Learning Curves

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

Switchfoot
Rank 4
Rank 4

Learning Curves

Post by Switchfoot »

Perhaps some of you more experienced instructors can shed some light on the subject of learning curves.

Some students who are slow starters end up becoming more proficient pilots over-all. Some that I've trained have showed consistency all throughout the training and then had a tough time near the end.

What do you think causes these lows? I've sat the student down and discussed other factors that could be affecting them (outside of flying), had them fly with other instructors, and tried to analyze every possible situation that I can think of.

It is becoming a bit frustrating for both the student and instructor now (and the thing is that this individual has the skills to complete the tasks required of them)! :? :(

Please shed some light if you've been in a similar predicament.
(Comments welcome from instructors and current students).

I guess we just never stop learning!!

Switch. 8)
---------- ADS -----------

Tango01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Tango01 »

MOTIVATION & DESIRE.

Timing is everything.
Dyck Hertz
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Dyck Hertz »

i really don't mynd when my female students have curves....the more curves the better :P

mcrit
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by mcrit »

Trouble near the end of training can come from a few sources. Most common is failing to master a prequisite skill. Another common one is trying to integrate to much info at one time (this really applies towards the end of training). The student ends up trying to monitor to many things at once and doesn't focus enough on any one of them to do them right.

desksgo
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by desksgo »

Dyck Hertz wrote:i really don't mynd when my female students have curves....the more curves the better :P
Is that a pleasant way of saying you like fat chicks?

Dyck Hertz
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Dyck Hertz »

desksgo wrote:
Dyck Hertz wrote:i really don't mynd when my female students have curves....the more curves the better :P
Is that a pleasant way of saying you like fat chicks?
hhhmmm!!! maybe not fat chicks but slightly plump. big & tall or short & small.....when it comes to chicks i like dem all :D

Dyck Hertz
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Dyck Hertz »

I know from my own personal experience when training for the instructor rating that if I flew everyday I would perform poorly. I really felt that training every other day was the best. Now I like flying everyday but still I'm sympathetic with students and encourage them to accept 'rest' as an integral part of their training.

Tango01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Tango01 »

:lol:

Timing is everything.
Right Seat Captain
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by Right Seat Captain »

Dyck Hertz wrote:I know from my own personal experience when training for the instructor rating that if I flew everyday I would perform poorly. I really felt that training every other day was the best. Now I like flying everyday but still I'm sympathetic with students and encourage them to accept 'rest' as an integral part of their training.
I think that's the most intelligent thing I've heard you say!

LostinRotation
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by LostinRotation »

I've had a few experiences similar to what your reffering to. Basically what I found was the " slower to learn students " placed more time into reading through excercises such as forced approaches, diversions and instruments due to past difficulties. Therefore they came into the lesson with eyes wide open and a general understanding of what was to come, did a better job, built confidence and therefore built up desire to push forward and now that they were doing well...wen't going to let that slip again.
The students with a higher confidence felt they could get by with flying skill alone, didn't do the homework (even if they said they did) and have a hard time getting the "mental picture" of whats expected. Coming off a cofidence high, these students tend to get frustrated far more quickly. Not being used to doing the homework they don't understand why they aren't "getting it".

Take it from one of the " slow learners " There is alot to be learned from the tortoise and the haire story. Break the lesson down to the basics and make sure the quick learners do their backround work.
Another good idea is do not allow your students to get too cocky...paise their good work, but keep them in check.....if you figure out how to do this...let me know how you did it :wink:

-=0=LIR=0=-

Sometimes I think it's a shame when I get feelin' better when I'm feelin no pain.

wha happen
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by wha happen »

tried and true method. Threaten them with the fuel stick, right across the knuckles on cold sakatchwewan mornings... works every time. Tap em once and the problem is fixed. Worked with me. :D

Its the way she goes boys, its the way she goes.

Lets sacrifice him to the crops.
LostinRotation
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by LostinRotation »

I hear tree branches works well too :smt064

-=0=LIR=0=-

Sometimes I think it's a shame when I get feelin' better when I'm feelin no pain.

Wasn't Me
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Wasn't Me »

Have your student fly with another instructor. Maybe he/she is just tired of listening to you talk and needs a change.

I wish I could spell
Shiny Side Up
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Shiny Side Up »

Some times I find near the end you gotta keep switching up the excersises the students are working on - If you find you seem to be pounding away with no success at a certain one, go do something else for a bit - sometimes you do better if you take a break and come back to it. For example if they're having trouble with the forced approach - go do some circuits, especially if they're good at those it gives them back that confidence boost. I'd agree with DH as well, sometimes they just need a break from it - its tough to convince students of that sometimes though so really make sure they know what your intentions are when you suggest it so they don't think you're trying to pawn them off (unless of course you are trying to pawn them off which is a different subject.)

Switching up the instructor depends on person to person. Sometimes the differing opinion is what they want, but other times they would prefer to stick with what they're comfortable with. In the end though I usually find that's a last resort. I had one student for instance who was terrified of flying solo - by putting him with a differing instructor it was sort of like taking his security blanket away, but not entirely, but it helped him move on.

In the end all it takes is patientce on your part and the will on theirs. After that all it is is time.

We can't stop here! This is BAT country!

Return to “Flight Training”