When do you say enough

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore, ahramin, sky's the limit, sepia

D5GRVTY
Rank 3
Rank 3

When do you say enough

Post by D5GRVTY »

When do you tell a student that flying is not for them? I don't mean someone who is pursuing flying as a career but someone who is doing this recreationally. They understand that they are having some difficulty and are incredibly eager to keep on trying but they seem to lack some of the basic skills required to fly an a/c.

I've had a few students who took way longer to grasp some of the simpler concepts of flying an airplane but ended up making great pilots once they got it, I'm just wondering at what point do you draw the limit and tell a student that they should spend their excess money on something else.

80, 90, 100!hrs and still no lic in sight what’s your limit?
---------- ADS -----------

shitdisturber
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by shitdisturber »

It's got nothing to do with time; as you said, some take longer than others. It's a matter of whether or not they'll ever grasp the concepts and/or if they're a danger to themselves and others. Tough call but that's why they pay you the big bucks. :wink:

cedarjet
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by cedarjet »

Let them do a few flights with another instructor, see how it goes. I was handed a rec. student with 80 or so hours (79 dual!!!) and 4 years. 15hrs later he had his permit.

The real cedarjet
Dyck Hertz
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: When do you say enough

Post by Dyck Hertz »

D5GRVTY wrote:When do you tell a student that flying is not for them?
when they run out of the moolah :smt017

chipmunk
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by chipmunk »

I had a couple of these once...
One was a Japanese student who was over here learning English and one of his tasks was to learn a "hobby" in English to improve his skills. That was lots of fun, considering I was flying out of a towered, fairly busy airport...
The other one was an older gentleman who just couldn't, for the life of him, navigate his way anywhere. ANYWHERE!!! (Yes, even runway changes were interesting.) Plus he got very nervous on the radio.
In both cases, it ended up being a matter of sitting down with the student (the first one after it was obvious that going solo in an ATC area was not going to work because of language issues, the second after his 40th hour of diversions/nav practice, with various instructors to try different ideas, and about 100h TT) it was a matter of sitting down with them, talking about what wasn't working and possibly how to correct it, and suggesting they pursue a rec permit first, then possibly move on to the PPL. It worked with the first guy, but the second was so SO determined to do the PPL, he plugged away at it for a while, then ended up going to another flight school at a quiet nearby airport. Last I heard (and this is nearly a year later) he had a PPL flight test scheduled.
So... try sitting down with the student and talking about what is going wrong, that you are concerned about the cost of the training, come up together about possible ways to fix it, consult other instructors for ideas, try a few flights with different instructors, and you may eventually find yourself suggesting a rec, or... if that doesn't work, maybe another learning environment... That said, there's another student at the school whose parents have all the money in the world and do not mind spending it because it keeps her busy, who recently did her first solo after over 300 hours and 4 or 5 years. Sometimes it is a test of YOUR patience!!!
Good luck.

Miss Mae
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Miss Mae »

In the 5 years I've flown I've never told a student flying PRIVATLEY wasn't for them as long as they were of the understanding that due to skill/confidence whatever.... it was going to take longer than average. I had one guy I trained off and on over a period of 2 years who had been working towards the issue of a PPL for over 12 years. He did get his license 1 week before his 70th birthday and now just flys purely for the love of it on only good days with light wind. For people working towards the CPL I have told a couple people that maybe it wasn't the thing for them.

flying high
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by flying high »

never tell them!!! if you are an instructor, you need 1) the hours 2) the money. they will figure it out on their own once they talk to other people. if the just want their ppl for fun, then don't worry. they want their cpl someday and do it for a job, tell them because i don't want to fly anywhere near them!

permateacher
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by permateacher »

That's a hard question, and can have a lot of consequences.

I agree with the above where you should have them fly with another person for a bit to see if it helps, or get them to come in a little more for a while to see if their forgetting too much. You can have them do a ground breif where they teach you how to do the excersise... that one work pretty well sometimes. In the end, after you CFI goes for a rip with them and you get his/her advice... then go for it. Tell them a smaller airport might help, or if you're already at a smaller airport then suggest it may not be their thing. It's a decision they should come to on their own in reality, but ya, sometimes you will just have to do it if you've consulted enough collegues about it.

Raf

Return to “Flight Training”