South African CAA Cpl to Canadian CPL

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

koostheron
Rank 0
Rank 0

South African CAA Cpl to Canadian CPL

Post by koostheron »

Good day all.

My name is Jacobus Theron. I am from South Africa motivated to advance my aviation career. I am the holder of a CAA Commercial Pilot License with a Grade 2 Instructors rating and multi engine experience. I have 878 hours total time with 484 instruction hours and 32 multi engine hours including a lot of bush and mountain experience. I have experience in Safety and Quality Assurance Management.

I would like to know if it is possible and how long the conversion process will take.
I have contacted the TCCA but have not recieved a respons yet.

Kind Regards
---------- ADS -----------

Colonel Sanders
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: South African CAA Cpl to Canadian CPL

Post by Colonel Sanders »

See CAR 421.30(9)

http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/civilaviation/r ... htm#421_30
(9) Credits for Foreign Applicants

If an applicant has met the flight time requirements specified in paragraph (4)(a), the applicant who holds a commercial or higher type pilot licence in the aeroplane category, issued by a contracting state is considered to have met the ground school requirement.
In it's elliptical way, TC is saying that you must

1) get a category one medical
2) pass the written (really computer) test
3) pass the flight test
4) get a passport photo taken
5) submit an application for a licence booklet

That's for COMM-SEL, VFR only.

You can browse that section of the CARs for information on
converting your MEL, IFR, instructor rating, etc.

Big Pistons Forever
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Big Pistons Forever »

Mr Theron

For all practical purposes there is no way for a low time pilot to get a flying job in Canada unless they already have the right to work in Canada. No employer will sponsor you because there is already a surplus of pilots with your level of experience who are looking for work and are Canadian citizens.

If you do have the right to work in Canada and you convert your licenses to a Canadian CPL, you will still be at a disadvantage because most employers would prefer to handle low time pilots who have amassed their hours in Canada and are therefor more familiar with how things work in this country.

CXALE
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by CXALE »

Agree with Colonel:

1) Get medical
2) Commercial written (pretty easy)
3) Commercial Flight test (Big difference with most countries, you have to do spin)
4) Multi Engine flight test (if you have 50 hours multi logged in past 12 months, the test is not necessary)
5) write INRAT
6) Group I instrument flight test
7) All done!! I think you can't convert Instructor rating, you will have to do it from scratch, but not 100% sure.
Ah!! you have to take the Restricted radio op test.

Good luck

Return to “Flight Training”