Please Transport Canada...

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

iSight
Rank 2
Rank 2

Please Transport Canada...

Post by iSight »

Dear Transport:

pretty please can you stop making me waste my time making sure my PPL students know things like the legal night requirements for an aerodrome with retro-reflectors? My student and I would like to get back to things that matter.

Thanks

K
---------- ADS -----------

MIQ
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Please Transport Canada...

Post by MIQ »

Make sure you know how far the runway edge lights need to be spaced apart. You might find yourself building a new runway next week and then wondering if it was 200ft or 60 meters...

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

iSight wrote:Dear Transport:

pretty please can you stop making me waste my time making sure my PPL students know things like the legal night requirements for an aerodrome with retro-reflectors?
Actually....what are the requirements? Just a landing light. What if only the taxi light works?

Big Pistons Forever
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Big Pistons Forever »

iSight wrote:Dear Transport:

pretty please can you stop making me waste my time making sure my PPL students know things like the legal night requirements for an aerodrome with retro-reflectors? My student and I would like to get back to things that matter.

Thanks

K
Well it gives you something to talk about after you have finished your lecture on LORAN theory.

Colonel Sanders
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Colonel Sanders »

and Flicker Vertigo.

Beefitarian
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Beefitarian »

The one that got my pants in a bunch on the PPL written was asking something about which minister is in charge of making air law.

I don't even know for sure why but I'm still angry decades later that someone needed to try so hard to fail to be important to me.

Colonel Sanders
Top Poster
Top Poster

which minister is in charge of making air law
That's essential knowledge for every pilot, Beef, so they
know who to call when they think up a new law.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

I'm sorry.. you mean there's actually someone in charge there!??

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
Beefitarian
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Beefitarian »

I know I'm all crazy but does anyone else think the main accomplishment of switching to the CARS, has been to prevent us from having any practical idea what the actual rules are?

I don't know anyone besides Colonel Sanders that seems to be able to find things. Even when someone finds what could be the right part, it's open to so much interpretation. :smt078

Colonel Sanders
Top Poster
Top Poster

This may sound crazy, but back in the 90's, when
TC was switching from the ANO's and Air Regs and
creating this huge monster called the "CARs", I
suggested that we simply use the FARs instead.

Would have saved us billions of dollars over the
decades. Didn't get past the harrumph stage.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JN99jshaQbY

Beefitarian
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Beefitarian »

Harrumph indeed.

Nwtflier
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Nwtflier »

Make sure you know how far the runway edge lights need to be spaced apart. You might find yourself building a new runway next week and then wondering if it was 200ft or 60 meters...
In all fairness I actually count the lights when lined up to see how much room there is. Having said that I don't know what the conversation from meters to feet is, but if that works out to be the same then I applaud your comedic post.

fish4life
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by fish4life »

Nwtflier wrote:
In all fairness I actually count the lights when lined up to see how much room there is. Having said that I don't know what the conversation from meters to feet is, but if that works out to be the same then I applaud your comedic post.
It can be very good base knowledge for a future IFR pilot in determining if he has 1/2 mile required to takeoff as well

iSight
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by iSight »

It can be very good base knowledge for a future IFR pilot in determining if he has 1/2 mile required to takeoff as well[/quote]

I have no problem spending time explaining that the lights are 200ft apart and how a pilot (PPL or otherwise) can use that knowledge to their benefit. But retro reflectors and LORAN and all other TC silliness? Wasted time.

Although I guess I should thank TC. They provide me with endless ground briefing which = income.

The thank you card is in the mail TC

Schooner69A
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Schooner69A »

SILLY EXAM QUESTIONS: You don't know the half of it. When I wore my "black hat", I was going over a written test with a student who had raised a query about one of the questions. He said there was no information in any of the TC references given from which to glean an answer. I ascertained that he was indeed correct and contacted the appropriate office in Ottawa with what nowadays would be called a "Whassup?" and indicated that the item in question should be struck from the exam.

Answer: OW was aware of the situation, but that they considered that there was enough information "out there" that validated the question. How the hell a student candidate was to find all this info "out there" was never explained.

PS The exam section (or whatever it was called) was run by someone with a degree in education and who understood bell curves and all that. As a pilot, it all seemed pretty hairy-fairy to me.

The military used to demand high pass marks but in doing so, were accused of "teaching to the test". And, I would have to say that this was probably a correct assessment. The majority of stuff that pertained to aircraft was necessary for the safe operation of same; it was no good knowing sixty percent of the info; at least ninety percent was necessary. (Although I do remember being introduced to the fuel system in a T-33 by technicians and being advised that I should remember the fuel levels at which microswitches in the center fuel tank activated and deactivated the transfer pump.)

Tranport Canada is probably still setting exams so that they get nice "bell curves" to validate their efforts. It's been a couple of lifetimes since I was involved, so anything may have happened; however, from the initial comments, it would appear that the players may have changed, but the game is still the same.

John

Beefitarian
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Beefitarian »

Most of the test just needs to be memorized. Example, You're taxiing and see a green flashing light from the tower. Now what?

Teaching the test is not a bad thing in my opinion. The only negative is getting a few people that can't know the concepts passing the written. I don't think they would pass a ride. I dunno.

AirFrame
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by AirFrame »

Schooner69A wrote:Answer: OW was aware of the situation, but that they considered that there was enough information "out there" that validated the question. How the hell a student candidate was to find all this info "out there" was never explained.
What was the question?

Schooner69A
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Schooner69A »

I was with TC in Moncton from '84-'90 so it was a few years ago. It had to do with something that was no longer used/out of date or somesuch, but the exam had never been changed. Rather than telling the Regions to not count the question, they accepted that most candidates would get it wrong. Bollox way to run a railroad, but that's the way it was.

John

Beefitarian
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Beefitarian »

The suns true bearing might actually be useful. Unlike Loran they have not shut it off.

I am coming around though. I think the test should be every couple of years just for fun. It weeds out guys like me that refuse to memorize who the minister of what is and how often a guy under 30 needs to see a CAME. Or the old acronym for CAME....

Beefitarian
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Beefitarian »

I'm with you. Here's my CPL test. Instead of that ridiculous pretend cross country, give me a light single and send me to check in at five surprise airports, anywhere on the continent. No written test needed. Who cares how I do it. Can I do the task?

I'll be using a watch E6-B pencil calculator and paper VNCs.

Return to “Flight Training”