Tail-Wheel training/checkout

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

Hawker
Rank 2
Rank 2

Tail-Wheel training/checkout

Post by Hawker »

Hey guys

I'm about to invest in some tail-wheel time probably at Future Air.
Anyone been through there for training or know of a good place to get it done in Southern Ontario?
How long should the training actually take? (hours wise)
Any tips or suggestions would be great too!

Thanks
---------- ADS -----------

chipmunk
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by chipmunk »

If you look inside your socks, you will find two things called "feet." Too many pilots forget how to use these things in airplanes once they no longer have an instructor barking at them about rudder use! With tailwheel flying (well, take-off and landing anyway) your feet will need to become your best friends. Warm 'em up, don't forget to look at the far end of the runway during take-off and landing, and have fun!

ps If you have some extra $ to burn I happen to know someone who does training on a Chipmunk in the Ottawa area... not cheap, but damn fun and you'll learn a LOT. PM me if you want more info.

Jungle Jim
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Jungle Jim »

Try Rick Drury at Muskoka. He's one of the best around.

Hawker
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Hawker »

What type of plane are they using out of Muskoka? (just out of curiousity)

Jungle Jim
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Jungle Jim »

I believe that Rick is using a Champ. He checked me out in my Stinson a few years back. Best 2 hours I ever had.

alpha1
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by alpha1 »

fighter combat international down in st. catherines used to have a decathlon, not sure if they still have it; i spent a few hours in it with the co. Prez Paul "Pitch" Molnar doing tail-dragger/upset recovery training, and it was the best training ive ever had.....

chipmunk
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by chipmunk »

FCI in St. Catharines apparently does not have the Decathlon anymore. A friend of mine had a gift certificate for it, but they called him and told him he'll be flying the Extra 300 instead.

Cap'n P8
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Cap'n P8 »

The school in Deseronto, had a citabria 7ECA for renting a few years back. Don't know if they still have it. It was pretty cheap. The name of the company is first nations air service.

"Hell, I'll fly up your ass if the money's right!"
Orlando Jones - Say It Isn't So
Mclovin
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Mclovin »

To the best of my knowledge FCI went out of business this past year. Too bad great guys there.

Aeros
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Aeros »

FCI is still alive and running. I just spoke with Pitch yesterday. They have received a government contract. They are busy trying to plan around the times that the Extra is required for this contract and aren't taking any bookings until they get it all sorted out. Bottom line, they are still there but if you are interested in geting the training done in the very near future they are not an option.

three-eighths
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by three-eighths »

Deseronto, btw. Belleville & Kingston. Great Citabria, cheap, Excellent instuctor. Very fun!

Return to “Flight Training”