Need advice!

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

danishroy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Need advice!

Post by danishroy »

I am 22 and starting my ppl in lethbridge this November and once I am done that I plan to do my cpl, multi engine, instrument, etc. I am currently a 2nd year heavy duty mechanic but my true passion is to become a commercial airline pilot. I am planning to work my butt off and save up as much as I can to pay for my training because I dont want to be in debt as I know you make peanuts to start in the industry. Now my question is, should I keep working as a mechanic and finish my trade. Or should I go to college and get a diploma. Because I heard major airlines won't hire you without some sort of diploma. Is that true? Will my trade journeyman ticket count towards anything when I'm applying for airlines?
Just looking for some advice on how I should go about this?
Is 22 too late to try to start training towards a career in airlines?

Thanks in advance!
---------- ADS -----------

Big Pistons Forever
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: Need advice!

Post by Big Pistons Forever »

Get your journeyman papers in your trade. The best possible scenario is to have a CPL MEIFR done and no debt, with a well paying portable trade to keep you fed until you land a job.

My personal observation is that outside of Air Canada, not having a degree is not a significant detriment to getting on with an airline. Lots of good time, ie Turbine, Multi, PIC with a good attitude and solid references are what is getting pilots hired to the 705 operators.

danishroy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by danishroy »

Alright, another thing is I won't be a journeymen until I am almost 26-27 years old, do you think that's an ok age? Or is that starting to get a bit old to become a airline pilot?

SuperchargedRS
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by SuperchargedRS »

You'll be fine at that age, get your trade in order then off to flight training, not having that debt will also give you a HUGE advantage over your peers.

Also you can always get that degree online, college isn't really what it was for our parents, go get a BS in BS online, heck at Utah Valley College you can even get credit for your flight ratings (maybe your trade stuff too). Do the rest of the online degree crap while your CFIing or working the bush.

danishroy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by danishroy »

Ok alright, just one last question.
Let's say I'm done my trade and starting training what should my path look like?
I just like to plan for everything in advance,
So what would it look like from let's say from ppl to a job in the right seat at a regional or any airline?
Just want to know what I should be doing through the course of my training.

cbty
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by cbty »

It is a chaos, some want a degree but others don't want it. Real issue is just money, without it you will never be a pilot or never ever fly.

JungianJugular
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by JungianJugular »

danishroy wrote: I am planning to work my butt off and save up as much as I can to pay for my training because I dont want to be in debt as I know you make peanuts to start in the industry
You don't need any advice, mate.

Good luck. Work hard. Ignore the negativity. Keep up a great attitude. Have fun. Attitude matters most.

Return to “Flight Training”