because you can wheel land and touch and go easier than with a nose wheel airplane.

Cat

basler
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by basler »

fatdumbandlazy
put the bong down!

Return to “Flight Training”