Canadian Flyers inc or Island air flight school

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

Juleit Sierra Sierra
Rank 0
Rank 0

Canadian Flyers inc or Island air flight school

Post by Juleit Sierra Sierra »

I am an international student and currently overseas, i am planning to get a commercial pilot licence from cananda. For that i have narrowed down to two schools in Ontario 1. Canadian flyers Inc. 2. Island air flight school. but am still confused which one is better, costs wise n traning wise. so need help from all u people here regarding which school i should go for. Any help will be appriciated
---------- ADS -----------

OHMYLANTA
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Canadian Flyers inc or Island air flight school

Post by OHMYLANTA »

well I believe canadian flyers can train out of the island airport, so either way its a great place to fly. YTZ is very scenic and easy to access via subway and porter's free shuttle if you live in Toronto. As far as which one to choose, never flown with either. But a close family friend and long time pilot trained with island air way back and says they are very good and recommends everyone looking for training there. hope this helps.

FenderManDan
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by FenderManDan »

I took a look at Canadian flyers first and then compared to the Island. The pricing as far as their services seems different but in the big picture it will cost more less the same (it's all pay me now or pay me later game). If you do not know anybody to recommend the instructor it will be a bit tougher for you.

I went for the intro flight with Canadian flyers and they have newer C-172R, however that is all they have. Island has more aircraft and more variety (age vise). I personally did not pick any of them since it would take ma a lot of commute time + ferry ride. YTZ can be very busy with the DASH8 traffic and lesson plan can be interrupted/changed every time.

I have heard number of times on the radio (http://www.liveatc.net/search/?icao=YTZ) pilot requesting touch and go and ATC would reply with the instruction for the full stop and back track/hold short, etc. Which is a bunch of time lost driving on the tarmac. Again depends of your schedule and oh... it takes longer to fly to the practice area.

All this can be mitigated by the good instructor, which I will not be able to help you with as far as recommendation is concerned. The experienced forum member might chime it and help you there.

Blue skies,

Beefitarian
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Beefitarian »

Ontario, do you have extra money, free place to stay or something? I'm pretty interested to hear why Harv's got bumped.

DanWEC
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by DanWEC »

I have a loyalty to Island Air, but you will pay a large premium for your license if you do it in Toronto, and get the same training as you would anywhere else in Canada.
If you're planning on returning to your country of origin after, it doesn't really matter where in Canada you do it.
You could save 10k by getting a CPL outside of TO.

straightpilot
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by straightpilot »

Look at www.harvsair.com - they have lots of foreign students, and you're going to save $$$ compared to Toronto Island.

I am not associated with Harv's Air in any way - just a satisfied customer.

GTAFI
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by GTAFI »

Avoid Canadian Flyers.

PM me if you would like more info.

dcabrown
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by dcabrown »

Finished my PPL at Toronto Island recently.

I can't comment on Island Air or Canadian Flyers (although I know a very good instructor at Island Air), but the Toronto Island training environment is VERY expensive relative to other airports.

Someone mentioned you would save about $10,000 by doing your CPL elsewhere and thats no exaggeration in my opinion.

The main benefit to training at Toronto Island is you will be immediately immersed in a busy and diverse training environment and confident communicating with ATC.

And, well, the city views are pretty awesome.

warbirdpilot7
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by warbirdpilot7 »

FenderManDan wrote:I took a look at Canadian flyers first and then compared to the Island. The pricing as far as their services seems different but in the big picture it will cost more less the same (it's all pay me now or pay me later game). If you do not know anybody to recommend the instructor it will be a bit tougher for you.

I went for the intro flight with Canadian flyers and they have newer C-172R, however that is all they have. Island has more aircraft and more variety (age vise). I personally did not pick any of them since it would take ma a lot of commute time + ferry ride. YTZ can be very busy with the DASH8 traffic and lesson plan can be interrupted/changed every time.

I have heard number of times on the radio (http://www.liveatc.net/search/?icao=YTZ) pilot requesting touch and go and ATC would reply with the instruction for the full stop and back track/hold short, etc. Which is a bunch of time lost driving on the tarmac. Again depends of your schedule and oh... it takes longer to fly to the practice area.

All this can be mitigated by the good instructor, which I will not be able to help you with as far as recommendation is concerned. The experienced forum member might chime it and help you there.

Blue skies,
Where is the practice area for YTZ? Northeast of Downsview?

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

Where is the practice area for YTZ?
West of Claremont

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

We used to use the airspace off Scarborough over the lake when I instructed at the Island Airport.

The hardest thing about flying is knowing when to say no

After over a half a century of flying no one ever died because of my decision not to fly.
photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

How long ago was that?
1957 to 1960.

The hardest thing about flying is knowing when to say no

After over a half a century of flying no one ever died because of my decision not to fly.
photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

:lol:

Beefitarian
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Beefitarian »

Can't breath~laughing.

I heard Orville was not as nice as Wilber. What did you think Cat?

Juleit Sierra Sierra
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Juleit Sierra Sierra »

dcabrown wrote:Finished my PPL at Toronto Island recently.

I can't comment on Island Air or Canadian Flyers (although I know a very good instructor at Island Air), but the Toronto Island training environment is VERY expensive relative to other airports.

Someone mentioned you would save about $10,000 by doing your CPL elsewhere and thats no exaggeration in my opinion.

The main benefit to training at Toronto Island is you will be immediately immersed in a busy and diverse training environment and confident communicating with ATC.

And, well, the city views are pretty awesome.
hey dcabrown!!! thanks for the info , well can u tell me how much did it cost for you to complete your ppl at the island air???? n how much is the average cost for the cpl at YTZ. Is it gonna cost less if i plan on doin my cpl from markham.

Big Pistons Forever
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Big Pistons Forever »

photofly wrote:
Where is the practice area for YTZ?
West of Claremont
Yikes :shock:

MIQ
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by MIQ »

Maru Beltran wrote:However, which other Toronto school would you recommend price-wise? I live downtown Toronto. And trying to see if the commute to other flight schools will be worth it (given i'd save enough money instead)
Since Buttonville is closing soon there will only be Brampton left as far as I know. I also live Downtown Toronto and am currently training at the Island Airport. Really enjoy it a lot. Especially the fact that it only takes me 15 minutes to get there by bike. Wouldn't want to do the commute to any other airport. Saves me actually a lot of time and money. But I also don't have a car so I would rely on TTC. Plus I really enjoy practicing at a busy controlled airport like YTZ with all the Porter and Air Canada Dash 8 even though it's sometimes a little annoying when you're flying circuits.

Is there any school instructing out of Markham CNU8? That would probably be the closest one to the Downtown area.

FL_CH
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by FL_CH »

Canadian Flyers have a base in Markham CNU8
http://canadianflyers.com/markham.asp

I like that airport - uncontrolled, short & narrow, a little bit of a challenge in crosswind. You are in Practice Area 5 minutes after take-off.

CYTZ is breathtaking to fly out of, especially at night, but I hate seeing Hobbs turn while I'm number 3 behind two Dash 8s with 2 more on approach.

"Then from 1000 ft AGL until the final capture altitude, the A/C accelerates backwards up along the altitude profile with idle thrust"
whipline
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by whipline »

My other half attempted to do her private lic with Canadian flyers out of Markham a few yrs ago. Why this school hasn't been closed down is a mystery to me. I wouldn't spend YOUR money flying there. If your bored have a quick look http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/civilaviation/s ... e-3849.htm

Pick a school far away from Toronto or any large city that has a practice area right beside the airport. And whatever you do, don't put any money "on account."

Return to “Flight Training”