Getting Back into Flylng.. documents advice needed

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

darkskyequeen
Rank 1
Rank 1

Getting Back into Flylng.. documents advice needed

Post by darkskyequeen »

I don't know what came over me but for the past few months I have had this real strong desire to get back into flying after 20+years. What a weird feeling of relief it is now to make it a commitment. I received me glider license through air cadets back in 1992 and I really haven't flown a ton since then due to university, then work, family etc. Anyways now that life is less chaotic I want to get my PPL and get back to what I've always wanted to do. The only problem is that I don't know where to begin with getting my old documents updated. I have an old LVC certificate, and a green paper glider license with my maiden name on it (I've since got married and changed my last name). Can anyone tell me what I need to do first and what documents I should obtain first. I have noticed that the aviation documents have changed majorly since the 90's and now everything is in a book form. Should I be contacting TC first with the name change or just get the medical first before applying for the booklet?

Any help will be appreciated and I apologize if a similar case has already been discussed in the forums. After getting sorted out I'll be looking into starting private pilot training in the spring. I'm really looking forward to this!!!
---------- ADS -----------

xiz
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Getting Back into Flylng.. documents advice needed

Post by xiz »

The big difference will be that where once we had a license and a separate medical certificate, these are now bundled together in an 'aviation document booklet'.

The application is here
http://wwwapps.tc.gc.ca/wwwdocs/Forms/2 ... 6-05_E.pdf
Big difference is that the booklet requires a passport photo, whereas the old one, of course did not.

From there, I believe, you can re-qualify for a medical by finding a Transport Canada Civil Aviation Medical Inspector.

http://wwwapps.tc.gc.ca/saf-sec-sur/2/c ... x?lang=eng

Who would be able to sign you off for a CAT 3 medical.

Basically, this will replace your license and medical, but it WILL NOT replace your radio license. If you still have that, KEEP IT! It doesn't expire and is required along with the booklet. I actually have kept my old license holder specifically to hang onto my radio license. Some clubs are really picky about this and may ask to see the radio license prior to going flying.

With booklet, medical and radio license in hand, find yourself a good school, and in particular a good instructor. They should go over a full review of all flight test items, as well as things like a walkaround, and airspace procedures for the airfield you're flying from.

Have fun! I went through the same process just over a year ago ... got my license with the cadets in 1985 and didn't do much with it afterward. I was signed off to solo late last year, and have started to slowly accumulate some fun hours.

Good luck!

Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

I have no idea where my radio license is, but I do have my pilots licenses in that abortion of a booklet.

The license is a fixed wing airline transport and a commercial helicopter license.

Is it possible T.C. Issued me those licenses and I never got a radio license?

The hardest thing about flying is knowing when to say no

After over a half a century of flying no one ever died because of my decision not to fly.
nbinont
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by nbinont »

Cat Driver wrote:Is it possible T.C. Issued me those licenses and I never got a radio license?
Maybe. TC doesn't manage the radio side - that's Industry Canada (http://www.ic.gc.ca/eic/site/smt-gst.ns ... 01397.html). It's not part of your Aviation Document Booklet. I don't believe TC verifies that you have a IC ROC-A when you get your pilot licence. Though you are required to have one using a Canadian aviation radio!

B-rad
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by B-rad »

Aside from having your radio licence which I would imagine could be replaced, I can't think of why you would need to update anything to start on your PPL. Once you go to a flight school they will basically be starting you off from scratch and you don't need any documents to get started.

If your question was just in regards to updating your glider licence so you can go gliding again, I would suggest applying for the document thru TC first with the photo and updating your name and then getting a medical done. I'm not familiar with the glider licence but that is the order I think is most reasonable to get started.

In regards to Cat Driver, I don't think your comments are really helpful to answering the OP's question and perhaps would be better suited in your own thread rather then trolling to hijack this one.

My ambition is to live forever - so far, so good!
ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by ahramin »

Check with Transport Canada first as you may not be able to apply for your licence booklet without a current medical. Might have to do the medical first.

xiz
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by xiz »

ahramin wrote:Check with Transport Canada first as you may not be able to apply for your licence booklet without a current medical. Might have to do the medical first.
Good point ... I had kept my medical valid and applied for the booklet while still holding a valid Cat III.

That being said, it is indeed Industry Canada which administers the radio license. I had lost mine and had to re-do the test to get a new one. Irritating, but no biggie, and now that it's done, it never expires.

New_PIC
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by New_PIC »

A few years ago I restarted PPL training after about a 28 year lapse. I don't recall now exactly what order everything was done but I'm pretty sure I got my new student license before I completed the Cat 3 medical. The new student license had the same number as my original which I did still have. TC and my FTU counted all my previous hours too. I hadn't done the radio test though, or had forgotten all about that part, so I did or re-did that test.

Edit: the student licence was just a piece of paper though. I didn't get the booklet until I earned the PPL.

Wildbill
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Wildbill »

COPA has a booklet on getting back into flying.

http://www.copanational.org/files/COPAG ... Flying.pdf

That was my starting point that got me back into flying after a 39 year absence.

darkskyequeen
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by darkskyequeen »

Funny the radio license is the one thing that I can't find. It was such a small piece of paper. I will check Industry Canada's site to see if I can get it reissued. I think I saw a text on their website relating to that. If not I guess I can just retake the test. I remember it being a quick and straight forward one. If I get my glider license stuff sorted then I believe I don't need to apply for a student license. Correct me if I'm wrong. I tried calling TC but the person on the other end was kind of chuckling about how old my license documents were and in the end they weren't really helpful. I may call again with hopes to get someone else.

Anyways, thanks so much all for the feedback and advice.. I meant to connect back to the forums earlier but got so busy. BTW I went on an awesome night flight with a friend around Toronto... best experience that I will never forget!!!

Happy flying and perfect wx everyone!

Grey_Wolf
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Grey_Wolf »

As for reissuing, here's the contact info:

The Radio Operator Certificate Service Centre can be contacted at the following address:

Industry Canada
Radio Operator Certificate Service Centre
2 Queen St. East, Sault Ste. Marie, ON
P6A 1Y3

Telephone: 1-877-604-7493 or 705-941-2001
Fax: 1-877-604-7491 or 705-941-4607
Email: spectrum.certificates@ic.gc.ca

Hours of Operation: 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. (Eastern Time)

"A good traveller has no fixed plan and is not intent on arriving." -Lao Tzu
darkskyequeen
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by darkskyequeen »

Thank you so much Grey Wolf!!

DonutHole
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by DonutHole »

Radio license is a lifetime certification. Do the test once and replace license by talking to people in the above links

ea306
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by ea306 »

Cat Driver wrote:I have no idea where my radio license is, but I do have my pilots licenses in that abortion of a booklet.

The license is a fixed wing airline transport and a commercial helicopter license.

Is it possible T.C. Issued me those licenses and I never got a radio license?

Hi .,

Good Question.

It is very possible that T.C. could of licensed you and did so without granting you a Radio Licence. I know as this happened to me. One day in 1986 an Inspector from Industry Canada contacted me to advise me that their records showed that I had not been issued a Radio Licence even though I had a Private Pilots Licence at the time. He suggested that unless I wished to continue to operate NORDO that we should meet up over at the local coffee shop there in Slave Lake AB and do the test. He brought out his type writer and issued me the licence right then and there.

So there you go guys. A good question....and here is your answer.

Big Pistons Forever
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Big Pistons Forever »

My first license was issued in 1977 under the old regional format. It was a wallet size piece of paper and had a check box for the radio license, so no separate radio license was issued. When they went to the new format in the 1980's you had to apply to get the separate radio license.

ea306
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by ea306 »

Thanks BPF
I got started in Aug 78...but as a teenager it took me a few years to complete the PPL. Got mine in 1983.

darkskyequeen
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by darkskyequeen »

Called Industry Canada and getting the replacement radio certificate is really easy. They just told me to email them with my name, date of birth and mailing address. If you are on file they will send it. For me since I need the name change I will have to send them a pdf of my marriage license. Also I just sent in my application for the Aviation Document and will be booking my medical soon. Making progress!!!!

Pop n Fresh
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Pop n Fresh »

darkskyequeen
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by darkskyequeen »

This is great! Thank you!!

Highflyinpilot
Rank 8
Rank 8
Location: Holy Hell, is that what you look like in the morning

Post by Highflyinpilot »

Just an FYI for anyone interested, you do not need a valid medical certificate to update your licence to the new booklet style, I know cause I updated my old blue paper licence to the new booklet style a month ago, and already received my updated licence without a valid medical, my medical expired 3 years ago and still got updated without a hitch..now to go get me my medical.

Return to “Flight Training”