ag-training recurrency

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

lanceair
Rank 1
Rank 1

ag-training recurrency

Post by lanceair »

Hey all,
Well it's that time of year again. My boss is frantically trying to get his Thrushes ready to go for yet another season of ag-spraying. Last summer was awesome for us because all of our aircraft came back intact and they got lots of acres done. However, the summer before last, saw one ground loop and one crash, the former being explained off as a bad brake and the latter as "Get-home-itus" when he should have done a precautionary. Crop dusting is a risky business and their are lots of accidents each year some of which are preventable and others just explained off at being at the wrong place at the wrong time.

I should mention that i am a flight instructor and not an ag-pilot and my goal is to set up a mini ground and air program to get the ag-pilots ready for another safe season. Do you guys have any suggestions as to the air and ground exercises i should include in a one day course?

Thanks in advance,
Lance
---------- ADS -----------

Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: ag-training recurrency

Post by Cat Driver »

I should mention that i am a flight instructor and not an ag-pilot and my goal is to set up a mini ground and air program to get the ag-pilots ready for another safe season. Do you guys have any suggestions as to the air and ground exercises i should include in a one day course?
If I understand your question you are saying you have no ag-flying experience and want to set up a ag flying safety course?

DonutHole
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by DonutHole »

If that is true, that is genuinely scary

lanceair
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by lanceair »

Not at all. My boss owns a spray company and a flight school. I see no harm in going up flying with them (the ag-pilots) just before the season begins and helping them crack off the rust and perhaps review exercises they probably haven't done since ag-school.

lanceair
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by lanceair »

This would be purely in-house training and definitely not a revenue stream.

Adam Oke
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Adam Oke »

Here is a twist for a different perspective; My boss has in house maintenance. Should I run a rust remover for my AME? I should also mention that I am not an AME, but I have watched him snap some bolts from time to time. :wink:

In all honesty, being a flight instructor with no ag experience, you will bring no added value to the table in terms of ag flying re-currency training. It is not exactly something you can just pick up and start teaching without having done it first. Have you thought about approaching one of the experienced spray pilots to run this course instead?

DonutHole
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by DonutHole »

Im kind of wondering what kind of two seat ag aircraft they are running to do the training in.

trey kule
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by trey kule »

This is a troll....right?

You are going to "help" experienced ag pilots get recurrent.??? ..here is a program suggestion.
Keep them out drinking until 0200 and then get them up at 0400 to fly. Winters make them lazy, and you dont want them going into Withdrawl this early in the season.

I have read some ego enhanced posts in the past, but yours is pretty much right there with the best of them...I.would really like to hear what you think you can offer to an experienced agpilot, for recurrency better than another experienced agpilot.

This has to be a troll

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

Wow. Like flies round shit, gentlemen. Nicely done.

Colonel Sanders
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Colonel Sanders »

The poor OP must feel like Ricky Bobby riding the bus:

Bent wrench
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Bent wrench »

quote][/quote]The poor OP must feel like Ricky Bobby riding the bus:[

LMAO ! that's exactly how the Op is feeling right now, wishing he hadn't opened his mouth

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

Let's have a debate about how regular posters on Avcanada like to dance on the heads of less frequent contributors, for the entertainment of the gallery.

EDIT: Oh, I'm sorry - make that "let's continue the debate.."

CpnCrunch
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by CpnCrunch »

As Adam says, your best option might be to hire an experienced ag instructor. Harv's air has done courses in the past, and there's a freelance instructor here in Alberta who used to own a spray company and did ag training in the past with Harv. However you might have left it a bit late.

Beefitarian
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Beefitarian »

Ok, if I'm following the thread here, that's a clip from Talladega nights? I don't remember seeing it.

Jonathan Goldsmith
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Jonathan Goldsmith »

lanceair wrote:Hey all,
...when he should have done a precautionary.

Just wait for someone to beat up on Lance for ending a sentence with a preposition and completes it for him like this.

...when he should have done a precautionary washroom break.

TG
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by TG »

Well, I don't want to burst everybody's sarcastic bubble but I know guys at flight safety who are giving course on certain aircraft types (the Embraer Legacy comes to mind) while never having flown the aircraft itself...
I should be more precise: While never actually having flown anything bigger than light twin piston !
They do have hundreds or thousands hours on the Sim though. And they do know the aircraft systems inside out.

So yes, you can give a course on something you never touched for real.
Now, can you apply this to aerial work !? errrr ... :wink:

It would depend.

If lanceair is talking about removing the rust from basic flying (not spraying a couple of inches above ground and under wires like you all seems to imply) I see nothing wrong with that.
A tail wheel to do the job would be better! Go out, couple of touch & go, stalls, spins, etc...
If he is talking about a ground course, why not as well. You don't need thousands of flying hours do give a safety course on something. Just being well documented and know how to give the "message"

He is here looking for advises after all. So give some "constructive" ones instead of bashing him around like a little toy.

Jonathan Goldsmith
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Jonathan Goldsmith »

Go do some night flying with them. There will be a load that comes back twenty minutes later than dark.

Beefitarian
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Beefitarian »

So TG, you figure he might be thinking of doing more of a classroom thing, with lot's of decision making type of discussions?

I agree, He probably isn't intending to load everyone in a 150 and "Really show 'em how to do a proper forced approach from 3500' agl." There was something in the OP that could have helped the rest of us know that.
lanceair wrote:my goal is to set up a mini ground and air program to get the ag-pilots ready for another safe season.
Might have been better if he hadn't wrote "and air" or just expanded on what they planned on doing in the air portion of the course.

Hopefully the pilots will want to participate, if they just groan at the "4 bar" they won't get anything out of what could be a good opportunity for discussion.

pdw
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by pdw »

Not that many instruments ... (in the past anyway).

For inadvertant IMC and emergency exit of cloud/fog without instruments: Turn South (a floating compass at a 180 heading has same direction wandering as the turn tendency but shows it's turning that way at twice the rate it really is ... very sensitive) for keeping wings level while immediately positioning the elevator (stick) at normal position for 'full power climb', leaving full power until 'exit' is complete.

A buddy without instrument rating was participating in ferrying a group of crop dusters, and having entered cloud at low altitude (3000ft) after unsuccessfully making the '180degree turn' in time, used this method ("learned it from an experienced Ag pilot"), breaking out of cloud at around 12,000 ft before rejoining the group on the retreat.

Last edited by pdw on Wed May 15, 2013 2:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Big Pistons Forever
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Big Pistons Forever »

lanceair wrote:
Do you guys have any suggestions as to the air and ground exercises i should include in a one day course?

Thanks in advance,
Lance
I frankly do not see you having much to offer for air exercises but I could see you providing the intro to the ground school. Before they get into the nitty gritty of spraying I suggest you offer to do a review of the applicable CARs that apply to commercial ag work. Your guys probably know their regular spray areas like the back of their hand but if they have to go elsewhere a review of online weather products, FiSE frequencies, procedures to transit controlled airspace, and flight following would probably be usefull. Finally a review of company accident response policies is always worthwhile as many pilots are clueless of what not to do if they are involved in a incident/accident.

pm me if you would like to discuss further without the cheap shots.

Return to “Flight Training”