TC to FAA licence conversion

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

Outlaw58
Rank 6
Rank 6

TC to FAA licence conversion

Post by Outlaw58 »

Im about to write the FAA ACP, CCP and ICP to convert my licenses to FAA IAW the standing MOU.

Has anyone wrote any (or even better ALL) of these recently? If so, what study package did you use to prepare for the exam? Any suggestions?

I am looking at the Gleim Online courses. Another thing I am trying to avoid is buying 3 study packages only to find out that 1 or more are just subset of a third one, i.e. the ICP is probably going to be largely covered by the ACP. Is that assumption correct?

Thanks for your help!!

JP
---------- ADS -----------

TXGR
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: TC to FAA licence conversion

Post by TXGR »

I recently took FAA CPL written and used Dauntless Software "Ground School". I used the same vendors for Transport Canada INRAT, PSTAR, etc.

I use it on my iOS devices. They have a website where you can upload results if you want to show an instructor your performance.

I scored 97/100 on the FAA CPL. You can take the full test or conversion special test, they count the same.

Good luck,
Brian

Outlaw58
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Outlaw58 »

TXGR wrote:I recently took FAA CPL written and used Dauntless Software "Ground School". I used the same vendors for Transport Canada INRAT, PSTAR, etc.

I use it on my iOS devices. They have a website where you can upload results if you want to show an instructor your performance.

I scored 97/100 on the FAA CPL. You can take the full test or conversion special test, they count the same.

Good luck,
Brian
Cool thanks!

I checked dauntless, it looks pretty good!

What I am trying to figure out is how much of the CPL/IFR question bank is used in the ATP test. Yes I'm cheap and would prefer not paying for the CPL/IFR package only to find out that they are the same questions found on the ATP.

Thanks again!

JP

TXGR
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by TXGR »

I am studying for FAA ATP with Dauntless Software now. The cost is pretty small. Certain sections are identical. Others are much different (eg % MAC), some performance questions, and all the part 121 and 135 specific rules. The CPL prep material is not enough (maybe 30% at most).

If cost is really an issue, just get the FAA official material. I believe the FAA publishes all the questions and answers. I know they do for other tests.

The explanations and format of Dauntless is well worth the price. I think the iOS version is cheaper than the PC/Mac version. I only use it on my iPod Touch and iPad.

Good luck,
Brian

TXGR
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by TXGR »

One other point...the ATP written process changes DRAMATICALLY after 31 July 2014 due to politicians passing some really absurd laws so they could pretend they fixed something and kowtow to unions.

After 31 July, you must spend a ton of money in courses (that don't exist yet) flying airline simulators.

If you intend to take FAA written in the next 2 years, do it by July.

V/r
Brian

Outlaw58
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Outlaw58 »

TXGR wrote:One other point...the ATP written process changes DRAMATICALLY after 31 July 2014 due to politicians passing some really absurd laws so they could pretend they fixed something and kowtow to unions.

After 31 July, you must spend a ton of money in courses (that don't exist yet) flying airline simulators.

If you intend to take FAA written in the next 2 years, do it by July.

V/r
Brian
Yup well aware and those will be done well before!

Thanks!!

Outlaw58
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Outlaw58 »

TXGR wrote:I am studying for FAA ATP with Dauntless Software now. The cost is pretty small. Certain sections are identical. Others are much different (eg % MAC), some performance questions, and all the part 121 and 135 specific rules. The CPL prep material is not enough (maybe 30% at most).

If cost is really an issue, just get the FAA official material. I believe the FAA publishes all the questions and answers. I know they do for other tests.

The explanations and format of Dauntless is well worth the price. I think the iOS version is cheaper than the PC/Mac version. I only use it on my iPod Touch and iPad.

Good luck,
Brian
Dang, a whole post just poofed :(

Was just saying that I am also studying for the ATP as well (converting an ATPL(H) to be precise) and was wondering what if anything, would be on the commercial/IFR exams that wouldn't be already covered in the ATP study packages. Found part of my answer this afternoon when I tried one of the free study units and while I found material not covered by ATP, that stuff was dead easy, very basic.

So far the studies are going bery well, I just wrote the SARON/SAMRA 2 weeks ago, so a lot of this stuff is similar, makes that studying that much easier.

Let me know how your studying is going! I am hoping to have all my exams by March 14.

JP

TXGR
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by TXGR »

Unfortunately, work is getting in the way of studying. I haven't progressed beyond a few sections specifically for ATP. I should blow this Popsicle stand in a few days and then have more time.

Good luck on the 14th,
Brian

onursix
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by onursix »

Hey all

Does anyone know anything about doing the REVERSE? That is, someone with an FAA applying for a TC License? Im an American, and have been told that all I need to do is take a 25 question multiple choice test on Canadian Air Law. Anyone with ideas how or what I need to study would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Colonel Sanders
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Colonel Sanders »

Big Pistons Forever
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Big Pistons Forever »

Does anyone know if the current agreement between the FAA and TC to convert a TC ATPL will change when the new FAA ATPL rules come into force. By that I mean will you still be able to just do a FAA medical, get the required TC paperwork to the FAA, write the one exam, and the FAA will issue you a FAA ATPL ?

Outlaw58
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Outlaw58 »

As far as know, the new rules only affect the prerequisites required to take the knowledge exams ATP (121) and ATA (135).

The only pre-requisite to take the conversion exam is the foreign licence verification letter and I don't see why the new rules would change that.

JP

matthew.oommen
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by matthew.oommen »

So now since I am getting my TC ATPL in a couple of months, it would be better to wait it out and do the 40 question conversion test rather than the full 121 test next week? (Before July 31)

nzharvey
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by nzharvey »

Big Pistons Forever wrote:Does anyone know if the current agreement between the FAA and TC to convert a TC ATPL will change when the new FAA ATPL rules come into force. By that I mean will you still be able to just do a FAA medical, get the required TC paperwork to the FAA, write the one exam, and the FAA will issue you a FAA ATPL ?

So has anyone got a real update on this since we are now post 31st July 2014? I've rung around the FSDO's from Oklahoma to Chicago, and Indianapolis and yet NO ONE is able to give me an answer and always just asks for an email address to get back to me - yet no answer from anyone.

I just need to know if i can do the TCCA ATP conversion to FAA ATP test and get my FAA ATP. I've got the foreign verification letter sitting waiting for me at the FSDO but yet cant find an answer if i can do the test or not?

Any progress in information would be greatly appreciated!

Outlaw58
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Outlaw58 »

nzharvey wrote:
Big Pistons Forever wrote:Does anyone know if the current agreement between the FAA and TC to convert a TC ATPL will change when the new FAA ATPL rules come into force. By that I mean will you still be able to just do a FAA medical, get the required TC paperwork to the FAA, write the one exam, and the FAA will issue you a FAA ATPL ?

So has anyone got a real update on this since we are now post 31st July 2014? I've rung around the FSDO's from Oklahoma to Chicago, and Indianapolis and yet NO ONE is able to give me an answer and always just asks for an email address to get back to me - yet no answer from anyone.

I just need to know if i can do the TCCA ATP conversion to FAA ATP test and get my FAA ATP. I've got the foreign verification letter sitting waiting for me at the FSDO but yet cant find an answer if i can do the test or not?

Any progress in information would be greatly appreciated!
My advice to you is if you got the verification letter in your hand, go write the conversion exam ASAP. Once you got all your papers, go to the nearest FSDO (book an appointment) in person and stand in their face until you walk out with your ATP certificate in hand.

As I previously said, the new rules only affect the pre-requisites required to obtain an ATP from scratch. I have not seen anything affecting the conversion and if there is, chances are the FSDO's still haven't got the memo and will revert to what they know, which is issue the certificate based on the agreement.

JP

**PS: Obviously I was wrong here and rules DID affect the conversion. See below **

Last edited by Outlaw58 on Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Outlaw58
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Outlaw58 »

matthew.oommen wrote:So now since I am getting my TC ATPL in a couple of months, it would be better to wait it out and do the 40 question conversion test rather than the full 121 test next week? (Before July 31)
bit late for a response *sorry*

But...

Conversion is much easier than going the full route and...

Any FAA exams (ATP included) are easy if you are well prepared and the reason they are easy is the prep material available is phenomenal. I used both Dauntless and Gleim and it was more than enough to get me ready. The Dauntless app for mobile device is excellent!

JP

nzharvey
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by nzharvey »

So basically because every single place ive called has said they dont see that there is a change and they'd have to do some research to get back to me on an answer would mean they havent actually received any update on procedures? How would it be possible for them to then issue me an ATP if there was infact a change (as ive been told by one person in Oklahoma, but not anywhere else) ? Is it on an as per standing physically in the office basis?? Much like customs and immigration is at the border and the onus is on them to decide yay or nay?

Wow... i guess it wouldnt hurt to then just go do the test and see what happens?? Ill look into it and post a reply if it works...

Cheers

nzharvey
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by nzharvey »

...Ok

Ive tried calling, Chicago, all over Indy, Oklahoma, and also the main headquarters at CATS. Firstly, No one will let me schedule an ACP ATPL Conversion exam, and secondly, the same lady at CATS says a 'valid groundschool' certificate needs to be in hand...

I have however found this...page 3. http://www.faa.gov/training_testing/tes ... matrix.pdf

** The ACP 40-question, 2.0-hour exam, which required no endorsement or authorization, is discontinued effective 8/1/14.
*** The effective date of the new ACP 60-question, 2.5-hour exam, which requires a training program certificate of completion as authorization to test, has not been announced as of the release of this version of the matrix

Acceptable form of authorization for ACP*** and ATM only:
• Certificate of completion of an Airline Transport Pilot Multiengine Class Rating training program. The certificate
must be issued by an authorized 121, 135, 141, or 142 training provider

I was also just told from Oklahoma that Embry Riddle is the only testing facility currently able to administer the ATP (ACP/CPT/??) ground course now required before doing the conversion exam and Oklahoma said that an ATP flight test is not required to receive the FAA ATP.

Outlaw58
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Outlaw58 »

nzharvey wrote:...Ok

Ive tried calling, Chicago, all over Indy, Oklahoma, and also the main headquarters at CATS. Firstly, No one will let me schedule an ACP ATPL Conversion exam, and secondly, the same lady at CATS says a 'valid groundschool' certificate needs to be in hand...

I have however found this...page 3. http://www.faa.gov/training_testing/tes ... matrix.pdf

** The ACP 40-question, 2.0-hour exam, which required no endorsement or authorization, is discontinued effective 8/1/14.
*** The effective date of the new ACP 60-question, 2.5-hour exam, which requires a training program certificate of completion as authorization to test, has not been announced as of the release of this version of the matrix

Acceptable form of authorization for ACP*** and ATM only:
• Certificate of completion of an Airline Transport Pilot Multiengine Class Rating training program. The certificate
must be issued by an authorized 121, 135, 141, or 142 training provider

I was also just told from Oklahoma that Embry Riddle is the only testing facility currently able to administer the ATP (ACP/CPT/??) ground course now required before doing the conversion exam and Oklahoma said that an ATP flight test is not required to receive the FAA ATP.
Wow big changes here!!! That is news to me. Thanks for the info.

Tell me more about the flight test not required... what are the conditions to receive the ATP? I wrote the full ATP before 31 july but I thought I had to do flight test to get the ATP. Need more info.

JP

nzharvey
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by nzharvey »

Currently as far as getting a full FAA ATP License through converting your TCCA ATP requires;

Foreign Verification Letter
Completed Ground School Certificate (im getting conflicting answers as to what that is called, either the Airline Transport Pilot Multiengine Class Rating training program or the ATP CPT training program.
Pass in the 40(now 60?) conversion exam
Appointment at an FSDO

and thats it, you should walk out with an unrestricted FAA ATP.

If you did the ACP Conversion exam PRE-31st July you now could walk in and get an ATP without any further procedure. However, because you wrote the full ATP exam I have no idea what that means... id say technically because you do not have a pass result in the ACP Conversion exam PRE 31st July, you would have to do the complete above, instead, what you have is a full ATP exam which would mean youd have to follow the new rules which would just require a flight test. Sorry man, thats a complicated one and good luck finding an answer from someone on that. You can be happy in knowing you have even some sort of exam done pre-31st July. That'll count for something.

Return to “Flight Training”