After instructor rating..

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

CanadaRyan
Rank 0
Rank 0

After instructor rating..

Post by CanadaRyan »

Hi Everyone,

I have been reading this Forum for a while now but just recently signed up. You guys have lots of great information to share! I have a question that I haven't been quite able to find an answer for, so hoping some of you have some insight.

I was curious to know what path a new pilot would take after they finish their instructor rating and have been instructing for a while? I've read that at that point you'd be qualified to be a bush pilot, others seem to suggest you would head off directly to a smaller carrier, say like Georgian. I guess I'm wondering if you can go to a small carrier without doing the whole bush experience, or would instructing give you adequate experience for a small carrier?

Hope I explained that well. Thanks in advance for your help.

Ryan
---------- ADS -----------

Big Pistons Forever
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: After instructor rating..

Post by Big Pistons Forever »

I would guess the vast majority of instructors do 1000 - 1500 hours of instructing and then move on to a Multi IFR job and then work their way up to a 705 job. I know one guy who went the float flying route and is now flying a CL 215.

Bottom line I think you can go anywhere you want, but pure VFR instructing does give you a limited experience base so moving on means you will need to apprentice to learn a new kind of flying particularly if you want to go bush/float. The trick is to leverage your instructing skills. That means get really good on the fundemental stick and rudder skills and get into the books particularly CARs, aircraft/engine systems knowledge, and Met

This business is not big and most jobs are filled through internal references or personal contacts. When you start your instructing keep your ears open and talk to everyone you meet, and most importantly work your ass off. A positive can do attitude will get noticed.

iflyforpie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by iflyforpie »

I know lots of people who have gone from instructing to a small carrier like CMA or Pacific Coastal. Instructing is wonderful because on paper it gives you the best chance to obtain the requirements for an ATPL--it's all PIC, and it is the only place where you can gain night PIC hours in a single engined commercial aircraft.

I wouldn't wait for 1500 hours though.. just get as much of that golden time as you can and move on when the opportunity presents itself.

chinglish
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chinglish »

I agree with the previous posters, don't do more than 1500 hours. I've met a few instructors that get "stuck" after that hour mark. Personally I started fire out resumes after 700 hours and found a gig at 900. If you wait too long it becomes difficult to get out of instructing.

fixnfly
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by fixnfly »

how long does it usually take to gain about 1000 hours TT by instructing?

jump154
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by jump154 »

fixnfly wrote:how long does it usually take to gain about 1000 hours TT by instructing?
Some where around 1000 hours perhaps?

Shiny Side Up
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Shiny Side Up »

fixnfly wrote:how long does it usually take to gain about 1000 hours TT by instructing?
With a reasonably busy market for flight training one could usually expect around 300 to 400 hours a year instructing. I think my busiest month ever was around 110 hours, summer will always be busier than winter, make hay while the sun shines.

Big Pistons Forever
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Big Pistons Forever »

My best year when I instructed full time was 900 hrs, but I did everything PPL, CPL, tail wheel, aerobatics and MEIFR so that helped keep me busy. The other factor was I practically lived at the airport so if stuff came up I was there.

I got several extra students by being there when the weather was crappy and talking up the walk in or phone in traffic. When they decided to start they wanted to fly with the "nice young man they met" :wink:

I also kept after my students. I can remember many days that started out crappy but cleared up in the afternoon. As soon as I saw things pick up I was on the phone hustling my students to come out.

ant_321
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by ant_321 »

With the way things are now it isn't too hard to land yourself a turbine job with a bit of instruction time. I landed myself on a 1900 with just over 600 TT.

ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by ahramin »

Big Pistons Forever wrote:I was on the phone hustling my students to come out.
Amazing that no school understands this. This would seem to me one of those basic customer service things that - like just about all other basic customer service things - are completely missing at flight schools.

Shiny Side Up
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Shiny Side Up »

ahramin wrote:
Big Pistons Forever wrote:I was on the phone hustling my students to come out.
Amazing that no school understands this. This would seem to me one of those basic customer service things that - like just about all other basic customer service things - are completely missing at flight schools.
Maybe its because too many of them are trying to emulate airline operations too closely. :P

Return to “Flight Training”