Best study material for Instrument rating written exam?

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

jpar84
Rank 3
Rank 3

Best study material for Instrument rating written exam?

Post by jpar84 »

Hey guys,

I was just curious as to the consensus on what books and study material are the most useful in preparing for the instrument rating wirtten exam. I understand TC has a study guide as they do for the private and commercial exams which I intend to use. I have also been told that the capgen and AIM rac 6-10 are sufficient, is this true? For those of you who have successfully written the exam, what did you find useful?

thanks a million
JP
---------- ADS -----------

gaamin
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: Best study material for Instrument rating written exam?

Post by gaamin »

JBL
cdnpilot77
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by cdnpilot77 »

I did the exam about a month and a half ago.

Used the Cap-Gen, AIM, Air Command Weather Manual, Aerocourse workbook and the Pultz Manual.

Pultz is a little bit outdated as there is very little on GPS but also quite a few mistakes in it. If you can catch them, its not too bad and very simple to read and follow though. A lot of good practise questions and exams, some were lifted from the TC exam nearly word for word.

Aerocourse was money! Very similar to the actual exam questions.

Air Command Weather Manual is a great book for IFR weather study!

joco
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by joco »

joco
magyar
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by magyar »

I used;
aero course, ., AIM, and CFS/CAP/CAP GEN

believe it or not there were some minor technical glitches in almost all of these... but the way i looked at it is, if you can find those glitches thatn you are doing very good 8)

jpar84
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by jpar84 »

Cool, thanks for the replies everyone! Its about time for me to hit the books.

I took a look at the aerocourse website and noticed they offer Ifr courses. Has anybody here taken this course? Whats the word?

thanks again!

cheers
JP

joco
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by joco »

I did the Aerocourse IFR last fall in Toronto. They will give you a study reference that you should go through before the course (so sign up a month or so in advance), then they will teach the course. It was not teaching the exam, like some still believe, but they do a very good job to cover a LOT of ground in 3 days.
Again you have to go through the material before hand, then the course will help you make sense in a lot of areas they may have been unclear by studying alone. Not to brag, but I got 94% on the exam, and I do credit Aerocourse for part of it.
Cheers.

joco
metal
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by metal »

I'm not sure where you're located, but if its near Vancouver, I'd highly suggest taking the 3 day IFR Seminar at Pro IFR. If not, Aerocourse is just as highly praised.

jpar84
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by jpar84 »

Thanks guys. I am located in Montreal, aerocourse is offering their course in Ottawa next weekend, ironically I just happened to have a trip to Ottawa in my plans for another reason. I won't take the course though as you guys mentioned i need to do some self-study first, plus I don't intend to wirte the exam for at least another month or two so I might as well do it closer to my actual exam. I am considering either the june or july course in Toronto. Too bad they don't offer it in Montreal.

cheers
JP

winds_in_flight_wtf
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by winds_in_flight_wtf »

JPAR!

I’m happy you asked! If you want to spend 30 – 50 bucks.... I HIGHLY recommend the following. It's an online program.... you get to choose which questions are asked ... from all sections on the INRAT ... CPL exam, w/e mode you choose to unlock. Download the demo version and see for yourself. There are many questions which require you to look in the CAP (they provide the image) , etc etc etc. Something like 500+ questions for the IFR section alone. TAKE A LOOK!

http://www.dauntless-soft.com/Products/ ... ada/pp.asp

jpar84
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by jpar84 »

winds_in_flight_wtf wrote:JPAR!

I’m happy you asked! If you want to spend 30 – 50 bucks.... I HIGHLY recommend the following. It's an online program.... you get to choose which questions are asked ... from all sections on the INRAT ... CPL exam, w/e mode you choose to unlock. Download the demo version and see for yourself. There are many questions which require you to look in the CAP (they provide the image) , etc etc etc. Something like 500+ questions for the IFR section alone. TAKE A LOOK!

http://www.dauntless-soft.com/Products/ ... ada/pp.asp
Hey,

This looks like an excellent resource! Thanks!

Thanks to everyone who replied, I"ll definitely be a lot more confident when I walk in to write my exam having had access to all these resources.

cheers
JP

Return to “Flight Training”