Need some suggestions..

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

Charles Smith
Rank 0
Rank 0

Need some suggestions..

Post by Charles Smith »

Hi my name Charles and I began my flight training september in Victoria. Got like 18 hours into it all going good, went a wrote my PPL and get fail. But I never went back and took another shot at it, I never really liked my school as I went throught 5 instructors through my time and everyone would say something different. It almost felt like they werent there to teach to just earn hours for them self and to earn a paycheck.

Looked into other course in colleges around me and different work and cant seam to find something that really intrests me. I started to look into flying colleges like Moncton and others, my only down fall is my high school grades Math 11 was a C- and physics was the same. Didnt take English 12, I took Communications 12.

I'm 19 years old and would like to get the ball rolling on something. I didnt get into aviation intill around the age of 16 and now find my self reading about each day or flying on fs04.

Any suggestions out there, would be greatly appreciated.
---------- ADS -----------

Tango01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Tango01 »

Charles:

I would suggest that you find yourself a good instructor and continue with your training. Look for a career instructor and not some time builder. About the exam, you should finish ground school and take some time to review the entire course at home. The ideal ratio is 3:1. Three hours of home study for every hour of ground school.

Make sure you write a few practice exams, so you get used to the content and type of questions typically asked by Transport.

Don't worry about your high school grades, you don't need to get into an aviation program, just do something else along or after your aviation studies so you have some formal post secondary education. That will give you an advantage, but remember that hours, experience, who you know, etc are just as important.

The main idea is not to be discouraged by failing a test, it happens to the best of us. You need hit the books and try again.

T01

Timing is everything.
Miss Mae
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Miss Mae »

Just need to get hitting the books again. Failing a written exam or flight test has happened to many good pilots. As far as an aviation degree...not necessary. I went ahead and obtained 2 college diplomas along the way to have something to fall back onto in the event that I was to loose my medical. As far as the instructor thing...it really makes me mad to hear about instructors that use their students to build time without the students best interests at heart. Best thing to do, take a look at some of your local schools, and keep searching until you find an instructor that you "click" with. It will be worth the effort! :D

wha happen
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by wha happen »

hey charles:

sadly there are alot of instructors out there that are only in the game for time building issues. My suggestion is probably the same as everyone elses, talk to the instructors and get a feel for them, ask about how long they plan to stick around for, how long they have been instructing and ultimately what is there career goal. If their goal is to fly 777's chances are they will jump ship first chance they have to get on a twin. Find an instructor that you get along with, and if you dont have a good feeling about him, find another guy. There are quite a few instructors out there, so find one YOU like.

As for the written, dont worry about it, hit the books and try again. Dont be discouraged by it.

Its the way she goes boys, its the way she goes.

Lets sacrifice him to the crops.
LostinRotation
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by LostinRotation »

Wow not sure who you guys deal with but all the people that I know that moved up to another job or a twin ALWAYS either got their students finnished or handed them off to an instructor that fit their needs. I'm sure students out there get hosed, but the place I work, people are so nosey if anyone was ripping someone off everyone would chastize them pretty hardcore. The way I look at it...that student is me, 5 years ago. Everything that I wasn't taught right, they are going to know the first time around and I'll prolly do it cheaper. Just because I have ambitions of moving past instructing doesn't mean I'm a dirtbag that will " jump ship " on a student. Just because the aviation industry is selling us out, doesn't mean we all are morally corupt....who are we....Belinda Stonarch ?!?!

-=0=LIR=0=-

Sometimes I think it's a shame when I get feelin' better when I'm feelin no pain.

wha happen
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by wha happen »

wow, well put.

Its the way she goes boys, its the way she goes.

Lets sacrifice him to the crops.
fougapilot
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by fougapilot »

Lost, very well put.

In a previous life I was a flight instructor. It is how I built my time. There are a few out there who only do it for their personnal benefits, but the majority of instructors are professionnal enough to provide their CLIENTS with their money's worth even if they are only there to gain experience.

Charles, look around, search, you will find THE instructor that is good for you and if you really put your heart into it, you will prevail.

Best of luck,

D

Pugster
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Pugster »

Find some students at the school (especially if it runs commercial students with more than one instructor) and ask them who they would want to fly with.

Most of the time (I hate to say it) it isn't going to be the "instructor for life". It'll be an enthusiastic, professional instructor who is looking ahead but isn't forgetting about what is really important about instructing...the students.

And as said before, don't get discouraged by the fail...it happens to lots of people - just hit the books, ask LOTS of questions, and you'll do fine. And don't stress about your grades - even if you want to do an aviation program, there's ways around it (ie: upgrading your high school marks, etc.).

Best O Luck.

Walker
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Walker »

Charles if you are planning on staying in Victoria for a while I would suggest doing an academic program that is not directly affiliated with flying. I personally went through one of those college programs and frankly I was not impressed. From what I took out of it I think it was a total waste of 2 years of my life.....
The truth is grades really don’t matter for getting into most aviation college programs… And that is really how you can tell if the education you are spending so much time and money on is sub par or not. IF you are convinced that you want post secondary (its not always necessary) then find something that is serious enough to have enough demand that they need to weed people out with grades. Also check which universities will take the program for credit. If it won’t transfer to a mainstream university (NOT College) then you are probably wasting your time…

If you want a degree and to stay in YYJ then you will probably get a better bang for your buck if you get into UVIC or RRU. If your grades aren’t high enough don't feel ashamed about taking a year of two at Camosun etc.... watch what courses you take and they will just transfer over. RRU has a VERY fast Bcom program that I have heard a lot of good things about, and Uvic has one of the best Poli Sci departments in the country (As well as Law if you wanted to be a life long student :roll: ) And just as everyone else said, failing an exam is not the end of the world, I am sure we have all failed exams at some point in our lives, and if we didn't then we should, just to put us in our place.....

As for your instructor, I bet I could take a guess as to what school you are with..... And lets just say that I have heard it before.... Now I don't feel it is my place to suggest what other schools you should look at, but here is my 2 cents: There are 3 school in Victoria, and there is only one that I have heard these sorts of things about....

I hope that wasn’t too opinionated for you guys…

-walk

LostinRotation
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by LostinRotation »

Charles let us know what area your in and maybe we can suggest a good flight school or instructor that will focus on getting you where you want to be.....but first off you need to hit those books instead of the sim and understand walking away won't help you either.

Best of luck to you

-=0=LIR=0=-

Sometimes I think it's a shame when I get feelin' better when I'm feelin no pain.

~Hollywood~
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ~Hollywood~ »

Hey if you're interested you just look into Coastal Pacific Aviation in Abbotsford, right across the straight.

Good, experienced instructors always looking for the best for their students. You would probably have to pick up your math mark, but they would let you into the program as long as you are working on it. Anyways good luck.

Cheers http://www.coastalpacific.com

Pregnant Flight Attendant = Pilot Error
LostinRotation
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by LostinRotation »

captain_crane wrote:Hey if you're interested you just look into Coastal Pacific Aviation in Abbotsford
Good, experienced instructors always looking for the best for their students. You would probably have to pick up your math mark, but they would let you into the program as long as you are working on it

Captain crane:

......for t3h love of god man...if your going to give an opinion, don't be so blaitantly obvious...next time you give someone green like this advice...don't try to sell them something....

I especially like the " as long as your working on it line "
Almost gives the impression that your willing to do someone a favor and bend the rules to make them feel special, even though there is no real requirement and it's all B.S ..... remember.... if your feeding on the new people, your on tomorrows menu.

-=0=LIR=0=-

Airtids
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Airtids »

Charles, I have a great deal of knowledge about the operators in YYJ. Give me a PM and I think I can steer you in the right direction.

Aviation- the hardest way possible to make an easy living!
"You can bomb the world to pieces, but you can't bomb it into peace!" Michael Franti- Spearhead
"Trust everyone, but cut the cards". My Grandma.
~Hollywood~
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ~Hollywood~ »

Hey lost, maybe if I worked there then I would try to be selling him something....why would I do that if I dont work there?! So thanks for coming out on that one.

He wanted some opinions so I just let him know, cause Ive gone through the Coastal thing and I know what there about. Im not the person who would try to sell something like that. Coastal is a well respected school so why not tell him about it.

Pregnant Flight Attendant = Pilot Error

Return to “Flight Training”