To All My Fellow Instructors...

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

Pugster
Rank 6
Rank 6

To All My Fellow Instructors...

Post by Pugster »

To all the instructors out there (especially the new ones that are still in first-paycheck shock) who work like dogs for poverty-line wages, it will pay off. The long days, the students with piss-poor attitudes, the bad-weather paychecks, the unpaid duties...And don't worry too much about employers that "don't hire" instructors - there's lots out there that are great employers that love hiring instructors as well as people from other sides of the industry.

Just remember to keep your head down, stick it out, and be as professional as you can. And have a little fun while you're doing it, damnit; you never know when you'll finally get the call and your time instructing will come to an end.

Mine did this week. King Air, here I come!!! And yes, I plan on doing a little instruction on the side still - but now it will be freelance and contract only for the "Cat-like" bucks!!
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
---------- ADS -----------

short bus
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by short bus »

congrats

Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

Pugster:

Great, Beech builds nice airplanes that go above circuit height and on above the clouds.

When you free lance you must remember you are a professional and as such worth fair pay.

I would suggest $50.00 per hour would be fair, if they want you to give them a receipt for the money you will be forced to raise your pay to $70.00 to cover your extra paperwork and expenses.

I never charge for briefings because it is poor customer relations to insult them by charging for small talk if you are not flying. Briefings are always tailored around each situation and can be done without you really losing much in the way of time or energy.

Don't worry about the student not wanting to pay the $50.00 per hour because as long as you know what you are doing they will learn more from you with your one on one relationship.

So have fun with the Beech and go out and find a common slut to celebrate with to truly become one of the pilot pool.

Cat

The hardest thing about flying is knowing when to say no

After over a half a century of flying no one ever died because of my decision not to fly.
TopperHarley
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by TopperHarley »

Congratulations! My former instructor also moved onto a King Air recently. It's nice to hear about movement in the industry!

‎"Never travel faster than your guardian angel can fly." - Mother Theresa
Ralliart
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Ralliart »

Hey P, good on ya!

Just remember the wife and kids if you choose to follow the last of Cat Drivers advice! :lol:

Alex

Pugster
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Pugster »

Ya Alex,

I'm not going to follow that advice any time soon. Might make for a messy situation (and not in the way that CD intended).

Thanks for the congrats!

Peter

flyincanuck
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by flyincanuck »

Congrats man, always good to hear a success story! Best of luck
Cheers!

skywatcher
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by skywatcher »

CONGRATS!!!!!! :o

Its great to hear about instructors moving forward. :D

Just wondering how much time/experience you have instructing?

cheers
fellow instructor:~)

Airtids
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Airtids »

Well done, Pugster. I see you're not BC anymore... where are you off to? Warmer or colder :wink: ?

Aviation- the hardest way possible to make an easy living!
"You can bomb the world to pieces, but you can't bomb it into peace!" Michael Franti- Spearhead
"Trust everyone, but cut the cards". My Grandma.
Pugster
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Pugster »

Well, lets just say that I won't have to be dealing with 40 degree summers playing on the lake anymore.... :smt047

No Conflict
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by No Conflict »

Congrats! Nice to see... give'r!

wha happen
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by wha happen »

congrats pugster

Its the way she goes boys, its the way she goes.

Lets sacrifice him to the crops.
wha happen
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by wha happen »

id like to add that it is nice to see everyone being supportive here, and not bitching about how that was their job. Good on all y'all.

Its the way she goes boys, its the way she goes.

Lets sacrifice him to the crops.
KAG
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by KAG »

Congrats!!!!
I remember when I got the same call, I was about as hyped as you.

it's nice to see movment in the industry, looking forward to running across you on some frozen apron.

Cheers.

The feet you step on today might be attached to the ass you're kissing tomorrow.
Chase lifestyle not metal.

Return to “Flight Training”