GO PRO AND HD SUNGLASSES

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

ItsJustMurray
Rank 1
Rank 1

GO PRO AND HD SUNGLASSES

Post by ItsJustMurray »

Starting my flight training soon and was just thinking about how nice it would be to have a go pro or a set of HD VIDEO RECORDING SUNGLASSES to record each lesson so at home I can watch and review as well as have for my personal collection.
Is this something flight instructors may have an issue with and should be discussed prior or what are some thoughts and opinions on this and how to go about it.
---------- ADS -----------

Cessna driver
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: GO PRO AND HD SUNGLASSES

Post by Cessna driver »

Unless you had a plug to go right into the intercom, you likely wont hear anything

7ECA
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by 7ECA »

I've got a camera that I've been looking to sell for a while. It is an Nflightcam +2 (a modified Contour +2 camera), it comes with a modified lens to alleviate propeller blur, and also has a cockpit/intercom audio cable.

To be honest though, you are really better off just focusing on your training, rather than taking videos. Listen closely, and take notes during the PGIs and debriefs.

ItsJustMurray
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by ItsJustMurray »

well of course I will be focusing on the training but having a video recording of everything that happened as well as the audio between me and my instructor to keep for my own collection as well as at home review seems like a great idea to me. Just not sure how to sell the instructor on that, I am not sure if that would make someone feel uncomfortable or not.

Cessna driver
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Cessna driver »

IMO, i would be against it,
Distraction, may be sitting uncomfortably to take a video, uncomfortable, not going to learn, waste of time

Im also not one for video/picture cameras

Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

ItsJustMurray, when I was in the advanced flight training business I used to do a lot of type ratings in PBY's.

The most difficult part for the student was landing on the water, the best training aid I had was I would video all the touch and go landings and when the flying was finished the debriefing was done using the video.

When there was a problem with a given landing I would freeze the video and have the student show me where he was looking at that moment by pointing a red laser to show me where he was looking and what he was seeing.

It was hands down the best training aid I ever used.

Forget worring about audio because it is the sight picture you use to understand what you are doing wrong.

When you and the instructor review the video what was said is not all that important, how you were handling the airplane is the important issue.

Just my opinion.

. E.

Last edited by Cat Driver on Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
The hardest thing about flying is knowing when to say no

After over a half a century of flying no one ever died because of my decision not to fly.
ItsJustMurray
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by ItsJustMurray »

Cessna driver wrote:IMO, i would be against it,
Distraction, may be sitting uncomfortably to take a video, uncomfortable, not going to learn, waste of time

Im also not one for video/picture cameras
A goPro camera is mounted and hd sunglasses are worn. No one would actually be doing the video recording by hand.

Cat Driver- I agree, could be very helpful imo as the whole flight and everything I was doing is recorded so it can be reviewed or re watched by myself at the very least. There are many videos on you tube of people recording there flights and I don't see it as a waste of time just not sure how to position the idea to my trainer as he is a bit older and not sure if he would look at it from the other commenters point of view. If he does by chance say NO, is that a signal to switch schools or just be bummed out that I wont be able to record all my lessons heh

I Don't want to jeopardize my training quality just because my instructor is camera shy and is acting differently then he would normally since he knows the lesson is recorded.

Docbrad
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Docbrad »

Just don't put it on YouTube for the world to see

My two cents

Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

I Don't want to jeopardize my training quality just because my instructor is camera shy and is acting differently then he would normally since he knows the lesson is recorded.
The recording I do is video.....no audio.

The video is a recording of the flight path, attitudes flown during the approach and landing and is recorded at the eyel level of the pilot flying as he/she sees it.

In that there is no audio your instructor is not recorded therefor he should not be concerned about his being in the recording.

For debriefing and reviewing your past performance nothing beats a video of what actually happened.

From an instructors standpoint it is a perfect method of pointing out where the profile became unstable and having the student put a laser dot on where he/she was looking and what they thought they were seeing makes it much easier for the instructor to correct the students mistakes.

I understand your concerns that your instructor may not want to include video in the teaching environment, generally that is because the instructors have never used video as a teaching aid and they are generally very programmed in how T.C. and the industry demands they teach.

The minimum hour requirement for the PPL is 45 hours.

The average time flown for the PPL is between 60 and 100 hours.

So how is their way looking?

Oh by the way, who is paying for your training you or your instructor?

After over a half a century of flying no one ever died because of my decision not to fly.
ItsJustMurray
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by ItsJustMurray »

And I realised this, The minimums and the average are a bit off hah
I have been studying online ground schools as well as researching as much as I can, watching lessons that were recorded and posted on you tube and basically anything I can.
My goal is to have a great understanding before beginning my lessons so that hopefully in return my lessons go a lot smoother and I am able to focus more on the flying and less trying to understand what the heck he just said :)

Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

For sure the world of learning to fly is something one needs to look at critically to make the process as smooth as possible and keep the costs within reason.

You have asked for advice here which is a good thing.

The problem you now must solve is which advice is best, as far as using a camera to record your flying you have two very different opinions so far.

Let us know how you solve the problem.

Shiny Side Up
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Shiny Side Up »

I understand your concerns that your instructor may not want to include video in the teaching environment, generally that is because the instructors have never used video as a teaching aid and they are generally very programmed in how T.C. and the industry demands they teach.
Since I've gotten a hold of a Go Pro myself I've been playing with this a bit seeing when and where video helps out. The one thing I've discovered is that if I set up and run the camera then it becomes useable stuff. If the student does though, then it becomes way too much of a distraction for the student, and often they don't set it up to maximise what's important to the learning process. Case in point, most students will fuss around with devices to record the radio, since they view that as the most important part, as well as focus the cam on the instruments, or themselves. In the worst cases you'll get some who are way too interested in becoming the next Flightchops so will start doing stuff specifically for the camera. I just can't be bothered to fuss around with someone who its more important to be a youtube star rather than fly the airplane.
The minimums and the average are a bit off hah
That depends on where you go. We just had a student finish in less than the 45 hours of airplane time if you can believe that (they had glider time to count towards it) and we finish students in under 50 hours on a regular basis. The chief thing that governs whether they do or not tend to be how continuous their flight training is.

We can't stop here! This is BAT country!
gaamin
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by gaamin »

Last edited by gaamin on Fri Aug 19, 2016 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

Since I've gotten a hold of a Go Pro myself I've been playing with this a bit seeing when and where video helps out. The one thing I've discovered is that if I set up and run the camera then it becomes useable stuff.
Exactly...you are the teacher therefore you control the teaching medium.
If the student does though, then it becomes way too much of a distraction for the student, and often they don't set it up to maximise what's important to the learning process. Case in point, most students will fuss around with devices to record the radio, since they view that as the most important part, as well as focus the cam on the instruments, or themselves. In the worst cases you'll get some who are way too interested in becoming the next Flightchops so will start doing stuff specifically for the camera.
The last thing they should be looking at is the instruments during this phase of their flying and the last thing they should have in their minds is there is a camera recording the outside picture...they see that during the post flight debriefing.

Once again..... recording the audio is not needed nor beneficial in most cases....except maybe to the teacher.

ItsJustMurray
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by ItsJustMurray »

Well in the end I am about to pay a lot of money for this training.
If I feel I can benefit from simply mounting a gopro or buying a pair of those HD video recording sunglasses then I think that should be perfectly acceptable.
Even if I use it to show friends or family or to have for my personal collection to look back on one day I think it would be great to have recordings of me flying.
No I would not act differently because there is a camera haha no one really cares enough for me to have to do that anyways!
Also the ability to re watch my flights as I go along in my training will keep everything fresh in my mind as I will be basically re living the moments in my head, remembering what I felt I wasn't so great at and what I found went smooth ect.

I don't want to be the star of the video with it aiming at my face the whole time, can you guys recommend where and how you guys mount the camera for optimal view.
I know to most the HD camera sunglasses may seem cheap or low quality but technology has come a long way and you can pick up pairs from future shop that record in HD 1080p and essentially allow you to record exactly as you would see it.

My instructor is an older man, very blunt! I like that to be honest, I want an instructor who isn't going to sugar coat anything. I want to know what I am doing good and what I am doing wrong or not so good so that I can improve and I feel his straight up style attitude would work best for me. I also fear when I mention a go pro he will just say no, u don't need that and instantly shut down that idea. Just need to figure out how to position the idea to him or just show up with the gopro lol

5x5
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by 5x5 »

Since we're talking opinions, here's mine - it's not worth it. I admit I don't quite understand today's penchant for people wanting to record everything they do with YouTube videos everywhere and selfies using up who knows how much internet storage space. But I digress.

Recording your flight will only mean you have the same 1.2 - 1.5 hours to go through again. What exactly are you going to see that you didn't at the time? Since the recording will not be from a different vantage (e.g. Outside the aircraft) you won't see anything different. As for what happened during the lesson, hopefully your instructor pointed out the things that were done well or weren't done well along with suggestions for improvements. If you did happen to see something in the video that you think the instructor missed, what kind of situation is that going to create? I'd hazard a guess that likely you would see something and misinterpret it. This would lead to a discussion with the instructor, a disagreement and a need to view that part of the video together to see what is under dispute. At that time you will likely each have a different recollection of the situation leading up to the specific moment, nothing will be solved and a lot of time will be wasted.

Video review can be very useful for performance improvement (as in high performance sports) but only with footage from various angles and with a ton of time spent by coaching staff to review and select the actual learning moments. Not something an instructor can or wants to do.

I guess I don't see much, if any, upside and potential for a lot of downside. Basically a no-win situation.

Being stupid around airplanes is a capital offence and nature is a hanging judge!

“It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.”
Mark Twain
Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

Recording your flight will only mean you have the same 1.2 - 1.5 hours to go through again. What exactly are you going to see that you didn't at the time?
Exactly.....

When the approach....flare....landing go wrong there is a point in time where the airplane attitude has changed or a change in wind / mechanical turbulence / thermal turbulence causes the attitude / flight path to change.

A review of the video after the flight will show where and when this change took place.

By stopping the video at that point it and asking the student to put the laser dot on the point at which he/she was looking and what they are seeing allowed me to better understand the picture the student had at that point in time.

Quite often the student was looking at the wrong point ahead and thus was slow in recognizing there was a departure from the planned flight path starting to occur.

The sooner the student sees a departure from the profile starting the easier it is to correct it.

At least that was what I found.

New_PIC
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by New_PIC »

If your instructor doesn't go for the camera, consider making notes after the lesson. An instructor recommended I do that once and, though I was skeptical, I tried it. I remembered a lot more detail than I expected to, once I actually started writing it out, and it reminded me of a number of points that had been mentioned during the lessons that I might otherwise have forgotten. If you can review some of these details a few times yourself, the instructor may not have to repeat them quite so often. :wink:

Shiny Side Up
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Shiny Side Up »

The big thing with bringing such devices to a lesson is make sure that you can organize things so you're not wasting time. As the instructor, when I've wanted to try out the camera I have things set up before they arrive, and take it down after they've left, so I'm not fiddling with technical stuff on the student's time. As a student though, since you probably don't control the aircraft's availability, this is harder to do. So if you are going to try it, make sure you've thought up everything to do before hand. How its going to be mounted, how you're going to activate it, etc.

This can be said of any gizmos one might want to integrate into one's flight training. Personally as an instructor I discourage them since it always seems that students can't be asked to not spend too much time and attention screwing around with them, which in turn means wated airplane time - which of course as an instructor, I'll take the blame for when your license takes longer than you think. So I'm somewhat loathe to encourage anything I think is going to detract from the efficiency of the lesson. Students really don't seem to like to pay for my time they waste, so I don't like to be an enabler of them wasting my time.

We can't stop here! This is BAT country!
Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

ItsJustMurray I probably should not have posted my opinion on the use of a video recording device on a flight training forum because using such a device is not part of ab-initio flight training therefore it is unlikely it is used much.

P.M. me and let me know what your instructor decides.

Return to “Flight Training”