Flight Training

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

zc
Rank 0
Rank 0

Flight Training

Post by zc »

Hey guys,

Got a couple of questions for you lot.

1) Is there an online list available for flight schools? If so,could i have the url thanks.

2) Are there any specific flying schools that are recomended for overseas students that are relatively cheap?

Hope u guys and gals out there can help. Cheers
---------- ADS -----------

Johnny
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Johnny »

Question 1: http://www.tc.gc.ca/aviation/ActivePages/ftae/Index.htm

No info for the second part of the question.

Good luck!

zc
Rank 0
Rank 0

Flight Training

Post by zc »

Johnny,

Thanks for the URL. I was hoping for these flight schools to have websites so i can have a better idea of what im getting myself into. To the rest please help,if possible. It will be awsome. Thanks.

zephyr
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by zephyr »

Hey there,

Go to this link

http://www.landings.com/evird.acgi$pass ... s/fbo.html

Here u will find loads of information about the Flight Schools in USA and Canada and all over the world.

Or
Try this Link http://bestaviationschools.com

Myself being an International Student, i decided to join in Professional Flight Centre: Canada's leading international flight school, located at Boundary Bay airport in Vancouver, BC. IFR, VFR, Heli, FAA conversions, ATPL conversions, world famous seminars.- http://www.proifr.com/

Happy Hunting :smt023

just another pilot
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by just another pilot »

If you want to know what you are getting yourself into - don't ask a flight school... :smt102

zc
Rank 0
Rank 0

yup

Post by zc »

Hey zephyr,

Thanks for that, its not bad at all.

Just another pilot,

good one !

Cheers

zc
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by zc »

Hey zephyr,

If its ok with u, how do u find the flight school that u are in now?

Staff friendly, helpfull and so on?

how much is the cost of living?

Easy to get a casual job? whats the minumum wage?

Cheers in advance

zephyr
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by zephyr »

Hey zc .......hows Hunting' :lol:

Well the most important points before choosing a Flight School :

-Duration & Cost of entire course? Compare it with other schools?

-How many Aircrafts in thier fleet?

-Do they have thier own in-house maintenance facility? This ensures the avalability of aircrafts and faster training achievement.

-Ask about Weather too. In Vancouver the weather is mild compared to other parts of Canada (harsh winters)?

-Well No one will guarantee u the instructors job before they know u? If u r really good and have the right aptitute u will be hired?

-Do they have Housing Facilities for Intl. Students? Pro.Flight Centre has this facility close to the airport for $600 CDN & $750 CDN

Dont worry about How friendly the staff is...Almost all Canadian Flight School with International students experience will be Friendly & Helpful.

I hope this Helps.

P.S :arrow: Never choose a school where they ask upfront payment of the Training.

zc
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by zc »

zephyr,

huntings all right for now thanks.

Was comparing flight schools for days now and managed to pin down 3 schools that look kindda ok.

From experience at my short stint in a flight school in Australia the fleet size and maintenance is important.

About the wx yup i agree with u on that. Have a friend in Central Canada and his winter is usualy -30 to -40 deg cel. It doesnt get below 28 deg where im from.

Boarding sounds kindda expensive right now but then again i dont really know the cost of living in Canada.

I was thinking of getting a casual job ie. as a batender or waiter to cover some living cost.

Cheers for the help, but i guess ill never know till i get there and experience things for myself.

Stay Bright!

Canmoron
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Canmoron »

zc,

I hope that you are having some success. I have just finished my training at the Moncton Flight College. I have trained in Alberta (Edmonton and Calgary), and I agree with the info posted here so far. Although, I do not recommend going for perfect weather. I went to Moncton specifically for the cold, fog and potential icing conditions. Once training is over, you will almost certainly have to fly out of different airports and in less than perfect weather. Moncton offers the opportunity to experience lousy weather, with very good instructors as protection. Yes, there are days when you do not fly, but you can use the time to study.

For cost of living, Eastern Canada is hard to beat. In Moncton, you can get a room in a house full of student pilots for $350CDN/month and it is within walking distance. The school is also converting one of their old buildings into a dormitory.

Moncton Flight College also has a great international student base, and is one of the few schools in North America that is lisenced to provide JAA training (if you are interested in European qualifications).

Moncton meets all of the other criteria as well: Big fleet, onsite maintenance, competitive prices, good instructors, variety of nearby airports and traffic conditions.

http://www.mfc.nb.ca

Good Luck!

What is that Mountain Goat doing up here in the clouds?
zephyr
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by zephyr »

hey ZC ... so have u decided yet on any flight school or still hunting???
Let us know :)

zc
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by zc »

Hey there zephyr,

No i havent decided yet as my mom who has decided that i may be worth the money :) has gone overseas and i havent really decided for sure. I am currently in a limbo where i can either wait fo a cadet-ship or go ahead ans spent some money first to train.

S**t life aint easy, anyways take it easy and thanks again.

See ya

Return to “Flight Training”