Recommended ONLINE ground school.

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

Molson
Rank 1
Rank 1

Recommended ONLINE ground school.

Post by Molson »

Can anyone recommend a good ground school that is offered online. (Has to be complete online)
Thanks
---------- ADS -----------

Tango01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Tango01 »

http://www.aviationspot.com and Mr.C has one too. I can't recommend any of them, since I never took online courses.

T01

Timing is everything.
5x5
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by 5x5 »

I have looked around a bit and the ones I've seen are mostly just questions, similar to any practice exam, and if you can't get the right answer it's up to you to study. Some of them provide study references but that's about it. I've seen some that are comprised of a few powerpoint slides - not interactive at all. And since they're sslides they have less information than a book.

So if anyone can find a good one, I'd be very interested in getting the link as well.

Molson
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Molson »

I have the needed books etc. The one site that was given to me is aviationspot.com. But I was looking for more.
Due to working shift work, its difficult for me to regularily attend a classroom groundschool, and 1 or 2 nights a week is a little slow for me, where I can spend a few hours a night on it and get it completed sooner.

looproll
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by looproll »

Adam @ Harv's Air Service http://www.pilottraining.ca/

it looks good

see-why-wg
Rank 1
Rank 1

Online Groundschool

Post by see-why-wg »

I did the CPL course online through Harv's. I was told that it is not actually maintained by Harv's, so if you have problems with it, as I did, Harv's isn't much help.
The school I went to didn't offer a formal groundschool for the CPL so I tried it, but after each lesson I ended up bugging my flying intructor for an hour to clarify the tedious lessons. It is just a long boring power point presentation with one sentence constituting each slide; some lessons were 50-60 pages long and contained about 12 sentences and some poorly plagiarized diagrams.
Buy some books and rent an instructor/qualified friend to help.
And guys always forget to look at the Transport Canada website for resources, just know the subjects with an asterisk beside them in the study guides on their site and you will be ok.

Ralliart
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Ralliart »

I've been working on a program like this for the past year now, fairly steadily as well........my intention was to create a ground school program for the PPL level to use in the classroom, but now I am gearing towards using the same program for an online type offering since there doesn't seem to be many, and the ones that are out there are basically text books put online.

I've already completed some steps for receiving written copyright permission and publishing permission for material owned by the Crown, such as Transport Canada, Enviroment Canada, Natural Resources, etc. I'm still in the process of working out other agreements with certain companies/individuals/organizations to be able to incorporate their items, such as video, into my presentations.

I've made numerous trips to local airports around Vancouver to take my own digital pictures and gather info from certain people. The pictures are high quality, very precise shots of all things aviation. I then take the pictures and edit them into transparent form and cut out all non-related items (such as the background) thus creating a high quality stand alone image.

I have close to 30 videos now, mostly in digital format ranging from 2 min long to 60 min long and they are very modern, informative, and interesting. Much of the video content is safety and training related.

I'd say my "project" is maybe 75% complete at the classroom level. I use this program for the ground school I teach as CFI........a couple weeks ago I did a 3-day seminar with it, for about 10 people, some of whom had already completed a standard "blackboard/overhead/reading from textbook" style ground school and they really seemed to enjoy the new format.

Since I've been doing this 100% on my own, all the work is very tedious and it will probably be at least another year until I'm close to having something in an online format, but hopefully that will be the end result.

Cheers

Molson
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Molson »

Thats great! fromt he looks of it, there needs to be more online courses. I imagine there are more like me who have a hard time scheduling for classroms.

Tango01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Tango01 »

Here are some other ways to go about the boring school:

Talk to a freelance instructor. Set up a 40- hour course based on your needs (you'll do less than that of course) and pay the guy $450-$500. Write a practice one and he/she will recommend you. Put it in your PTR, and you're done.

Or

Get those "C-man" self-study courses. Make sure your FTU approves it (which they won't) and log the hours studied in the PTR.

Or

Contact Tom Brenan and he will set you up for less than 4 bills.

Or take one of those crappy accelarated courses offered at some FTU's over 2 weekends

In the end you won't learn anything anyway...

Bye

Timing is everything.

Return to “Flight Training”