What to wear around the FTU?

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

justwanttofly
Rank 3
Rank 3

What to wear around the FTU?

Post by justwanttofly »

Hi Avcanada Readers and Posters,

I'm just wondering what to wear around the flight school as a student working towards their commercial licence. I just completed my private, and relocated to the city. I want to project a professional imagine, and want to stand out. Would wearing a white pilot shirt with black tie, pants and shoes be too much? what about minus the tie?

If you could please provide me with your recommendation it would be much appreciated.

Thank you,

justwanttofly
---------- ADS -----------

AuxBatOn
Rank 11
Rank 11

Re: What to wear around the FTU?

Post by AuxBatOn »

Jeans, T-Shirt (or Golf Shirt, whatever you feel comfortable in) and shoes you feel comfortable walking into. Ballcap if you like that.

Going for the deck at corner
AMM
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by AMM »

Try a unibrow.

iflyforpie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by iflyforpie »

Dubya was so handsome back then...

Anything will do really. This is just after I got my multi rating...

Really, it depends on the FTU. I did my PPL at a college and they sent two program students that were doing a 172 trip together home because one didn't show up in a white pilot shirt, tie, and dark slacks. :roll:

But really, the proper attire lies somewhere in between IMHO. You should be dressed for the flight and if you go down somewhere. That means long pants (preferably cotton), sturdy closed toe shoes, and layered shirts. Always take a jacket with you as well. Everything should be clean and nothing torn.

We're really casual around here. My current CPL uniform consists of a company logo'd t-shirt and jeans, though I will often wear a hawaiian shirt on fridays and hoodies through the winter. A pilot who used to work here wore hawaiian shirts, shorts, and sandals every day...

Geez did I say that....? Or just think it....?
Lurch
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Lurch »

You don't have to over dress, dress respectfully.

I have always been taught to dress as if I was going to be spending the night outside.

Also, no where I have flown allowed open toe shoes.

Lurch

Take my love
Take my land
Take me where I cannot stand
I don't care
I'm still free
You cannot take the sky from me
ScudRunner
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by ScudRunner »

I want to project a professional imagine, and want to stand out. Would wearing a white pilot shirt with black tie, pants and shoes be too much?

NERDS!!!!

Big Pistons Forever
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Big Pistons Forever »

clean, not torn or ragged, and not weird.....oh and no piercings !

ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by ahramin »

Who's paying who here?

Lurch
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Lurch »

ahramin wrote:Who's paying who here?
I think the point of asking is so they set a good example for later when they are looking to get hired.

Take my love
Take my land
Take me where I cannot stand
I don't care
I'm still free
You cannot take the sky from me
SuperchargedRS
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by SuperchargedRS »

A sock

Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by 767 »

You should wear full uniform, except for the gold bars on your shouler. You only put those on if someone gives them to you (i.e. air canada). White shirt, black tie (or any tie), black or navy blue pants, and dress shoes is the way to go. I would always keep your tie on, as long as its comfortable. I got into aviation in 2005, and Ive been dressing the same every day since day 1. People might think your crazy, let them. Be yourself. Good luck with your career! 8)

Never buy 1$ tickets
AuxBatOn
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by AuxBatOn »

767 wrote:You should wear full uniform, except for the gold bars on your shouler. You only put those on if someone gives them to you (i.e. air canada). White shirt, black tie (or any tie), black or navy blue pants, and dress shoes is the way to go. I would always keep your tie on, as long as its comfortable. I got into aviation in 2005, and Ive been dressing the same every day since day 1. People might think your crazy, let them. Be yourself. Good luck with your career! 8)
I hope this is sarcasm, however, knowing you, I know it is not.... Don't try to distinguish yourself by the way you dress and suck up on the boss. People should notice you by your work ethic and your performance.... No need to friggin dress like a clown for flying. Never did, never will. Go figure, I suceeded in aviation.. without wearing a tie every day... I wonder how....

Going for the deck at corner
Hedley
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Hedley »

Disregard all of the above.

A good pilot is always prepared for any emergency, and you should always be prepared for accidentally exceeding 60,000 feet - happened to me twice last week - where a pressure suit is required for continued survival.

This is what you always should wear around the FTU:

Notice her emergency package of diapers and steak knives on her left arm.

This pilot is ready for anything!

Louis
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Louis »

What does the remainder of the tribe wear?

In other words, be well dressed, not overdressed, not necessarily to fit in, but not to stand out like a sore thumb either.

If your instructors wear pilot shirts with bars, well, don't! (Do you want to be remembered as forming the duo "Captain Skyhawk" and his sidekick "152-boy"??)

In most flight school settings, as a CPL student, I'd go for various shirts or golf shirts with proper pants and shoes. Make sure your shoes have a decent shine too.

niss
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by niss »

Flight suits and dark aviators regardless of the time of day were the norm when I was in ground school.

But then again, my class was the only one to see a 172 go into a 4g negative dive so........

She’s built like a Steakhouse, but she handles like a Bistro.

Let's kick the tires, and light the fires.... SHIT! FIRE! EMERGENCY CHECKLIST!
erics2b
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by erics2b »

767 wrote:You should wear full uniform, except for the gold bars on your shouler. You only put those on if someone gives them to you (i.e. air canada). White shirt, black tie (or any tie), black or navy blue pants, and dress shoes is the way to go. I would always keep your tie on, as long as its comfortable. I got into aviation in 2005, and Ive been dressing the same every day since day 1. People might think your crazy, let them. Be yourself. Good luck with your career! 8)
I agree with all the above, except I would wear gold bars just for gold measure. See if you can get in contact with this guy to get some of his extras that he got off eBay:

Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Bede »

If you're concerned with projecting a professional image, wear what airline pilots wear during training: khaki's, a clean shirt and clean shoes. Jeans if they're nice.

A our school, I have our instructors ensure students wear clothes suitable for the flight with respect to emergency situations. We tell them "dress as if you need to spend the night outdoors". If you show up for an xcountry with sandels and shorts, you won't be going flying. Sorry, safety trumps style.

Tim
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Tim »

767 wrote:You should wear full uniform
767 wrote: Be yourself
dont you mean you think he should be YOU? that post was the a big load of crap. more of youre self-invented rules and standards that you think make you better than the rest.

JWTF, if they give you a uniform, wear it. if they have a dress code, follow it. if they dont, wear what you want, but be prepared to live with the consequences. the advice about no open toes and be prepared to spend a night outside is VERY sound. comfort is more important that style or looks when youre on a flight (which is why they make flight suits and golf shirts). i never felt comfortable in my instructors uniform...especially on hot summer days or cold winter days. on missions on i wear pj pants or shorts under a flight suit with a white t-shirt. on charters i wear the standard pilot uniform (thank god they dont come up much).

if you have to wear dress pants the ones that have a bit of elastic in the waist are great, they dont bunch up nearly as much when youre sitting for a while, worth the extra few bucks in my opinion. dress shirts can be a little comfier if the top button is left open or if you buy them a bit big. theres nothing worse then being uncomfortable when youre strapped in and cant do much about it.

no matter what you chose to wear make sure theres nothing offensive or illegal on it (i.e. a tshirt that says @#$! the police or has bob marley smoking a doobie might not go over well) thatll get you noticed and youll earn a bad rep in a hurry.

ball caps are definatly fine even IN uniform. they block the sun and allow you to see more. ive seen everyone from instructors to air canada pilots wear ball caps in uniform and i do too.

what does the CFI wear at your new FTU?

Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by 767 »

You should wear full uniform, except for the gold bars on your shouler. You only put those on if someone gives them to you (i.e. air canada). White shirt, black tie (or any tie), black or navy blue pants, and dress shoes is the way to go. I would always keep your tie on, as long as its comfortable. I got into aviation in 2005, and Ive been dressing the same every day since day 1. People might think your crazy, let them. Be yourself. Good luck with your career! 8)

Never buy 1$ tickets
iflyforpie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by iflyforpie »

Good grief. :roll:

Geez did I say that....? Or just think it....?

Return to “Flight Training”