IFR readbacks

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

Dutchpilotguy
Rank 2
Rank 2

IFR readbacks

Post by Dutchpilotguy »

Hi all:

I'm working on a flight safety article and would like some input from everyone here.

If you read CAR 602.31 you will read that IFR aircraft are to acknowledge instructions and readback clearances, and while this is similar for VFR aircraft, the requirement to readback a clearance is solely based on a request to do so from ATC.
602.31 (1) Subject to subsection (3), the pilot-in command of an aircraft shall

(a) comply with and acknowledge, to the appropriate air traffic control unit, all of the air traffic control instructions directed to and received by the pilot-in-command; and

(b) comply with all of the air traffic control clearances received and accepted by the pilot-in-command and

(i) subject to subsection (2), in the case of an IFR flight, read back to the appropriate air traffic control unit the text of any air traffic control clearance received, and

(ii) in the case of a VFR flight, read back to the appropriate air traffic control unit the text of any air traffic control clearance received, when so requested by the air traffic control unit

Obviously during day-to-day operations, readbacks of instructions and clearances have become common place. This is a practice I truly appreciate, and if I were to take a weekend of my time and rewrite the CARs, I can assure you that this would be seriously re-worded.

My first question is however, why is it that if you bring this topic up, most will viciously defend readbacks (as though I don't appreciate them by pointing this out), and go on to say that they are required... The other response is a little bit more reserved and says that it has basically always been, and is a good practice.

Either way, the spirit of it is correct in my mind. My second question is: where did this common practice come from? Did this begin with company SOPs? Is there a circular or anything that I am unaware of? I'm aiming for accuracy in my article for obvious reasons, and this aspect of direct controller-pilot communication needs to be looked at. Any insights would be great! Thanks!

Dutch
---------- ADS -----------

Dutch
Ki-ll
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: IFR readbacks

Post by Ki-ll »

I see your point: CARs do not specifically state that clearances should be read back by VFR flights.
However, I personally would not look at the CARs as a sole source of information on this topic.

What always baffled me is the absence of a Radiotelephony Manual for Canadian pilots, there is very little guidance on how to conduct yourself on the radio in Canadian Airspace and there is also very little guidance on this from the training institutions. When I started flying I basically learned to do two things:
1. If VFR read back last three digits of registration.
2. If IFR read back full clearance.
After flying for several years I discovered that it is not quite that simple.

Standard Phraseology is mentioned in AIM and advisory circulars, but I was never able to find it in any TC publications. If it exists please point me in the right direction.
So I had to look for guidance elsewhere and I found some good documents from ICAO, which are:
1. ICAO DOC 9432 - Manual of Radiotelephony
2. ICAO DOC 4444
3. Parts of ICAO Annex 10
We are an ICAO country after all, so all the differences between our regulations and ICAO standards are listed in Canadian laws and procedures and whatever is not listed comes from ICAO.
Taking into account all of the above you will find that ICAO 9432 lists the following items that must be read back:
1. ATC Route Clearances
2. Anything associated with a runway (cross/backtrack/take off/land etc.)
3. Runway-in-use, altimeter, SSR code, altitude/level instructions, heading, speed.
---------- ADS -----------

Return to “Flight Training”