Help With CR-6!

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

ant_321
Rank 8
Rank 8

Help With CR-6!

Post by ant_321 »

Hey guys. I am writing my IATRA in a few days and several people have told me that they had a question on finding winds in flight. I cannot find the manual for my flight computer (CR-6, I'm too cheap for an electronic one) and was wondering if anyone knows how to do it off the top of their head. Thanks!
---------- ADS -----------

North Shore
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Re: Help With CR-6!

Post by North Shore »

Why don't you try working it backwards?
Plan out a flight: Course 218deg, speed 180kts, winds 312@ 18kts. plug that all in, and see what your heading and g/s work out to. then work it backwards and you'll see how it works... then take a few examples: 035 hdg, g/s of 220, initial course of 042 - what winds are there?

Several years ago, one of my first summer jobs was working for BC Ferries. They checked me out on all of the ramps - the machines that allow the cars to come on and off the ships. Didya get all that was the question? Yup, sez I, no worries (while the instructor was there) A few days later, and it fell to me to operate the ramp when the main ferry came into the dock. A full load of cars on board, ready to get off, and a parking lot full ready to get on. Could I work the damn thing? - NO. The Chief Officer of the ship had to come along and set things straight. Once everything was sorted out, he quietly took me aside and said: "Play with the toys." I've never forgotten that piece of advice.
---------- ADS -----------

Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?
Happiness is V1 at Thompson!
Ass, Licence, Job. In that order.

Return to “Flight Training”