would u pay @$35000 for Seneca degree

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

testpilot
Rank 1
Rank 1

would u pay @$35000 for Seneca degree

Post by testpilot »

Seneca now charges over 3000 per semester x 10 semesters. i wonder what the benefits are of going that route. added to this are costs for books daily transportation, meals, housing etc.
---------- ADS -----------

Tango01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Tango01 »

Maybe now people that were meant to fly will get on course, not just the smart ones.

T01

Timing is everything.
flyincanuck
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by flyincanuck »

It's an applied degree...not a true degree, which means you're going to have a lot of trouble, if not impossible, to build on the degree (ie honours, masters, etc).

They are getting a CRJ sim for LOFT purposes. Kinda neat, but you'll never see anything like it until at least 6 years after grad.

You're still combining education and flight training.

Go do a four year degree at (for instance) U of T for (at bear minimum) the same amount in terms of tuition. Do your flight training on the side. You'll find that you'll still be below par in savings if you take the Seneca route.

My $0.02...

Johnny
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Johnny »

flyincanuck wrote:Go do a four year degree at (for instance) U of T for (at bear minimum) the same amount in terms of tuition. Do your flight training on the side. You'll find that you'll still be below par in savings if you take the Seneca route.
And you'll be able to find a much better job while you look for a flying job (bank, marketing, etc). You'll have the economic freedom to rent a plane on the side and build time, maybe do a float course, and, when all the dust settles, you'll have a university degree.

wha happen
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by wha happen »

Seneca now charges over 3000 per semester x 10 semesters. i wonder what the benefits are of going that route

The benefits... you can go work in norman wells :D

UWOflyer
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by UWOflyer »

You could also apply to Western's Aviation Management program....it's a 4 year degree....you get a degree in aviation management and also your commercial and multi-IFR! It's a lot of work but worth it.

Son...my wife's legs have more time in the air then you do!
hazatude
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by hazatude »

No

scotothedoublet
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by scotothedoublet »

Go to Confederation in TBay, it's still heavily subsidized. You don't get a MIFR, but you do get a CPL + 25hrs on floats and a diploma in less than two years.

Yoyoma
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Yoyoma »

Same price as Harvard's MBA...

Image In the business world, the rearview mirror is always clearer than the windshield...W. Buffett
desksgo
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by desksgo »

wha happen wrote:
Seneca now charges over 3000 per semester x 10 semesters. i wonder what the benefits are of going that route

The benefits... you can go work in norman wells :D
Ok..THAT made me giggle...

Dyck Hertz
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Dyck Hertz »

hey hazatude that picture of the squriel with his huge ding-dong hanging loose makes me a little jealus. but then again i herd this one chic on tv say that its not the size of the Dyck that maters but how u use it. so i now feel a little better. :oops:

TI-ANB
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by TI-ANB »

No, I would never pay 35K for a Seneca degree.

. ._
Top Poster
Top Poster
Location: Cowering in my little room because the Water Cooler is locked.

Post by . ._ »

I'd pay $35 for a Seneca jacket! :D

-istp

av8tor_assrope
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by av8tor_assrope »

hell no....dam things don't even have goatskin

I want to die like my grandfather did, peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming in terror like his passengers...
just another pilot
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by just another pilot »

I wouldn't pay 10k. A real degree costs about 25k.

bizjet_mania
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by bizjet_mania »

These days its not about your education, its about your hours, your attitude and who you know to walk your resume in.

C-KEEP
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by C-KEEP »

I'm not too familiar with the degree side, but they training is pretty good. Decent planes, decent sims. Even $35,000 is pretty decent for a Commercial and a Multi-IFR. Last time I checked, the commercial alone was $30.000, without the "degree" or extensive ground school. But, your path is yours to choose. Best of luck

C-KEEP
bizjet_mania
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by bizjet_mania »

Too many high time guys occupying low time jobs. Why spend $60,000 after degree when the hours is what really matters. I would much rather focus on building the appropriate time needed to get a job. Especially if you have to go overseas. Your degree in most cases are worthless or not even looked at.

RVR12
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by RVR12 »

Why spend $60,000 after degree when the hours is what really matters. I would much rather focus on building the appropriate time needed to get a job

Exactly Bizjet, sure the Seneca name may be nice, if you dodge the big cut. but when it comes down to employment, its the hours you need. Personaly, I suggest doing it all privately throught a good enough flight school. Go to an FTU that offers all the training you will need (Private & Commercial Ground school especialy) I suggest dong your CPL and Multi, the IFR can wait a few years... but it all depends if you wanna waste money on the IFR that will expire in two years, which is HIGHLY unlikely that you will get an IFR job in the first couple years, so you will need to re-ride for your Group 1 IFR, and not to mention its probly been how long since you last did any IFR work? Getting rusty on instruments has a great tendancy to finish your career and/or life much earlier. The multi never goes bad so even the initial 7-12 hours are a great idea for the least. I also suggest at least TRYING the float stuff, I did, and totaly fell in love with it... the best way to fly! A route like this will take anywhere from 30-40 grand, but its all at your own pace, which I've heard of pilots doing it in 9 months from 0 flight time. As for the education, IMHO, its not good for anything... Id rather take breaking into the industry at 18 or 19, able to get more experiance than to be 22 with an education, and few contacts. You will learn the best things in this industry from the experianced pilots, no flight school can tell you half of the things you will encounter in this industry. Also, the CONTACTS you make outside of your flight program are worth their weight in gold (I cannot emphasise this enough!) so if you train in an environment outside a flight program, you will meet the guys who have flying jobs and may some day need someone to fill them!

Just my 2 cents though...

bizjet_mania
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by bizjet_mania »

best two cents spend i would say :wink:

Return to “Flight Training”