Class 2 ride in Manitoba coming up.

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

lanceair
Rank 1
Rank 1

Class 2 ride in Manitoba coming up.

Post by lanceair »

Hello all,
At the end of September I'll be doing my class 2 ride. Has anyone done their ride in Manitoba recently and can they tell me what to expect?
---------- ADS -----------

tkdowell
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Class 2 ride in Manitoba coming up.

Post by tkdowell »

I have my Class 2 ride in Calgary coming up, I'll let you know how that goes but I imagine they could be quite different.

Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by 767 »

Its the same as any other place. Good luck! :wink:

Never buy 1$ tickets
Tim
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Tim »

best advice i was given: DON'T RUSH THROUGH ANY PART OF THE GROUND BRIEFING OR FLIGHT! theres no 'time' mark so make sure everything is covered. anything that is assessed as a 2 means your SOL, so just do as the FIG says.

Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Bede »

I've only done one class 2 ride, but usually they're very easy as long as you have been practising good habits since your class 4 ride.

AJV
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by AJV »

Tim wrote:best advice i was given: DON'T RUSH THROUGH ANY PART OF THE GROUND BRIEFING OR FLIGHT! theres no 'time' mark so make sure everything is covered. anything that is assessed as a 2 means your SOL, so just do as the FIG says.
I am not sure if this is new but the marking system for Instructor rides goes backwards to the regular flight tests, so if you are marked a 3 that means to class 3 level, 2 is to class 2 level and 1 is to class 1 level. :wink:

Big Pistons Forever
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Big Pistons Forever »

IMO the Class 2 ride is the hardest. This is the first level of Instructing where you have management responsibilities so TC wants to make sure you can cut it as a CFI/supervisor of Class 4's, so you obviously want to have the CFI and supervisory stuff down cold. I would also suggest having a mental template of actions on how you would deal with the new Class 4 who comes to you with a problem. This should IMO always start with a review of the students PTR. I would also make sure I have the aerodynamics and theory of flight stuff very well understood. You do not want to give the examiner a reason to go digging. Also FYI, at least in the Pacific region teaching the night rating has suddenly become a big deal on rides, so make sure you have a good PGI for that.

Hedley
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Hedley »

Class 2 ride is the hardest
Really? I did my class 2 ride - way back when - with a Transport Inspector who had a reputation as a real fire-breathing dragon, and it was pretty straightforward. Mind you, I was already a class 3 CFI.

I always thought the class 1 ride was tougher than the class 2 - Transport is awarding you the privilege of creating new instructors, and that's a pretty serious responsibility.

Big Pistons Forever
Top Poster
Top Poster

Hedley wrote:
Class 2 ride is the hardest
Really? I did my class 2 ride - way back when - with a Transport Inspector who had a reputation as a real fire-breathing dragon, and it was pretty straightforward. Mind you, I was already a class 3 CFI.

I always thought the class 1 ride was tougher than the class 2 - Transport is awarding you the privilege of creating new instructors, and that's a pretty serious responsibility.
My experience was that TC had allready made up their mind about whether or not they wanted me to be a Class 1 before the ride. The answer must have been yes, because the ride itself was pretty much a formality and mostly involved a pleasant and interesting exchange of war stories.

Hedley
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Hedley »

Things sure vary from region to region.

Back in the 1980's in Ontario region, a buddy of mine - who was already CFI of a large, busy school - tried to upgrade to a class 1, and he spent a full day just in the classroom, with no break for lunch. It must have been incredibly exhausting. The inspector had to come back another day for the flight portion of the class 1 test, despite the fact that the wx was perfect.

At least around here, they sure don't hand out class 1 ratings.

niwre
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by niwre »

It's been 1year since I did my class II with inspectors from the Winnipeg Office. I got Spiral dives, from what I hear they'll look at your flt test history and hit on one of your "weaker" areas or they'll get you to do one that has been weak as of late. I found that they were more concerned with the groud that the air portion as they know (assume) you know how to fly standards already. What they will do is see what kind of instructor are you and when you would (if at all) take control if an error was going to be commited. The inspectors out of the Winnipeg office I have found to be very good and ones you can respect. Each has their own style but if you did you IV there the II should not be any different.

What you need to know is, how to get what you need to know.

This is not a retreat. Its an advance to the rear.

There are only 10 people in this world. Those that understand binary and those that don't.
Big Pistons Forever
Top Poster
Top Poster

There is no question that Instructor rides can be pretty variable and by their very nature, are subjective. At the end of the day, for the higher level rides (Class 1 and 2) you have to be prepared to answer a question on just about anything relating to flight training. If you do not have the info at your finger tips you had better know exactly where it is located. While my Class 1 ride was a non event I do not consider it a Gimme because I had put a lot of work getting ready. I am guessing that became obvious early in the flight test. If it had not I think the ride would have proceeded in a very different direction.....

Hedley
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Hedley »

you have to be prepared to answer a question on just about anything relating to flight training
Not just flight training - aviation in general. You had better be prepared to talk about aerodynamics, theory of flight, engines, propellers, flight instruments, aircraft systems, medical stuff, human factors, regulations, etc.

tkdowell
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by tkdowell »

AJV wrote:
Tim wrote:best advice i was given: DON'T RUSH THROUGH ANY PART OF THE GROUND BRIEFING OR FLIGHT! theres no 'time' mark so make sure everything is covered. anything that is assessed as a 2 means your SOL, so just do as the FIG says.
I am not sure if this is new but the marking system for Instructor rides goes backwards to the regular flight tests, so if you are marked a 3 that means to class 3 level, 2 is to class 2 level and 1 is to class 1 level. :wink:
I think what Tim was getting at was a 2 on rpp/ppl/cpl flight tests constitutes a major error, and for the Class II any major error is unnacceptable.

lanceair
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by lanceair »

Hey Guys,
I passed my Class 2 ride last week. The TC examiner I did it with was very helpful. The first item we talked about was CFI duties and Supervision. He had actually sent me about 3 pages of ideas which i then wrote up to fit my school's situation.

After about 45 minutes, he gave me steep turns to PGI. When I got to Canyon turns and Collission avoidance he said I could skip that. In the debrief, he thought it was good that I was prepared for that. He also doesnt like Class 2s writing the whole lesson on the board or reading to students. He wants lots of eye contact etc

After the PGI, he briefed me on the flight. I was to supervise spins and then do one. His was pretty flawless which left me wondering what to critique. He said a lot of rides in the past would make up problems when none actually occured.

After the Spins, I demoed Steep turns and then had him do one. His was pretty good, except for a bit of adverse yaw.

I then showed him spiral dives after which he showed me how to demo them at a slower a/s. He had also shown me an easier way to demo a spin with ruddder first and then full aft elevator.

Back to the airport and a power off 180 and full stop. Thanks to all who gave me advice and answers about particular exercises over the last year.
Cheers

Return to “Flight Training”